Quantcast

Gwin bought Windrock

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yes Avy. You're wrong.
In (probably) a similar vein to Gwinn at Windrock. Forestry England own the land/Forest (Hamsterley) on which "Danny Hart's" Descend bike park is run.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Yes Avy. You're wrong.
In (probably) a similar vein to Gwinn at Windrock. Forestry England own the land/Forest (Hamsterley) on which "Danny Hart's" Descend bike park is run.
Thank You Brother. I am sad to understand that both Lads do not not “own” their Land. I am sure there is money that they will hopefully make for years to come,not to mention the Impact on our beloved sport to the upcoming youth it will have. How does one even measure that? Only time will tell us.

Do you have any news/rumors or facts on how Danny’s park is doing Gary? Hopefully as is well.

Last,I think Atherton’s Company is also a wonderful story. These guys and Gal,have a Bike Company! Fucking Crazy Risk as we all know. A winning Bike at that. The risk? The Monies? I love the Bike,the Company,and their Riders. Lest,that’s right,Lest Avy forget to send’s pure Love to the Whole support crew that work for the Atherton’s,it seems tobe a well oiled machine. May the wind be behind them.

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
That is one of the coolest stupid memes Avy has ever seen. I Love it,I can not deny the truth woo? Very rare will you see Avy make this comment. I was wondering Brother,do you think that was Paris Hilton’s? I mean?

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I don't know but I just googled 'paris hilton hamster' to see what you might be referencing

I would recommend doing that to anyone reading this
I’m going back to YT Christopher Hitchens video,but I had to give a shout out. That sounds naughty. I’m good.

Avy

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
The insurance check from my Lahaina house arrives next week. The county still doesn't know when rebuilding can start. I could start building a bike park as soon as the snow melts... I liked living across the street from a world class reef pass but my love of trail building makes me think I need to buy a hill and chairlift before I'm too old to dig...
I support this 100%. Too old to dig comes earlier the more you dig...

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I can confirm too. My body has never been as wrecked in my life as the 2 years that I've built trails for a living. Just like planting trees, some people are just made for it and other are not. I had a great time and learned a lot though, and it was really nice to take a hiatus from desk work.

All the best to Gwin and his new project, that's a lot of work and hopefully he'll get something out of it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Theres a new podcast out from Pinkbike with Gwin on it, its interesting.

He goes into a little detail of that letter of intent fiasco from years back.

He also mentions, but doesn't go into great detail, that they'll be expanding Windrock by 500 acres and moving the shuttle drop off up the hill, so longer trails.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore

He also mentions, but doesn't go into great detail, that they'll be expanding Windrock by 500 acres and moving the shuttle drop off up the hill, so longer trails.
Good podcast, that Henry Quinny twat gave a warning about spirituality talk, still trying to figure out wtf he was on about. Unless it was some sort of British dry humor thing I missed, lol.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Good podcast, that Henry Quinny twat gave a warning about spirituality talk, still trying to figure out wtf he was on about. Unless it was some sort of British dry humor thing I missed, lol.
Must have been an edit or something cos there wasn't any that I heard.

Man, Gwin has grown on me heaps the past few years. Listening to the Downtime podcast with him and he's mega switched o and interesting to listen to. Hopefully he gets more commentary gigs as well - he saved the race commentary for me this year.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

yeah, there's a bunch more terrain above the current shuttle drop, including the old "windmill" trail, which is super fun even though they rerouted the small super steep bit. curious to see what they do up there...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I really enjoyed the PB podcast, nothing earth shattering but I like Gwin's business like approach to his career these days. In related news a little bird told me there is some big Gwin news coming in the next month or so.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
If you can ride DH year round, heck ya!

Here in CO, it is kinda possible. But snow. Then ice. Then brown ice. Then washing out on a corner that looked like it was dirt, but was actually brown ice. Wheeee! :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
One thing Gwin mentioned that I hadn't really thought about is that most people who own a DH bike also own other mountain bikes. Which is why manufacturers still see DH as a worthy investment. I'd also wager that those DH riders probably are seen in their local mtb groups as having a superior skill set, and therefore influence the purchases of newer riders... maybe... this is all IMHO of course, but I'm sure there's some sort of data to back that up (or refute it) somewhere out there.

He also seemed really keen at the thought of hosting a World Cup DH race there too... like really excited at the prospect. That would be cool.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
He also seemed really keen at the thought of hosting a World Cup DH race there too... like really excited at the prospect. That would be cool.
Fly to atlanta, then drive 3-4hrs seems the ticket. A bit far flung imo, but would be cool if they could make the numbers work. It’s clearly aligned with his interests.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Is there enough lodging nearby? I’ve never been so I’m genuinely curious. I always assumed it was in the middle of nowhere.
Thats actually a good question. While Windrock is very close to Oak Ridge where there are a few hotels, it's not terribly far from Knoxville which has plenty of hotel capacity. To be clear, its not like the typical resort which usually has a lot of rental capacity and/or large hotels nearby. I seem to recall that Ft. Willy may be kinda similar in that sense, and maybe @Gary can confirm. And hell, the way things are going, there may be only like 20 racers left in the WC by then.

If @profro is still lurking, he can add more insight.