Quantcast

Hadley / drive side bearing disintegrated, outer race still in hub body

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
A classic case of JRA, the drive side bearing died on me during a ride without any prior hints of its impeding death.

Anywho, anyone got any ideas how to get the remaining fragment of the outer race out of the hub? It is meant to be pulled from the non-drive side, resting against a lip. I guess there is a lengthy session of tapping it our with a fine tip screwdriver in my future.

Also, the freehub bearing's delrin retainer is seized in place and cannot be unscrewed. Any hints?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
contact Hadley (through their website) and explain
obtain RMA & ship to them (at address you find on their website)
borrow a wheel or do something else for a couple of weeks
receive freshed buttered hub from Hadley, buttered like a buttery biscuit, generously spread with buttery butter
profit !

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
contact Hadley (through their website) and explain
obtain RMA & ship to them (at address you find on their website)
borrow a wheel or do something else for a couple of weeks
receive freshed buttered hub from Hadley, buttered like a buttery biscuit, generously spread with buttery butter
profit !

I am not unlacing the hub for such a trivial issue. :brows: I hammered the remaining shrapnel out, the other bearing removal should be a piece of cake, new bearings are en route, another wheel is already on bike.

I am gonna call Hadley anyway and ask about a too short spring possibility (one pawl seems to be underserved) and about the stuck retainer.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sufficient heat should aid in removal. Journey to the molten mountain of lava from whence it was forged.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
wow. i havent seen a bearing do that in a hub before. what happened when it grenaded?
It stung a bit. :D Felt like a bad gear change when pedaling uphill - but for no reason. I think I know why - the freehub body's circular spring is likely too short (perhaps a tip broke off), and one of the pawls gets lazy sometimes. One sided force application would do that to a bearing, I guess. Luckily, the ratchet and hub body look fine, and Suzanne@Hadley is sending me new pawls, spring and seals and, a spanner free of charge. Their CS rocks!!