Quantcast

Gwiny

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
But in contrast to previous brands, Jeff can build him everything he desires within a week. So that rather points to the fact that he does not know what works for him.
With YT he got the first win at the first race on a stock frame, later when he started experimenting he struggeled (e.g. proto 29er).
I think you’re right, he gets whatever he wants, but doesn’t necessarily know what to ask for. You’d think Steeber would step in and tell him what he needs, but maybe that’s not how shit works at IFR.

Doesn’t explain the Gwinduro, but maybe that was the brainchild of someone else at Spesh? That thing pretty much saved his career IMHO.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Also, on related news, Minnaar's recovery from the 'rona seems to be taking more time than he anticipated. Let's hope he didn't catch that nasty "long COVID" variant, and has enough time to prepare before the season starts.
I know this is a Gwin thread, but just wanted to shoot my hope gun in Minnaar's direction, because when he's healthy, he's still a legit AF contender to win almost anywhere. I think he finished 2nd twice last year, and getting nano-pipped by Frenchies on suicide runs in those 2 cases. Point being, he could very easily put more space between him and Gwin if the Rona doesn't melt his lungs or give him other long lasting health issues. At least from his perspective, it may be a good thing Ft. Bill is cancelled so he has more time to get right.

As for Gwin, I think when he's healthy he is still very much a podium threat, but I think there may be too many guys as fast or faster than him (Loic, Reece, Walker, Minnaar, Amaury, Hart, other French guys I can't recall) for him to win again unless its some weird set of circumstances.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I know this is a Gwin thread, but just wanted to shoot my hope gun in Minnaar's direction, because when he's healthy, he's still a legit AF contender to win almost anywhere. I think he finished 2nd twice last year, and getting nano-pipped by Frenchies on suicide runs in those 2 cases.
He got a win last year, further increasing his lead didn't he?

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I know this is a Gwin thread, but just wanted to shoot my hope gun in Minnaar's direction, because when he's healthy, he's still a legit AF contender to win almost anywhere. I think he finished 2nd twice last year, and getting nano-pipped by Frenchies on suicide runs in those 2 cases. Point being, he could very easily put more space between him and Gwin if the Rona doesn't melt his lungs or give him other long lasting health issues. At least from his perspective, it may be a good thing Ft. Bill is cancelled so he has more time to get right.

As for Gwin, I think when he's healthy he is still very much a podium threat, but I think there may be too many guys as fast or faster than him (Loic, Reece, Walker, Minnaar, Amaury, Hart, other French guys I can't recall) for him to win again unless its some weird set of circumstances.
No, it is not a Gwin thread,it’s a WoCup thread,I just Love Gwin. I Love WCDH. This is exactly what I Hoped for,lots of thoughts on the upcoming season. After reading everything,I have some thoughts.

1st: Why is it that some of you feel(due to last victory)that he can not stick around like Greg,and school the young?

2Nd: I agree with Mngt,don’t know how much rope he is pulling,just hope its not too much. Now that he has a wife,she should take a lesson from Mr.Hart’s Women(wife? Forgive me Darling.) She is Ride or Die. She takes care of everything for Danny,just what he needs. As she said ”I don’t want Danny worrying about anything but his race” She went on to say that there is a lot of matters to tend to,and Danny does best this way. Word!

3rd: The bike: Who in the hell picked the paint scheme? That is the ugliest Intense Paint Job I have ever seen.

Avy

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
No, it is not a Gwin thread,it’s a WoCup thread,I just Love Gwin. I Love WCDH. This is exactly what I Hoped for,lots of thoughts on the upcoming season. After reading everything,I have some thoughts.

1st: Why is it that some of you feel(due to last victory)that he can not stick around like Greg,and school the young?

2Nd: I agree with Mngt,don’t know how much rope he is pulling,just hope its not too much. Now that he has a wife,she should take a lesson from Mr.Hart’s Women(wife? Forgive me Darling.) She is Ride or Die. She takes care of everything for Danny,just what he needs. As she said ”I don’t want Danny worrying about anything but his race” She went on to say that there is a lot of matters to tend to,and Danny does best this way. Word!

3rd: The bike: Who in the hell picked the paint scheme? That is the ugliest Intense Paint Job I have ever seen.

Avy
Regarding your 1st question, I would suggest that GM (and Peat to a lesser extent) is by far and away the exception to the rule in terms of being at the pointy end of the spear for basically 2 decades. For the reasons many have already described above, I think it's super hard to keep the mental edge needed to be a top step contender - especially nowadays with the incredible level and depth of elite talent. Greg is an outlier in this regard IMO, and I'm not convinced Gwin has the passion/desire to race at that level anymore. We'll see tho, albeit not nearly as soon as I'd prefer.

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
for your crimes, i sentence you to wear the skinsuit for all pedal bike activities for the remainder of the year.

Do I have choice of a Beek(Rob Waner”Visor”)with that skinsuit?
I think you’re right, he gets whatever he wants, but doesn’t necessarily know what to ask for. You’d think Steeber would step in and tell him what he needs, but maybe that’s not how shit works at IFR.

Doesn’t explain the Gwinduro, but maybe that was the brainchild of someone else at Spesh? That thing pretty much saved his career IMHO.

Is there a picture of the Gwinduro? I somehow missed that. Thought he was on that one sided DH model. When I think of Enduro on a WC all I can see is that beautiful Blue and White one from RedBull years back ridden by the Claw.

I have been re watching time and time again Gwin 2012 Worlds on that Trek where he lost his Brake video on you tube. Guys,right before the doubles as he is coming into frame he cases the shit on what I can’t tell? You can hear it ,like he broke the dam frame. Never heard him case like that? Setup? Just cased it? And I never herd the details of what happened to the brake? Did that jack up his brakes? Not possible I say to myself?

Avy

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Is there a picture of the Gwinduro? I somehow missed that. Thought he was on that one sided DH model. When I think of Enduro on a WC all I can see is that beautiful Blue and White one from RedBull years back ridden by the Claw.

I had one of those. Fun bike.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

I had one of those. Fun bike.

I guess Spec wouldn’t let him use any other tire? Hence no Kenda. Avid brakes and Sram? Wow,I know a lot of you Love SRAM. When I worked for them 05/07. The 06 lineup we were wrenchen at Morgan Hill,they had such a hard on for SRAM. To the point of mental illness. We did not agree. They also hated Lance,no love.

Avy