Quantcast

HAB's random photo thread

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Got my first DSLR a while back, and been having a bit of a play. Any and all feedback welcome.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I like #1 - very nicely done.

#2 is one of those places where the location looks great for some interesting wave/rock shots, but probably only comes alive at sunrise or sunset - I think the light is too harsh there, causing bright white highlights and dark shadows.

Go back there around 5am and take some long exposures - I think you'll get some great results.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Thanks. #2 is in Sydney though, so forgive me for not rushing out to try it again. :D

The waves crash in there pretty hard though, the water's anything but calm. I'd be concerned about a long exposure shot ending up as a blurry mess. Thoughts?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's part of the beauty of the long exposures at the evening hours.

I guess it depends on what you're trying to capture. Long exposures at the edge of the light create a super smooth look to the water. A 10-20 second exposure can be pretty cool because the water ends up having no discernible waves, just a smooth texture.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Thanks. Any recommendations for a circular polarizer, or will whatever cheap one do?

Took this yesterday.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Any cheap one will do.

I like the first shot in the first post. If forced to nitpick I'd straighten that horizon and bump up the blacks so that the shadows have just a wee bit of detail.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I would spend the money on a decent polarizer. Most people can't see a difference in quality, but I can. I personally use Hoya polarizers. Get them at B&H. Don't waste your money on a UV filter. They were good for film, but useless for digital.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I kinda like the crop, but I like the lower saturation and contrast of the original better.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
anytime i try to hike my lungs say fuck off.

probably over the bbq limit.