Quantcast

gut reaction 5

urbanhuckbot

Monkey
May 28, 2004
ok, so i just saw chain raction 5, and from what i can tell, the mtb industry is trying to copy what the bmx scene has going on. however, they take the corporate logo theme to the X-treme.

seems like all it take to be sponsored is an attempted backflip, then, if you land it, they show it 5 more times to make it look like you did it 5 more times.

honestly though, half of those tricks should not have even been in the video.
if an out of shape 30+ bmx rider(me) can do a trick, then a "pro" should not be putting that trick in their video part.

but i guess i am just spoiled, after seeing the etnies video, and watching the likes of ian morrison(who does a 15foot rail gap to flat on a bmx bike), steven hamilton, who blows up the part, and rueben alcantara; now everything aaron chase does bores me. i guess doing a backflip 10 times in one video just show how XTREME mtbhuckers really are......i am very dissapointed.....$.02

Attachments

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
give them time, I say.

having watched the evolution of bmx freestyle over the last 22 years or so, I think mtn. bikers will take stunt riding to a whole new level. but it's not going to be the fvcktards that are jumping their full suspension bikes down 8 stairs.

if you look at motocross jumping today, they take their inspiration (or whatever) from bmx guys(funny how bmx got it's start from motocross huh?). only they go alot bigger.

I think mtn. bikes are going to be in the same boat, once they find their own little thing. what I mean is, mtn. bikes can go over rougher/different surfaces. so they are going to be able to ride stuff that bmx guys can't, simply because a 20 inch tire won't roll over some stuff.

when I look at the city obsticles that could be ridden on a bike or skateboard, I see so much potential for a mtn. bike. such as riding and jumping UP the stairs to whatever, and doing stunts going in that direction. which is different, for the most part, from what skaters/bmxers do.

I haven't seen any videos of just mtn. bikers but i've watched the trailers and some stuff on tv. I agree, lame.

but I did see a contest thing, on the internet (but it was from a tv show, forget what one) and it was VERY cool. it was a race of some sort, down a hill, but had all kinds of stuff to ride over. big drops, six pack of big jumps, wall rides, skinnys and other weird stuff. it was impressive.

I remember when bmx freestyle was just coming into it's own, 20 years ago. it too was pretty horrible. but look at it now, it's pretty sick. I say give the mtn. bikers time.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
even if you aren't a big bender fan, ridding a bike off 30' cliffs landingon a 6' wide tranny and breaking to a halt in 10' is impressive and it's something BMXers don't do. As far as the street and jump stuff goes I agree that BMX is where it's at, they can just do stuff so much cleaner and more consistantly than any other type of bike. Don't pass off MTB stuff just yet though, every year the red bull rampage gets more and more exciting, and with freeride events growing in popularity you'll start seeing some new and unique stunts being pulled on MTB's exculsively. Finally resorts are building stunts that cater to the MTB's advantage, it's not just hucks either, I'm talking about skinnies, high speed, steep rock gardens... stuff that hasn't been given enough flair to appear difficult on film but it's coming.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i think 20 inch guys rip and sure i dont think we will see some things done on mtn bikes that they do but ithink that things just look smoother and better on a mtn bike. 20 inch bikes make it look like a circuis bear on a tricycle. i also think that the guys riding street these days are way more "backflip experts"i have seen them ride in videos and in person and must say that their skills supass lame ass back flips 10 fold

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
urbanhuckbot said:
now everything aaron chase does bores me.

so the tree tap he does in the woods bores you?

and im pretty sure he does what one backflip? Just becaues the video editor puts a bunch of backflip shots in the video doesnt mean thats all the riders can do.

i agree that there is alot of lame stuff going down on mtb videos and the few cool things that are in them are copied from bmx riding, but whats wrong with that? The videos are getting better, and the whole mtb street thing is still pretty new.

You really shouldnt try to compare forward to an mtb vid.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
biggins said:
i think 20 inch guys rip and sure i dont think we will see some things done on mtn bikes that they do but ithink that things just look smoother and better on a mtn bike. 20 inch bikes make it look like a circuis bear on a tricycle. i also think that the guys riding street these days are way more "backflip experts"i have seen them ride in videos and in person and must say that their skills supass lame ass back flips 10 fold

you must not watch many bmx videos, because for the most part they are way smoother looking on the bmx bike.

urbanhuckbot

Monkey
May 28, 2004
im just saying that i am bored with the 26" scene.i used to ride a p-2, and i broke everything on it, except the frame. i have built a bmx bike and sh!t is straight. i like the way it rides sooooo much better. brakes arent as good, as i had avid discs before.
bmx bike have been evolving for 30 years and are made for the kind of riding the "urban" set is trying to ride.

anyway, i was just making a statemen about the video, it seems to be that all, and i do mean all(at least all the mtb vids i have seen) mtb vids lack the creativity found in a good street bmx video. they show the same guys doing the same tricks over and over and over and over and over and over........that is boring.

if you want to see a video that will blow your head off, go find "welcome to hell" it is a sk8boreding video that broke every mold in the mid ninety's...still a sick as vid now....out

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I do agree that Backflips on Mtb bikes are way over rated, and I think if Mtb'ers want to be taken seriously we should start pulling bmx influenced tricks in an enviroment that only MTB's can go. I'm not going to sit here and say, people should only ride a bmx bike in the park, at the jumps, or on street because thats what a bmx bike is designed for. Because I ride my mountain bike in all those places, I don't want more than one bike, I'm used to the one I have, and I like it, It's a 26'' single speed mountain bike, which happens to ride and feel much like a cruiser bmx, but besides riding street, dj's and skate park, I can take my bike on freeride trails, were bmx bikes can't go, I hit big drops into rocky transitions, I can ride down boulder littered shutes, and I can hit latter bridges. Whats wrong with having one bike for everything? Why do guys on 20" give me weird looks when I go to the park? WE ALL RIDE BIKES! WHO CARES WHAT SIZE YOUR WHEELS ARE!
Guys in BMX videos do pull some very sick tricks though, and Guys who ride MTB's should check it out before making there own videos. They may not think they're so hard core after seeing what guys on 20inchers do.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
Ifelloffabike said:
so the tree tap he does in the woods bores you?
That move was sooo ill! I loved that. I think that if "freestyle mtb" has a real future it is going to be that. Bringing big tricks and techtricks alike to environments where small wheeled cycles cannot venture. With that said I race DH and trail ride quite a bit. But when street riding comes around or skateparks for that matter my 20" bmx bike is where it is at for me.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
honestly i usualy dont get any flack for riding a 26" bike in parks... I think as long as you arnt a complete retard in the park, no one really cares. The problem is most people on mtn bikes in skateparks are like fish out of water.

konakid

Chimp
Jun 26, 2004
I thought chain reaction 5 was a real good movie. The front flips are definitly something new we are seeing. Actually part of that movie was filmed at the back to the forest competition in St. Thomas Ontario and i was there watching it was really sweet to see them do it for real. If you look in the video i am standing over top of the E-13 sign. Anyways i think we just need to give them time and it will progress into its own niche just like every other sport.