Quantcast

Had a close call yesterday.....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I know Kung Fu. Just give the a Hasan chop on the side of the neck, base of the skull area and its sleepy time for them....

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I humbly bow to my posting mistake. She turned right, as I corrected in my post, crossing in front of me.
Ok, got it. Yeah, I've had that happen too, it sucks. It's amazing how people will take chances with other people's lives instead of just chilling out for a few seconds. Luckily you can usually see this boneheaded maneuver about to happen and avoid getting hurt.

No small irony in the fact that she was turning into a church lot!

As for lane-sharing, I would appreciate a reference to the rules noted above, because I can only find variations of this, which ties back to "reasonable safety", a judgment call:

There is no "lane splitting" law as such. Perhaps the most relevant statute is CVC 21658, below. Be aware that phrasing like "...entirely within a single lane..." has been used to justify ticketing motorcyclists with their handlebars (or some other bike component) partly in each lane.

21658. Whenever any roadway has been divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic in one direction, the following rules apply:
(a) A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practical entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from the lane until such movement can be made with reasonable safety.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Anyways back to the topic at hand, Moto or bicycle, you can still safe yourself a **** ton of trouble by swallowing your pride and letting things go, and instead of expecting others to look out for you, keep an eye out for yourself instead.
Wise words of the road my man...and life in general too...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well I knew more monkeys were into martial arts than people expected, but let me ask this as honestly as I can....... Out of you that are training into martial arts, how many times have you used it in real life situations were the person you are against does not follow rules.......... Very different when you add the real life factor in

DORO

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Well I knew more monkeys were into martial arts than people expected, but let me ask this as honestly as I can....... Out of you that are training into martial arts, how many times have you used it in real life situations were the person you are against does not follow rules.......... Very different when you add the real life factor in
only on friends which ended in me kicking him in the jaw because they did not train to move
out of the way.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
Thankfully, my confidence in my training is the only thing I've had to use, so far... I've been fortunate to be able to calmly talk people down. And I have been trained to counter regular people not just against other forms of martial arts.

I know what you are getting at, and a lot of martial arts only train you to deal with someone else using the same "style" as you.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
only on friends which ended in me kicking him in the jaw because they did not train to move
out of the way.
So then your answer is no, you have never used it in a real life situation

Thankfully, my confidence in my training is the only thing I've had to use, so far... I've been fortunate to be able to calmly talk people down. And I have been trained to counter regular people not just against other forms of martial arts.

I know what you are getting at, and a lot of martial arts only train you to deal with someone else using the same "style" as you.
Let me start with I am not trying to knock your training. I used to have the exact confidence right there, and I am not trying to say that most will only do well agaisnt those in the same style..... Its the adrenaline that will get you... Talking out of it is always the best to begin with, but if it comes to no other choice it will be like no other feeling when you are against one who has no rules and only wants to win.

I used to think that the day I had to use my training would be the day I proved my confidence that you cannot take me, well let me tell ya I got my ass handed to me by a normal non trained person..... His only thought was kick ass or get ass kicked. No rules, he just wanted to win and I had almost 9 years of solid training at that point.

I am not saying to all this will happen, but I do believe like in your post, it is better to talk out of it than to test it.

In real life on the street/desert...... There is only one rul when fighting, and that is WIN... If you lose, you die. That is the mentality people should have when put into a situation were you will be attacking or defending..... There are no points, no rules, no ref to stop when it gets out of hand.... just one person going home, the other going to hospital

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Not a day goes by where I am not required to draw from the well of danger and violence and utilize my training as a disciple of Bruce Lee and Kung Fu somebody's sorry ass.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
After all the pink-lycra wearing, lane splitting, kung fu on a 4000lb SUV is said and done in this post, today I.........

Drove by the church previously mentioned, and noticed their phone number on their "marguee". I called, got the answering machine, and said--

Last Sunday, I had a run-in with one of yours. IF it is at all possible at your next sermon, please let the lady (saying this to the general congragation, that is) know that, though I still do not appreciate her driving, I apologize for how I handled myself in the situation.

Now, whether or not she gets it or it's said, I won't know. I just feel better for at least making an attempt.

Man, that angel watching over me sure is pushy and strong...... And a lot smarter than I am.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster

Let me start with I am not trying to knock your training. I used to have the exact confidence right there, and I am not trying to say that most will only do well agaisnt those in the same style..... Its the adrenaline that will get you... Talking out of it is always the best to begin with, but if it comes to no other choice it will be like no other feeling when you are against one who has no rules and only wants to win.

I used to think that the day I had to use my training would be the day I proved my confidence that you cannot take me, well let me tell ya I got my ass handed to me by a normal non trained person..... His only thought was kick ass or get ass kicked. No rules, he just wanted to win and I had almost 9 years of solid training at that point.

I am not saying to all this will happen, but I do believe like in your post, it is better to talk out of it than to test it.

In real life on the street/desert...... There is only one rul when fighting, and that is WIN... If you lose, you die. That is the mentality people should have when put into a situation were you will be attacking or defending..... There are no points, no rules, no ref to stop when it gets out of hand.... just one person going home, the other going to hospital
Well said, and I've been in a fair amount of up close and personal encounters, and yes, the adrenaline can almost be too much to deal with. But much like racing, you gotta keep a level head. Let the other guys adrenaline/emotions get the best of them.

DORO

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
I never put myself in a situation where I would need to use my training. Thats part of training Martial Arts. Control your emotions. And just becuase you lost the fight doesn't mean everyone else is a pussy.:kiss:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Well said, and I've been in a fair amount of up close and personal encounters, and yes, the adrenaline can almost be too much to deal with. But much like racing, you gotta keep a level head. Let the other guys adrenaline/emotions get the best of them.
I got in fights from 1st grade all the way up until the day I graduated ( a 10th grader literally jumped me last day of high school for getting his bro in trouble for drinking and totaling my truck :doh:). I distinctly remember being smart enough to never get in fights with violent, psychotic maniacs way bigger than me.

That was how I never lost a fight( a few "subjective" ties), but following that one rule made damn sure no one "made me bleed my own blood". :D