Quantcast

HAB goes funemployed

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Front range peeps: now thinking I'll be there Friday evening or Saturday morning, depending where I decide to camp Friday. Sounds like there's a thing in the works for Sunday?
#funemployed dude on a Mega-Roadtrip: not sure WTF the weather is trying to do over here. Reading Wunderground I would say to stay away, but reading "another report" there's some chance that Denver/Golden/Boulder is going to see more scattered t-storms with a chance of... who knows. NOAA seems optimistic that the weekend's forecast is ride-y.

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/co/golden?cm_ven=localwx_10day
https://www.facebook.com/groups/212623405490878/permalink/1752821031471100/
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.75386000000003&lon=-105.22106999999994#.WvSRTtMvzMU

For your FYIs.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Hmmm. I guess I'll keep an eye on that. If it goes all to shit I can run away.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Grandstaff had potential, but man, whoever decided that half the berms at the bottom should point you back up hill really needs a stern talking to.

Bonus points for having the climbing trail named after a family member though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Who the hell convinced you to go to the front range?

That's like commuter trails for march. Stop in Eagle, ride there and hardscrabble, and the stuff shtles mentioned around glenwood and fogettaboutit.

Although full trucker is nice. That's a better reason to go there than the trails. (sorry front rangers, not sorry :D).
What's good in Eagle?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What's good in Eagle?
Kind of a lot. See if hardscrabble is clear. It's a decent shuttle that ends there (starts out of glenwood springs kinda towards carbondale if memory serves).

But some folks have been going apeshit building between avon and there. Like full trucker said......just kind of yes to the general area. Grab a map, look at some topo lines and go nuts. Everything from old natural to new swoopy. I defer to the CO folks on time best spent.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Front range weather guess looks like it's improving, but you local folks would have a better idea what to make of it than I do. Riding Eagle and Avon today, pretty flexible after that. I do want to hit Angel Fire, but they're only open Friday to Sunday right now, so that'll be next weekend.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Front range weather guess looks like it's improving, but you local folks would have a better idea what to make of it than I do. Riding Eagle and Avon today, pretty flexible after that. I do want to hit Angel Fire, but they're only open Friday to Sunday right now, so that'll be next weekend.
If the weather is at all wet-ish, plan on riding Buff Crik. Do it from Pine Valley Ranch and hit Raspberry Ridge/Blackjack early in whatever loop you decide on...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Kind of a lot. See if hardscrabble is clear. It's a decent shuttle that ends there (starts out of glenwood springs kinda towards carbondale if memory serves).

But some folks have been going apeshit building between avon and there. Like full trucker said......just kind of yes to the general area. Grab a map, look at some topo lines and go nuts. Everything from old natural to new swoopy. I defer to the CO folks on time best spent.
To be honest, I have spent embarrassingly little time riding there despite have a pretty good friend that lives in the area. I have really only ridden Boneyard to Pool and Ice Rink / Haymaker or whatever it's called... which is a mellow-ish singletrack climb followed by a ripping swoopy new-school bermed out grin fest descent. Good times. Have heard from many folks that the riding is good all over Eagle and Avon: Mike's Night Out, Lee's Way Down, and hardscrabble are all trail names I've heard kicked around. Tons of good stuff, reportedly.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip> Have heard from many folks that the riding is good all over Eagle and Avon: Mike's Night Out, Lee's Way Down, and hardscrabble are all trail names I've heard kicked around. Tons of good stuff, reportedly.
Mike's night out is fun. Pipeline is a pretty fun, mellow shuttle. I really want to hook together a big-ish shuttle starting up by Mike's and doing some stuff down I've not done like World's Greatest or Star Wars, or, or...

Lee's is the shiz. And I think it might be the world's easiest shuttle. It's less than 5 min up/down to the drop-off. Shuttle driver gets about 4 minutes of quiet time at the bottom before crew pops out at the lower trailhead. Oh - and don't cut out the lower section called BLT. That shit's fun too.

I really want to hit Pauly's when it clears/dries.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Mike's was rad. Not much tech, but ripping fast swoopy, drifty turns.

Edit: I started in town, pedaled up to Mike's, then did Scratch over to Fast Times to Elk Drop to Star Wars, then back up the road and down Abrams Ridge. Good stuff all around.

Will check out Lee's and report back.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Front Range forecast seems to be changing every 10 minutes. It'd definitely be nice to meet some of you guys, but don't know what to make of the weather. That said, a day off the bike might not be the worst idea for me either, I'm pretty beat.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Front Range forecast seems to be changing every 10 minutes. It'd definitely be nice to meet some of you guys, but don't know what to make of the weather. That said, a day off the bike might not be the worst idea for me either, I'm pretty beat.
just in case, we have beer. :thumb:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I've got some WA goods to share too.
You're from Seattle, yeah? What you got? Some Fremont? Elysian? If for some weird reason you decided to pop through Portlandia and pick up some Hair of the Dog that would freak me out.

Oh, you might wanna stop by Bonfire in Eagle for a brew... they're doing some reasonably good things with beer. Or Crazy Mountain in Edwards.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Last weather report I read has Saturday not getting rainy until late afternoon, and Sunday being similar? Of course, it all depends on which source you read as well. I'm likely out for tomorrow, but am hopeful to join for some Mountain Lion riding and Longhorn shuttling Sunday.

We can discuss a ride plan for the next week between here and Angel Fire when you get in town. Also, Pajarito (south-er than Angel Fire) has some decent to good bike park riding...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've got some stuff from Bale Breaker, plus a couple odds and ends that were in my fridge.

I'll be in Golden in a couple hours.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Salida, Colorado is looking like perfect weather this weekend...
Thinking we send him down thattaway this week betwixt the Front Range and Angel Fire. You can do a day or two easy in Salida area, even when the high country is snowed in. Trails:
  1. Uncle Nasty
  2. Sand Dunes (upper and lower)
  3. Cottonwood (end this with Sweet Dreams to Chicken Dinner)
  4. Bear Creek to something... Rainbow? to Blood/Guts (gotta ask around town about this one...)
  5. Vitamin B
  6. Possibly the Silver Creek Section of the Rainbow trail. I only say possibly because just the singletrack bit is 9+ miles, and it's 9+ miles of climbing a jeep road to get to it. The singletrack is uppy-downy, in and out of steep drainages. It can be an ass-kicker, though I've only ridden it after having ridden 20+ miles of high country (Crest to Silver creek) before it. That said, it's in right now according to Absolute.
  7. Bunch of other garbage down there that I'll ride one of these days...
Most of the good stuff off the Crest won't be in yet, that I am aware of. But a quick stop in to Absolute Bikes in Salida will tell. Could also consider riding up some of the Crest descents as high as you can pedal, doing out-n-backs.
  1. Greens Creek
  2. South Fooses Creek
  3. Starvation Creek
  4. Silver Creek
If Canyon Creek were in, that'd be the call. But alas, that is not even close to likely to be the case. That thing tops out at 12,500' or thereabouts. Oh man, I get giddy in my pants thinking about that ride.

Fack, now I wanna go to Salida.