Quantcast

Gym stationary bikes effective replacement??

Airborne

Chimp
Nov 21, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
I am an avid, but relatively new mt biker, having started racing and training last year seriously. I am in the process of buying a road bike to train also, and perhaps an indoor trainer too to power up my legs. I only have a mt bike now, and with the short days and weather, its hard to get the miles in.

I have been riding the LifeCycle stationary bikes at my gym a few times a week, using a heart monitor, and noting the power output on it's computer screen. I monitor and change RPMs, my heart rate, and Power, and the numbers seem to be getting more effecient.

Question is: Is this type of riding a decent substitute until I can get out on the road or get the appropriate equipment for home? How does this equate to road riding (I am not a roadie yet, but aspire to add that to my cycling repotoire (sp))? How does this equate to sitting on your road bike and using an indoor trainer?

Am I wasting my time? I DO feel that some spinning of my legs is better than none.

Thanks for any assistance!!

Oct 2, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Riding the Lifecycles is better then not riding at all. It will still work your cardio and aerobic capacity, however it is very different then road riding or riding a bike on a trainer. Your body positioning is completely different, which works the muscles differently then it would on a road or mountain bike.

You would be better off buying a trainer and riding your mountain bike on the trainer, or better yet try and find some Spin classes in your area. A good Spin class will work you big time.

I have been racing mountain bikes for three years now and I do most of my training on my road bike or my Spin bike. If you are serious about training, a road bike is definitely something to look into.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I think you'll get your best workout on the road with a road bike... no substitute for the real thing but... an excercise bike is better than nothing. If you are working to increase cardio capacity running a few times a work won't hurt you either.

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
My advise is to get a good trainer. I went through the same thing you are about a year ago. Luckly a good friend of mine is a PT and let me test all sorts of stuff and a trainer. I decided on the trainer for a few reasons. First they are cheaper than a stationary bike, smaller too. Easy to get out of the way when the weather is good. You can put any bike on the trainer for the most part. So if all you have is a Mtn bike now, put a slick on the back and ride away. When you get a road bike that will work too. If anyone else in your family rides they too can use it. there is no substitute for using your own bike. That was a major factor for me. None of the Stationary bikes I tried could be set up to feel like my own bike. (buy a cheap back tire because the trainer will eat up your tire) Get a good fluid trainer because the fan types are loud. Yes you can get similar intensity workouts on the trainer. Use your heart rate monitor and set your alarm zones. Training indoors is boring. Your mind will wander and when it does your pace will drop off. If you have the monitor in place it will prevent that. About this time of year most mail order companies are aggressively tryong to unload trainers. I bought one for about 75 bucks less than the early season price this time last year. Look around. That ought to be about enough to get you started.

Airborne

Chimp
Nov 21, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by Boomer-61
My advise is to get a good trainer. I went through the same thing you are about a year ago. Luckly a good friend of mine is a PT and let me test all sorts of stuff and a trainer. I decided on the trainer for a few reasons. First they are cheaper than a stationary bike, smaller too. Easy to get out of the way when the weather is good. You can put any bike on the trainer for the most part. So if all you have is a Mtn bike now, put a slick on the back and ride away. When you get a road bike that will work too. If anyone else in your family rides they too can use it. there is no substitute for using your own bike. That was a major factor for me. None of the Stationary bikes I tried could be set up to feel like my own bike. (buy a cheap back tire because the trainer will eat up your tire) Get a good fluid trainer because the fan types are loud. Yes you can get similar intensity workouts on the trainer. Use your heart rate monitor and set your alarm zones. Training indoors is boring. Your mind will wander and when it does your pace will drop off. If you have the monitor in place it will prevent that. About this time of year most mail order companies are aggressively tryong to unload trainers. I bought one for about 75 bucks less than the early season price this time last year. Look around. That ought to be about enough to get you started.
yeah i hear you on the trainer... i am surely getting a road bike and trainer, but need to save. in the meantime, i was just seeing what value what i am doing is worth. i really cant see using my mountain bike (though i would love too... ) as i am in a tight apt blding in the city and it sucks getting it up 3 flights. that and its ALWAYS dirty or wet from cleaning, and i refuse to have sh*t all over the place... SO, until that day... thanks for the input!!!

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Airborne, I use the same stationary bike at my gym. I like how you can monitor a lot of stuff, set target cadences, program resistances, etc., But the setup does suck. The seat is too wide so I end up sitting so the bottom bracket's in the wrong place, seat height's never right, handlebars -- forget it. My legs and cardio get a decent workout, but I'd much rather be on rollers with my own bike.