Quantcast

HAB goes funemployed

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
@HAB where ya'at now, dude? What else didja ride in DGO? Did you make it to Mojab yet? Need "ride advice" for there?
Moab! I got a couple rides in here, but have at this point pretty fully destroyed my rear rim, so I'm going to call it a trip. I'm tired as hell and need to be back in Seattle by Tuesday at the latest anyway. An extra day or two at home to relax will be nice.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Moab! I got a couple rides in here, but have at this point pretty fully destroyed my rear rim, so I'm going to call it a trip. I'm tired as hell and need to be back in Seattle by Tuesday at the latest anyway. An extra day or two at home to relax will be nice.
Dude WTH?! You've got 26ers on that bike... that shit's basically free these days. Moar riding! Kidding man, solid trip. You're doing (did) it right.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Dude WTH?! You've got 26ers on that bike... that shit's basically free these days. Moar riding! Kidding man, solid trip. You're doing (did) it right.
If you can find one! I'll swing by Enve tomorrow since they're directly en route at see if they can do anything for me, but the wheel is out of warranty by now and they haven't made anything 26 in a while so I'm not holding my breath.

I've ridden 18 of the last 21 days anyway, I'm pretty gassed.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Bump. Some things happened with my schedule, and suddenly I'm going to be somewhere in the Salida / Buena Vista area the next couple days, and looking to ride. Very last minute, but any of you CO monkeys happen to be in that neck of the woods?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Possibru.

Given the last couple days weather, conditions might be iffy for a day or three yet. Hero dirt afterwards though.

Edit: Possibru not. Just remembered I have CT and blood work thurs/fri. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Possibru.

Given the last couple days weather, conditions might be iffy for a day or three yet. Hero dirt afterwards though.
Hmm.

Tomorrow and Thursday would be my days to ride. Maybe also Friday morning, but it wouldn't be an all day affair.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Hmm.

Tomorrow and Thursday would be my days to ride. Maybe also Friday morning, but it wouldn't be an all day affair.
It's been dumping rain over most of the state all weekend, Thursday should be primo.

edit: tomorrow could be good depending on the trail and how well it drains etc.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
What the hell? @HAB how are you just randomly in Salida?

High country is still a month out, I'm sure. There might be some mid-country open, but I haven't really been keeping up with conditions down there too much. Regardless may I direct your attention to the following...
  • Vitamin B — This is the trail @Nick referenced. Super fun, lots of steep rock tech moves. Accessed by either climbing or shuttling up 6-1/2 miles of really decent dirt road. My new favorite in the area. I can't imagine it wouldn't be good to go, given how much rock is on this trail. 10/10 go ride this fucking trail.
  • Beasway > Rhumba > Cottonwood — This is kind of the classic Salida in-town long shuttle ride. It's not terribly rowdy or technical, but it's a super fun ride. Can be shuttled or looped using CR175. If you're pedaling it and want a bigger day, pedal Frontside > CR173 > North Backbone and then bang a right on CR175 for 5-6 miles to the start of Beasway. At the end you have options, lots of people (Like MTB Project) would tell you to take Sweet Dreams to Chicken Dinner, I'd say either Mesa or Lower Sand Dunes are mo'bettah.
  • Gutz — This trail is badass. It's an old school pirate DH trail that's been legalized and wasn't fucked with too much... it's still plenty steep and super fun. Some of the jumps still remain, but overall the trail is mostly better than what it was as a pirate trail because it's not littered with golf ball sized gravel. The only problem is that it's short, and kind of a pain to get to. You can pedal/push up FR108 to the Rainbow Trail to get to Gutz, or you can be an idiot like me and ride a big loop of CR49 > Rainbow > Gutz. Rainbow is actually fairly entertaining, but it's just a nice singletrack ride. Up and down, in and out of draws, repeat. It's interesting as there was a massive burn there a few years back, and the difference before and after (having ridden it a couple-three times over the years) is striking. Not that you've been there before the burn, I guess. Anyways, the Methodist Mountain system below Gutz is largely uneventful and not really worth your time, Sol Train East to Racetrack is what I have ridden to finish a Gutz lap. Those two are fun and fast with rollers and jumps, everything else is pretty meh IMNSHO IIRC.
  • S-Mountain Trails — one can just dick around for an entire day riding various loops on loops on loops here. Easy to explore stuff here, trails to not miss that I personally know and have ridden are The Dude Abides, Unkle Nazty, and Upper/Lower Sand Dunes. I think Hooligan and El Duderino are probably worth getting tires on as well.
And of course I get it that all that nonsense makes no sense unless you see a map, and Trailforks in the Salida area is pretty good. You can also use MTB Project in the area as well. Lots of riding in the area can involve dirt county road, especially early season like now... maybe see if you can get a shuttle through Absolute or one of the other local shops? I pinged a buddy in Salida for a weather and trail conditions report, I'll post again if / when I hear back.

Elevation Brewing in Poncha Springs has tasty beer, as does Eddyline in Buena Vista. Soulcraft in Salida is less good, but still pretty dang good with a great (but odd in a way) atmosphere. House Rock Kitchen in BV for good lunch food. Lots of good food options in Salida for dinner and/or lunch. A friend who's a killer rider owns a couple joints: Sweetie's Sandwich Shop, Mo Burrito, and The Biker and The Baker. I'd of course encourage you to check any of those out, but there's several other good spots.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
What the hell? @HAB how are you just randomly in Salida?

High country is still a month out, I'm sure. There might be some mid-country open, but I haven't really been keeping up with conditions down there too much. Regardless may I direct your attention to the following...
  • Vitamin B — This is the trail @Nick referenced. Super fun, lots of steep rock tech moves. Accessed by either climbing or shuttling up 6-1/2 miles of really decent dirt road. My new favorite in the area. I can't imagine it wouldn't be good to go, given how much rock is on this trail. 10/10 go ride this fucking trail.
  • Beasway > Rhumba > Cottonwood — This is kind of the classic Salida in-town long shuttle ride. It's not terribly rowdy or technical, but it's a super fun ride. Can be shuttled or looped using CR175. If you're pedaling it and want a bigger day, pedal Frontside > CR173 > North Backbone and then bang a right on CR175 for 5-6 miles to the start of Beasway. At the end you have options, lots of people (Like MTB Project) would tell you to take Sweet Dreams to Chicken Dinner, I'd say either Mesa or Lower Sand Dunes are mo'bettah.
  • Gutz — This trail is badass. It's an old school pirate DH trail that's been legalized and wasn't fucked with too much... it's still plenty steep and super fun. Some of the jumps still remain, but overall the trail is mostly better than what it was as a pirate trail because it's not littered with golf ball sized gravel. The only problem is that it's short, and kind of a pain to get to. You can pedal/push up FR108 to the Rainbow Trail to get to Gutz, or you can be an idiot like me and ride a big loop of CR49 > Rainbow > Gutz. Rainbow is actually fairly entertaining, but it's just a nice singletrack ride. Up and down, in and out of draws, repeat. It's interesting as there was a massive burn there a few years back, and the difference before and after (having ridden it a couple-three times over the years) is striking. Not that you've been there before the burn, I guess. Anyways, the Methodist Mountain system below Gutz is largely uneventful and not really worth your time, Sol Train East to Racetrack is what I have ridden to finish a Gutz lap. Those two are fun and fast with rollers and jumps, everything else is pretty meh IMNSHO IIRC.
  • S-Mountain Trails — one can just dick around for an entire day riding various loops on loops on loops here. Easy to explore stuff here, trails to not miss that I personally know and have ridden are The Dude Abides, Unkle Nazty, and Upper/Lower Sand Dunes. I think Hooligan and El Duderino are probably worth getting tires on as well.
And of course I get it that all that nonsense makes no sense unless you see a map, and Trailforks in the Salida area is pretty good. You can also use MTB Project in the area as well. Lots of riding in the area can involve dirt county road, especially early season like now... maybe see if you can get a shuttle through Absolute or one of the other local shops? I pinged a buddy in Salida for a weather and trail conditions report, I'll post again if / when I hear back.

Elevation Brewing in Poncha Springs has tasty beer, as does Eddyline in Buena Vista. Soulcraft in Salida is less good, but still pretty dang good with a great (but odd in a way) atmosphere. House Rock Kitchen in BV for good lunch food. Lots of good food options in Salida for dinner and/or lunch. A friend who's a killer rider owns a couple joints: Sweetie's Sandwich Shop, Mo Burrito, and The Biker and The Baker. I'd of course encourage you to check any of those out, but there's several other good spots.
:stupid:

To this incredibly well thought out list, I can only add Amicas. The pizza is awesome, though the seating arrangements are a bit odd. The sangria is also amazing.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
:stupid:

To this incredibly well thought out list, I can only add Amicas. The pizza is awesome, though the seating arrangements are a bit odd. The sangria is also amazing.
Honestly it's kinda difficult to swing a dead cat in Salida without hitting a decent to amazing-ish restaurant... Amica's is great (though I liked it more when it was Il Vicino) as is Moonlight Pizza, really. The Fritz is fancier but tasty. Ferraro's is killer fine dining Italian. Even the Boathouse has decent pub grub, though don't tell that to @6thElement as it was apparently the "worst burger he's ever had" or something like that.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Oh and @HAB if you brought skis, you could probably bag Shavano, Antero, or one of the 13ers in the area. The rain the past couple of days might have refreshed the high country for skiing, it should mellow out safety wise over the next day or so I'd guess... probably would need to see what night time temps are getting down to and if there's an overnight freeze or not.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Oh and crap... paging @mtg to the white courtesy phone... weren't you and the family unit just down in the Salida/BV area over the weekend? Any chance you're still down there this week? Go ride Vitamin B with @HAB if you are.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Oh and @HAB if you brought skis, you could probably bag Shavano, Antero, or one of the 13ers in the area. The rain the past couple of days might have refreshed the high country for skiing, it should mellow out safety wise over the next day or so I'd guess... probably would need to see what night time temps are getting down to and if there's an overnight freeze or not.
Didn't bring skis for this one unfortunately.

Oh and crap... paging @mtg to the white courtesy phone... weren't you and the family unit just down in the Salida/BV area over the weekend? Any chance you're still down there this week? Go ride Vitamin B with @HAB if you are.
I am in favor of this happening.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Honestly it's kinda difficult to swing a dead cat in Salida without hitting a decent to amazing-ish restaurant... Amica's is great (though I liked it more when it was Il Vicino) as is Moonlight Pizza, really. The Fritz is fancier but tasty. Ferraro's is killer fine dining Italian. Even the Boathouse has decent pub grub, though don't tell that to @6thElement as it was apparently the "worst burger he's ever had" or something like that.
I think it was 2014 or 2015, for the visit I'm thinking of. Fritz was great, Boathouse burger at that time was definitely terrible - the guac was definitely not authentic.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
...what the hell did I miss???
Just me bumping the thread from when I quit two jobs ago and went full dirtbag for a couple months. :D

I am presently employed, just in a capacity where working remotely is viable and riding bikes is part of the job description.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Drove over the Crest to Salida this morning and got a quick morning lap in on Gutz. Was fun.

Going to get some work done now, and hopefully get another ride in this afternoon. Then beerz.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Barrel-Aged Oil Man appears to be on tap at Elevation... if you're interested in such nonsense.
Just sat down with a really good hazy IPA at Tres Litros (after doing Rhumba / Cottonwood / Sand Dunes), but maybe I'll end up over there later.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Just sat down with a really good hazy IPA at Tres Litros (after doing Rhumba / Cottonwood / Sand Dunes), but maybe I'll end up over there later.
Oh yeah... that's the new beer place there right? I haven't been yet. It's on the list! And a hazy IPA after a Cottonweird lap sounds mother frogging delightful AF.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Oh yeah... that's the new beer place there right? I haven't been yet. It's on the list! And a hazy IPA after a Cottonweird lap sounds mother frogging delightful AF.
Yeah, wasn't here last time I was through anyway. Highly recommended.