Quantcast

Hacktool.rootkit

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Okay, I am it my friggan wits end with this virus. I am usually good with computer relalted stuff, But this thing is pissing me off to no end.

I did the whole search on it, And found out that it's a son of a bitch program. I removed a ton of viruses that it let in (Since it installs a backdoor on your system, from what I understand.) And I thought I was good to go right? WRONG (Of course)

First off, My computer takes its sweet ass time to start up and shut down.

Second (And probably worst thing) Is it won't let me access my Computer(I.E floppy drive, C drive etc) at all. Not through Explorer, and I can't access it when trying to open stuff in certain programs (Like word and such) So, even though I have read up on how to remove it, I can't get to any of the freakin' files :mumble:

So I am running Windows 2000 Professional and I am at my wits end here. Should I just put my super important files on a disc and just format the drive and reinstall windows? *Which I realllly don't want to do*

Help-Please-Thanks

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Looks like a tough one. Symantec has removal instructions on their website. http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/hacktool.rootkit.html

You may just want to reformat and reinstall windows. What I do is have all my data stored on a server and just the OS and apps on the PC. Makes rebuilding easy. Or partition your HDD and keep OS / apps on one partition and data on the other.

Good luck. And stop going tothose dirty websites! :p

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Ciaran said:
Looks like a tough one. Symantec has removal instructions on their website. http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/hacktool.rootkit.html

You may just want to reformat and reinstall windows. What I do is have all my data stored on a server and just the OS and apps on the PC. Makes rebuilding easy. Or partition your HDD and keep OS / apps on one partition and data on the other.

Good luck. And stop going tothose dirty websites! :p

Actually, I got it from Curbhucker....

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
heh, as soon as I saw the title, I knew this was going to be a doozy.

You may just want to fdisk and format Windows, if the Symantec tool doesn't work that is.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I'm w/ Tenchiro on this one. Low level format it just to be safe. Utils to low level can usually be found at the drive manufacturer's site. Just a heads up, it'll take a bit of time to do this, especially if you have a big drive. The next time you install your windows (good time to upgrade to XP), cut up that drive so you can have an OS partition and a storage partition, unless you have 2 physical drives. For a typical 60gb HDD, do a 20/40 gb division, and a 15/25 for a 40gb HDD. If you have a bigger HDD, you can max out your "C" at about 25gb and the rest as storage. "C" min shouldn't be below 10gb.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Pau11y said:
I'm w/ Tenchiro on this one. Low level format it just to be safe. Utils to low level can usually be found at the drive manufacturer's site. Just a heads up, it'll take a bit of time to do this, especially if you have a big drive. The next time you install your windows (good time to upgrade to XP), cut up that drive so you can have an OS partition and a storage partition, unless you have 2 physical drives. For a typical 60gb HDD, do a 20/40 gb division, and a 15/25 for a 40gb HDD. If you have a bigger HDD, you can max out your "C" at about 25gb and the rest as storage. "C" min shouldn't be below 10gb.
The spider gives good advice.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
well, you guys pretty much suck at this nerd stuff. :D

I fixed it. No loss of data ('cept for the virus....hehehe)

Just more proof that I rule...

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
You could spend a week trying to remove it, or you could spend 2 hours wiping your disk and starting fresh.

*cough* get a mac *cough* :D