Quantcast

Had to happen eventually...

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Up at Mammoth last weekend I crashed, and this time it wasn't the bike that ended up broken; I broke my left collarbone in 2 places. :dead:

Stupid crash (aren't they all) over a couple table top style jumps. My buddy Bobby took them fast and crashed really hard. After a minute he was able to get up, claiming that the wind was just knocked out of him. So Wheelieholz and I climbed back up to where -BB- was waiting his turn.

-BB- made it fine (going much slower), and then Wheelieholz went without an issue. So I decided to go for it. I went a bit too fast over the first one, tried to brake check as I landed... slid out and went over the second one (did I mention they were really close together...). I ended up landing the front tire on the flat between the landing of the 2nd and take off of the 3rd... flipping me over the bars and into the take off of the third jump.

As soon as I hit I knew I broke something. I couldn't breath and the pain was excruciating!!! After a couple minutes I managed to crawl out and get my gear off... only then did I notice that Bobby was still on the ground. Apparently he was worse off than he had thought. :help:

The "ski" patrol was there very quickly to asses us – maybe the fact that all this happened directly under the lift helped. My collarbone was obviously broken, so he told me to hang out while he assessed Bobby. Bobby had rib/back pain – so they called for a backboard and fixed me up in a sling while they waited for it to arrive. Once it arrived Bobby was loaded into the truck and off we went. After a truly unpleasant trip down the mountain (I could feel even the slightest bump…), we were off to the hospital in –BB-‘s truck.

In the ER - as soon as I took off my shirt the nurse said ‘yup, it’s broken’. The X-ray was only to confirm the obvious… :nopity:

Bobby ended up with a broken wrist and possible hairline fractures of the collarbone and one rib. :eek:

When we got back to the mountain to pick up the rest of the group (We told them to stay and ride... so they did), upon loading the bikes into the truck Wheelieholz spotted that his frame was cracked in 2 places. :eek:

The next day the swelling had gone down and I was able to go shower… only then did I realize that the top of my head was bruised. When I got out of the shower I looked at my helmet – it’s destroyed. Thank you Giro, your helmets work very well! :thumb:

So a rather un-pleasant trip for most of the group (3 of 5 out of commission). Now I am off the bike for the at least the next 3 months, and even then it will probably be road and xc stuff. Really pisses me off b/c I had been riding a lot lately and hitting the gym... I had already dropped almost 10 lbs and was starting to show better, well … some muscle tone.

Oh well... it could have been worse. Besides - made it 33 years without breaking a bone, and the last 12 of those mountain biking. And those who bike with me know that is pretty remarkable. :D

I sent this text as an email to my friends/family – and the responses have been fairly funny, here are a couple good ones:
• Well I've gotta say I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.
• Is the bike OK?
• Not exactly a motivational speech for those of us aspiring towards catching a little air.
• You never broke a bone before...WOW!
• Sorry to hear about the mishap but glad to hear you're not eating through a straw...
• I hope you have good pain meds.
• May booze be your comfort in a time of need...
• I'm not sure what hurts more, actually breaking the bone or not being able to ride for several months.
• It is remarkable that you have never broken a bone before -- actually, you are the first among us three. Congratulations! (From my Sister)
• Nice freakin' goin'!
And my favorite:
• With one guy going off after another, some not getting up and others continuing to proceed.......I couldn't help but think of that advertisement where they show the video clip then "people do stupid things.... who-whooo, who, who, who....."

Thanks to –BB- for playing ambulance driver and taking me around to go get my Rx (and some beer). :thumb:

Thanks to Orven and friend (sorry didn’t think to introduce myself…) who spotted us and swung by to see how we were doing – then helped load Bobby into the truck. :thumb:

And of course thanks to the Mammoth crew (first responder Pete and friends) who got to us quick, were as gentle as they could be, and overall were just good guys with great attitudes. At the end of the day as we were loading up the truck, some of them recognized us and stopped by to see how we were doing! :thumb:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
blt2ride said:
Sorry to hear about your injury. Did you get hurt on Chain Smoke's coffin jumps?
Yup...

Really not sure what I did wrong. I had hit the 1st one (without falling) when Bobby went down, and I was able to stop in time (he was at the 3rd). Then I went slower into them the 2nd time...

robdamanii said:
Glad you're alive. Was the jumping worth the ER trip?
Not really! But they look so mild ... table top style jumps dug into the ground, it's not like I had to clear a gap!

Oh well - felt off all morning... just one of those days.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Dang man! Sorry to hear about the bone, but hey, you had a good run of 33 years. (I also made it to 33 before my first one... something about that number) Glad to hear that you are OK otherwise.

Props to Giro for saving your melon.

Heal fast so you can get back on the trail.

You're going to need lot's of beer.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Ouch, thats a bummer. Hope you heal up quick. Those coffin jumps are dangerous. I like to jump and I still avoid those things. Didn't some racer break his kneck on those last year? Steep lips, steeper-landings, and very close together, is a recipe for disaster. Anyway, I hope your buddy gets better too.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
another victim of the coffin jumps...my buddy was on the trail crew up there and before the nat. last year he called me and was like "dude we built some jumps on the race course that are gonna take out so many guys!!!" i guess he was right...didnt someone get seriously hurt on those last year???

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
With jumps like those it kinda makes me wonder if Mammoth isn't setting themselves up for a lawsuit.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Sorry to hear about your injury...Broken collarbones hurt like crazy and take a while to heal up.

I broke my collarbone in March, landing sideways off a jump, and it took about 10 weeks before I could finally start riding my XC bike.

Take it easy and let the bone heal properly. You don't want to come back too early and re-injure yourself losing out on more riding time.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
good to hear that bobby is ok afterall. It was hilarious when he was making fun of things with us while we're carrying him to the truck..

I hit the "coffin jumps" on Sun and they were horrible but not so when you're just "playing with them" at decent speed -kinda like hitting a pack. I hit it twice on the way to Velocity -kinda nice way to slow down getting into the rock section. But the jumps gets scary when hit at full speed fo sho!

heal up!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Orvan said:
good to hear that bobby is ok afterall. It was hilarious when he was making fun of things with us while we're carrying him to the truck..
He's a funny dude...

Thanks again for the help... I sure as hell wasn't going to be able to help them!!!

Orvan said:
I hit the "coffin jumps" on Sun and they were horrible but not so when you're just "playing with them" at decent speed -kinda like hitting a pack. I hit it twice on the way to Velocity -kinda nice way to slow down getting into the rock section. But the jumps gets scary when hit at full speed fo sho!
That's what keeps going through my head - I wasn't going very fast at all!!!

I slowed down to almost nothing on the loose stuff just before the first jump, then just let off the brakes on the approach... nothing that should have shot me the way it did. Hell I hit it faster the first time and was able to control it!
:mad:
It's aggravating to say the least.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
I was thinking in my race run last year that mabye u could boost the first one and land on top of the second one supercross style and still have enough speed for third but i decided it wouldnt be a smart idea...

TYM

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Torrance CA
Slugman,

Glad your friend didn't suffer serious injuries. It was scary to see someone sprawled out right under the gondola. I can't believe they haven't fixed or filled in those coffins.

Heel up quick bro!