Votes: 16 37.2%
  • Single guys just want to get on girls they interact with

Votes: 13 30.2%

• Total voters

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Ok, so my girlfriend and I were having this discussion about how she has alot of guy friends. It is my opinion and the opinion of many of my friends that although a guy may just be friends with a girl, if he is single chances are that he wants to become more than friends when he sees an opportunity to. She thinks that when a guy would flirt with her not knowing her at all and only seeing how she looks and not who she is wants to be her friend, and only friend, and not ever get on her. So my question for the poll is, can single guys ever be just friends and never want anything more, or do they always want the opportunity to arise to take things to the next level. I figure that a poll and a thread will prove my point to her.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I always want something more. Call me shallow but that's pretty much the sole reason I hang out with girls. It's unusual that they're cool enough that I don't try to get wit 'em.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Changleen said:
This sounds like a cheesy movie...
Ha sort of, she just can seem to believe me that most guys who are just her friends would really like to get on her. Im just trying to end an argument. Plus I have not been on here in a while as ive been busy running a business so its a good excuse to get me back on the monkey.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Yes.

But I also fvck one of my best friends whenever I am in town too. Friends with benefits kind of thing I guess.

I've always had more friends of the opposite sex. Guys are full of sh!t, and women are more quick to call you on it.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i definitely have some female friends with whom i can "just" be friends. example from the club, there with 3 girls and 1 other guy: one of the girls incites drama (i'm going after her), another is like "blah look at my cleavage", and the third just makes me smile in a totally innocent/good natured way. i'm not sure if this makes any sense :D but my point is that it differs.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
stevew said:
Yes.

I've always had more friends of the opposite sex. Guys are full of sh!t, and women are more quick to call you on it.
I'm the same way.

However, if you're single, do you try to get on the opposite sex friends?

My opposite-sex friendships tend to swing either direction...kinda weird like that.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
blue said:
I'm the same way.

However, if you're single, do you try to get on the opposite sex friends?

My opposite-sex friendships tend to swing either direction...kinda weird like that.
No, I don't go out with friends of friends.

That doesn't work out.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Holy crap Curb Hucker is back! Have you started thr Rover mail order parts company, and if so what rear bumbers do you carry for a D1? mines looking all smiley after a few too many encounters with rocks.

It depends on who it is that I'm freinds with, some women are my freinds for completly non sexual reasons. Others, well I have my reasons.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
stevew said:
Yes.

But I also fvck one of my best friends whenever I am in town too. Friends with benefits kind of thing I guess.

:stupid:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yep, it's possible.

I've always had a close female friends that could remain "just friends".

My view: the guys who say that guys can't be "just friends" with girls are talking about themselves - these are guys who just can't do that. There are plenty of guys who can manage to keep things platonic.

dogwonder said:
If the guy is single and the opportunity arises, he will take advantage of it.
Like that. You're talking about yourself right there. It's funny when you phrase it as "the guy" and "he" as if it applies to the entire gender.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I had plenty of female friends when I was single that I had no desire to have anything more with. You've got problems if you can't have a basic friendship with a woman without wanting to bang her.

BTW, those poll options suck. :p

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
In my entire life I know of only one scenario where a man has become and remained friends with a woman that he does not think is hot, and that women is his ex-wife so it's not exactly straightforward.

So if it can happen it's very rare imo.

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
Curb Hucker said:
Ok, so my girlfriend and I were having this discussion about how she has alot of guy friends. It is my opinion and the opinion of many of my friends that although a guy may just be friends with a girl, if he is single chances are that he wants to become more than friends when he sees an opportunity to. She thinks that when a guy would flirt with her not knowing her at all and only seeing how she looks and not who she is wants to be her friend, and only friend, and not ever get on her. So my question for the poll is, can single guys ever be just friends and never want anything more, or do they always want the opportunity to arise to take things to the next level. I figure that a poll and a thread will prove my point to her.
scared that your girl is going to run off with this guy huh?:rofl:

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
dirtydirtysouf said:
scared that your girl is going to run off with this guy huh?:rofl:
Nope, im just trying to prove a point. When her guy friends who were just friends showed resentment when she started dating me 4 months ago it was a key sign that those guys did want to be more than friends, she cant see that.

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
I had some single guy friends who wanted to date me, but I also had some really great ones who were completely just friends. I personally loved the couple guys I could just hang with, drink, and play poker with no other motives.

I also had an ex who had all girl friends, and all turned out to be good friends of mine. Nothing ever went on between them... of course... his sexuality is in question... :think:

She thinks that when a guy would flirt with her not knowing her at all and only seeing how she looks and not who she is wants to be her friend, and only friend, and not ever get on her.

^ That just seems a bit naive to me... or that she is interested in the flirting and doesn't want you to think anything is wrong with it. I don't know, some girls like the attention. Moreso, if she just meets a guy, he isn't her "friend." If there is an established relationship, of course you can be just friends.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
anything is possible.

BUT, from my experience most times (regardless of if the girl has a boyfriend/husband) its the girl that wants more than being "just friends"

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
douglas said:
anything is possible.

BUT, from my experience most times (regardless of if the girl has a boyfriend/husband) its the girl that wants more than being "just friends"
Perhaps you need to get your mojo under control?

I do think friends wtih no motives is a possibility, but I don't think it happens all that often. There is usually one person who, even if it's only in the back of their mind, is thinking about more. Clearly, it's more common as people get older.

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
Curb Hucker said:
Nope, im just trying to prove a point. When her guy friends who were just friends showed resentment when she started dating me 4 months ago it was a key sign that those guys did want to be more than friends, she cant see that.
i have some long time female friends that i have never thought about "getting" with..........i guess im weird

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
SkaredShtles said:
It depends on if the woman is hot. It depends on if she's intelligent, too.

If she's hot and intelligent then all bets are off.

:D
wait... you mean they can be both, at the same time???

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I find it disturbing that you two are studying my groin. Perhaps we have a couple of closet cases on our hands? :clue:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
binary visions said:
I find it disturbing that you two are studying my groin. Perhaps we have a couple of closet cases on our hands? :clue:
Dont post pics of your sack and ya wont hafta worry bout it.:clue: