Quantcast

h/bar tape instead of grips ?

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
anyone using road bike handlebar tape instead of regular grips on their xc bikes, like some of the pro's do. Just curious, I know it would be lighter (couple of grams), any more comfy, any cons ? does it come undone etc.

thanks

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I think it would last about 1 ride/race. But it would probably work fine, and save a few grams if you're into that sort of thing :)

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Echo
I think it would last about 1 ride/race. But it would probably work fine, and save a few grams if you're into that sort of thing :)
it lasts a lot longer then that lol. the cork tape is nice but most ppl run it w/ trigger shifters. it's reaelly comfy, i'd use it if i used triggers.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Don’t think the durability is there – thinking falling and hand movement and torquing during climbs. Plus your tape start/stop points are right were your hands are as opposed to the road bike were the terminations are where there isn’t much hand movement.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I dunno....I think grip would be compromised. And it could rip, which would suck. Roland Green does it. At Mt Snow he was wearing no gloves- just wristbands and cork tape

PaulE

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
Sheffield, England
I did it a few years ago on a silly light bike. while it does save weight, it also compromises comfort.... If I were you, I'd go for some of the really light grips like titec foam ones rather than roadie tape. They're just as light, and less hassle...

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I think Roland uses partly because he likes to race without gloves and you still have grip with the tape when your hands get wet.

luke3.14

Chimp
Aug 11, 2002
Ma
i would go with regular grips but depends on what kind of riding you are doing and what type of bike you have.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Originally posted by luke3.14
i would go with regular grips but depends on what kind of riding you are doing and what type of bike you have.
Yeah, if it's a mountain bike and you ride it....use regular grips.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
yeah i dunno why roland green of all people is using corks. he has busted up his wrist before and the one thing that you lose in a wrist injury is your small grip. Plus vibrations are way worse from a bike. Even a 2 years later I can no longer ride rigid bikes...(off of a wrist injury)

Anyway it is most common that after a wrist injury the power in your small grip (of your hand) begins to deteriorate. He is probably using it to keep his had strong.

I just went with halfpipes and a bigger grip (i am using my large grip of my hand and this doesn't redevelop the same muscles that a cork grip would use.)

Now I have a bigger fork too...thumbshifters went...my thumb lost some power...even the half pipes are not going to last very long...because of my range of motion I cannot shift 9 gears in one twist anymore (mby 4 or5 )unless my thumb leaves the bar and I roll the halfpipe up past my wrist to my arm. It looks silly and comprimises the rider like .01% but it works for now. (I use handweights instead)

I get a split-second delay in there too...upshifting when i use the wrist to twist.

I suspect that I will inevitably move to the new XT as a result.
The new motion does bring back my reaction time to normal.

Roland Greene looks like he healed well even though he kept riding through his last wrist injury...(he got one, about the same time i got mine a couple of years ago, right hand) he is still with the xtr thumbs and is getting away with like murder for someone with a prior wrist injury like nothing happened.