Quantcast

Guns don't kill people......

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
How does one exactly acquire a gun illegally? I am only really familiar with Virginia laws but it seems I would have to go out of my way to get one illegally.

-Convince licensed dealer to forgo background check and waiting period for a handgun.
-Steal it
-Buy one I knew was stolen
-Do something illegal with a gun
-Be a convicted felon (outside of a licensed dealer it is up to the felon to self-police when buying from a private owner)

-Conceal without permit
Those are the key issues.

The first crime of most criminals is not murder or armed robbery.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Those are the key issues.

The first crime of most criminals is not murder or armed robbery.
We just need to make them promise not to buy a gun when we let them out of jail.

The sale of alcohol and tobacco is more restrictive than that of guns and requires more responsibility for all parties through all points of sale.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
We just need to make them promise not to buy a gun when we let them out of jail.

The sale of alcohol and tobacco is more restrictive than that of guns and requires more responsibility for all parties through all points of sale.
I agree.

I think we should have a private seller firearm transfer background check. Gun shops don't mind, because they make a small fee for just filling out paperwork.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
How many people have been stabbed to death with a pencil, key, screwdriver, etc.? :
And died? Not many. Just because you can strangle me with a shoelace doesn't mean a shoelace can't be used for something it was intended to do.

Guns have one intended purpose.

My opinion on gun control is: (1) All firearms should be registered to the owner (2) All first time owners must take a mandatory safety class (military/LEO exempt) (3) Classify "assault weapons" for what they are, not because they "look" mean (my synthetic stock SKS is NOT an AK, idiot BLM) (4) Anyone who wishes to own a "special purpose" weapon (i.e. 50bmg, 20mm bolt action etc.) will have to purchase a special stamp and tax receipt, similar to now, but allowing anyone who is clean and properly trained/certified to own it instead of red tape crap.
Translation: employ lots of red tape instead of red tape :rofl:

Idk, there is a gun problem in this country but not with the guns themselves, but rather the people that get them and the how/where they got them.
And you honestly don't see the logical conclusion that the more accepted and available guns are to ANYONE, the easier they become for ANYONE to get? Legally or not.

You have to start somewhere. No one says the problem can be fixed overnight or in its entirety. Once you step outside the states, it's pretty obvious that the general culture regarding guns in this place is half the problem. Thank you NRA. The minute those retards stop with this approach of 'all guns all the time, everywhere' we can have a real discussion. Not until that crap stops however.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
And you honestly don't see the logical conclusion that the more accepted and available guns are to ANYONE, the easier they become for ANYONE to get? Legally or not.

You have to start somewhere. No one says the problem can be fixed overnight or in its entirety. Once you step outside the states, it's pretty obvious that the general culture regarding guns in this place is half the problem. Thank you NRA. The minute those retards stop with this approach of 'all guns all the time, everywhere' we can have a real discussion. Not until that crap stops however.
Definitely the NRA is not helping the problem.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
so if you point it at your head and pull the trigger....tickles?
Kind of like what happens if I point my truck at some ones head and step on the gas.

They both can kill people, but the truck was designed to get me places and the rifle was designed poke holes in paper. Either can be an assault weapon as well, it just depends on how each is used

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Kind of like what happens if I point my truck at some ones head and step on the gas.

They both can kill people, but the truck was designed to get me places and the rifle was designed poke holes in paper. Either can be an assault weapon as well, it just depends on how each is used
I really hope it's not as easy to get a driving license as it is to get a gun in the us. That would explain a lot of what I've seen in Orlando.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
it's easier to get a DL....case in point Mooshoo

:rofl:
ummmmm, eric, you have no idea what you are talking about. Have you ever bought a gun??? Here in CA it's the biggest pain, and it takes about 10 minutes of paperwork and a 10 day wait for a long gun, and about 10 minutes of paperwork after completing a BS 10 minute 1 time safety test to buy a handgun and then a 10 day wait. In most states it's a 3 day wait on handguns, instant background check on long guns.

Edit: I'm 22, of course I'm a lousy driver, but I am fully aware of it. I don't ever go faster than like 70 on the freeway, and I keep the fact that I haven't been driving that long in the back of my head at all times.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
ummmmm, eric, you have no idea what you are talking about. Have you ever bought a gun??? Here in CA it's the biggest pain, and it takes about 10 minutes of paperwork and a 10 day wait for a long gun, and about 10 minutes of paperwork after completing a BS 10 minute 1 time safety test to buy a handgun and then a 10 day wait. In most states it's a 3 day wait on handguns, instant background check on long guns.
That's the biggest pain to get a gun? Really damn hard. 10 minutes + 10 days of wait? it takes longer to get an ID here.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
That's the biggest pain to get a gun? Really damn hard. 10 minutes + 10 days of wait? it takes longer to get an ID here.
Yup, California has the strictest gun laws bay a good margin. Yea, I've been waiting almost a month on a replacement license (my wallet got jacked) it's pretty darn easy to buy a gun here

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yup, California has the strictest gun laws bay a good margin. Yea, I've been waiting almost a month on a replacement license (my wallet got jacked) it's pretty darn easy to buy a gun here

Wrong as usual. Some other states requires permits to purchase. Of course state gun laws mean little when someone can drive to the next state and buy whatever the hell they want.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I really hope it's not as easy to get a driving license as it is to get a gun in the us. That would explain a lot of what I've seen in Orlando.
it is much easier getting a gun here in PA then it is to get a driving license (if youre transferring a license from another state it takes about the same amount of time.)
here in PA, it takes 2-3 minutes to fill out paperwork and about 15 minutes (depending how busy the state is) to do a background check.

Yup, California has the strictest gun laws bay a good margin.
NJ takes much longer to get a gun and license

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Wrong as usual. Some other states requires permits to purchase. Of course state gun laws mean little when someone can drive to the next state and buy whatever the hell they want.
Really???? The Brady anti gun campaign says we have the "sensible" anti gun laws .
Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

The supreme court has also said that the government is not aloud to know who has bought what guns. They are only aloud to keep those records for 30 days (the state of california has broken this rule and been taken to court) the idea behind that is the idea that part of the reason we have the 2nd amendment is to defend ourselves from a tyrannical government. If they know who has what they can come in and take them (that was one of the first things Hitler, Stalin, and, Mou did) I'm not going to dig through and find the exact court decision as I don't have the time nor the care too right now.

So once again, I was raised in CA as a target shooter. I think I have a damn good idea of the gun laws in this state.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
i

NJ takes much longer to get a gun and license
No waiting period on long guns from my understanding, and I think the handgun permit is more of a pre background check system they have going. NJ is a close second, but overall your generic NY times "gun law rating" articles they always (or at least I have always seen) NJ a close second to CA

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
the idea behind that is the idea that part of the reason we have the 2nd amendment is to defend ourselves from a tyrannical government.
That made sense 200 years ago. I doubt an ak47 or even a 50 cal sniper rifle will protect you from an air to ground missle fired from a drone or a tank.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That made sense 200 years ago. I doubt an ak47 or even a 50 cal sniper rifle will protect you from an air to ground missle fired from a drone or a tank.

Exactly why the second amendment should give us the right to bear IED's.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Really??? I have a few bolt guns that weigh, 10-12 pounds, have iron sights, and are .22s they are meant for targets.
Yeah, and my NERF Big Bad Bow is prove that bows and arrows also weren't created for the specific purpose of killing.

Likewise, MC Hammer is proof that hammers were not created for the specific purpose of pounding nails, but rather for many purposes including not being touched and use of legitimacy for prevention of quitting.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
part of the reason we have the 2nd amendment is to defend ourselves from a tyrannical government.
That would work better if guns were for killing people, rather than target practice. Or do you plan to defend your home by besting the invading force in a humiliating display of unbeatable paper marksmanship?

Also, I just used a screwdriver to open a pickle jar. What ridiculous false ****ing advertising to call this thing a driver of screws when it clearly does nothing of the sort.

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
No waiting period on long guns from my understanding, and I think the handgun permit is more of a pre background check system they have going. NJ is a close second, but overall your generic NY times "gun law rating" articles they always (or at least I have always seen) NJ a close second to CA
i live in NJ. my dad was a gun dealer and is no more because of the red tape. trust me, our laws make most state's gun laws look like people live in gun-anarchy-heaven elsewhere.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

Edit: I'm 22, of course I'm a lousy driver, but I am fully aware of it. I don't ever go faster than like 70 on the freeway, and I keep the fact that I haven't been driving that long in the back of my head at all times.
you obviously failed reading comprehension. I stated its easier to get a DL DL= Drivers Lic

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Really???? The Brady anti gun campaign says we have the "sensible" anti gun laws .
Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

The supreme court has also said that the government is not aloud to know who has bought what guns. They are only aloud to keep those records for 30 days (the state of california has broken this rule and been taken to court) the idea behind that is the idea that part of the reason we have the 2nd amendment is to defend ourselves from a tyrannical government. If they know who has what they can come in and take them (that was one of the first things Hitler, Stalin, and, Mou did) I'm not going to dig through and find the exact court decision as I don't have the time nor the care too right now.

So once again, I was raised in CA as a target shooter. I think I have a damn good idea of the gun laws in this state.
Does this mean the government can whisper about who owns guns?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What you're missing is the correlation in the article to the town's low murder rate coupled with the low gun ownership.
This reminds me of my boss who lives in a Georgia county near Atlanta which is required by law that every household owns a gun (true btw).

He reminds me that there hasn't been a murder in his county since this law was enacted, in the 80's.

Because he is my boss, I do not mention how his county is 99% white, median salary over $70k, and that poor people live in nearby Fulton county.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I visited Nevada over Thanksgiving, and I considered buying an AK-47.

As a California resident, I was not able to, and I believe that is the right thing.

You do not want gun control to occur at the purchasing point.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I visited Nevada over Thanksgiving, and I considered buying an AK-47.

As a California resident, I was not able to, and I believe that is the right thing.

You do not want gun control to occur at the purchasing point.
Probably especially difficult right now with that little shoot'em up in carson city a few months ago. Especially since that was an AK replica.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
That would work better if guns were for killing people, rather than target practice. Or do you plan to defend your home by besting the invading force in a humiliating display of unbeatable paper marksmanship?

Also, I just used a screwdriver to open a pickle jar. What ridiculous false ****ing advertising to call this thing a driver of screws when it clearly does nothing of the sort.
Plan 1) Don't live in a ****ty area (I don't keep a gun under my bed, I don't need too)

Plan 2) I used to shoot a ton of IDPA, so I'm quite comfortable with both my glock and my pops 686

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
you obviously failed reading comprehension. I stated its easier to get a DL DL= Drivers Lic
Lolz, YOU failed sir. As some one who had both, got my license, and purchased a gun in the last 5 years, I can tell you for a FACT, that it is far easier to get a gun than a license here in CA

i live in NJ. my dad was a gun dealer and is no more because of the red tape. trust me, our laws make most state's gun laws look like people live in gun-anarchy-heaven elsewhere.
There's a few guys at my gun club in the same boat