Quantcast

Hadley Hub question...

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
I see a lot of people online ask how to service a Hadley Hub, so I figured I'd photograph the entire process and post it here for anyone to see how it's done later. That was when I found something odd.

Having spoken with Hadley, they agreed that it might be a bearing that rusted and went bad by my description of the problem.

Last night I took the hub apart. First off, pin spanners that Hadley recommended to remove the nut on one side, do nothing to loosen the cassette side. I bent one set and went to home depot and bought heavy duty's and they bent as well. So I had to use vice grips (don't freak) that I wrapped with some left over inner tube rubber that I wrapped over the free hub side nut to protect it and hold it tight rather than lock it on just to hold it in place in order to crack the outside bolt lose with a 21mm cone wrench on the other side. I did notice one bearing was a little rough, and the other spun smooth. After carefully removing the bearings from the hub, I noted on the rough spinning bearing, a black area of the rubber seal that extended outside the black rubber seal and over the metal edge and I thought it was just excess rubber of the seal hanging over the metal bearing lip. The bearing is bad anyway, so I took an exacto blade to pick at the excess rubber and to lift the seal up to investigate how the bearing got water in it and rusted and realized it wasn't rubber overlapping. Normally good sealed bearings don't do this so I decided to investigate which is where I think I found the answer, however I'm confused as to what I found. See pics below:

I noted that the black parts that I thought were rubber overlapping the metal edge were not rubber, they were chips around the outer edge of the metal bearing on the inside edge lip that buts up against the rubber seal. It was never sealed. In other words, holes. It dawned on me that this was either a defective damaged bearing that was put in unnoticed, or it was damaged when it was installed originally as the rubber seal that seals off the bearing from water getting in, could not cover the chipped edges of the bearing edge which the seal rests and that said, water could easily get in the hub and into the bearing through these chips that the rubber seal on the bearing could not seal as it was designed to do. During regular washing, water got into the bearing and rusted it.

Has anyone seen these chips on bearings or better yet, with a Hadley Hub? I was under the impression they were the best. I inquired about them on this website two years back and bought them because everyone spoke so highly of them and their bomb proof durability. I must say, I'm a little dissatisfied I have to already be servicing them. I've rode Shimano and Azonic's and literally never replaced or lubed the hubs for years and wore out the rubber braking area before the bearings went up, and in those cases, the wheels were so cheap I just bought new ones. But these are disc hub Hadleys and the wheelset did cost me a small fortune so I want to service them and get back up and running again soon.

I'm not sure where to purchase new bearings cheap but they are 61804 LLB DIN 5 ABEC 5. Could this rust have affected my free hub? Does this look like originally installed defect? Or damaged on original install and not noticed?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm not sure where to purchase new bearings cheap but they are 61804 LLB DIN 5 ABEC 5. Could this rust have affected my free hub? Does this look like originally installed defect? Or damaged on original install and not noticed?
MC Master Carr. www.mcmaster.com when re-ordering you may have to go by the specs (use a set of calipers to get it right)

who knows about the damage. standard bearings are cheap.

or:

http://www.go-ride.com/SPD/hadley-freehub-parts--1B9A0000-1166283051.jsp

rebuild the whole hub while you're at it, or just do the bearing and have spare parts.

also, go-ride already has a really good service walkthrough on their site:

http://www.go-ride.com/Articles/hadley_hub_regular_maintenance_intro.htm

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
thats a bummer that this happened. stupid mis-hap maybe on their end?

you can get the bearings from Enduro pretty cheap
http://enduroforkseals.com/id138.html

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Has anyone seen these chips on bearings or better yet, with a Hadley Hub? I was under the impression they were the best. I inquired about them on this website two years back and bought them because everyone spoke so highly of them and their bomb proof durability. I must say, I'm a little dissatisfied I have to already be servicing them. I've rode Shimano and Azonic's and literally never replaced or lubed the hubs for years and wore out the rubber braking area before the bearings went up, and in those cases, the wheels were so cheap I just bought new ones. But these are disc hub Hadleys and the wheelset did cost me a small fortune so I want to service them and get back up and running again soon.
hadley manufactures the hubs, not the bearings. so probably a defect in the bearing.

if you've had them 2 years and not serviced them, that's probably your problem. They are a high percision high performance component. I have 3 sets, and clean & lubricate all of them at least twice a year, and replace pawls every year whether they need it or not. My oldest set is now around 8 years old and still works flawlessly.

I'd also recommend this:

http://www.go-ride.com/SPD/hadley-hub-tool-set--1B970000-1166282938.jsp

yea, its pricey, but IMO worth every penny. Granted, it was easier for me to justify as I have several sets of Hadleys. And I also loan the tools out in exchange for some beers to friends who have Hadleys but not the tools.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Thanks for the help guys. I figure it's not Hadley that made the bearing, I just thought they may have been chipped in install because it was on the inside when I looked inside. Either that or they were defective day one and Hadley just didn't notice on install and put them in unknowing. I did get them late '08 but only rode them like a month. So last season I got in from May to October, about one ride a week skipping three weekends at the beach so I got about 20 rides in, and this season about maybe 25 I guessing. And I don't race so I guess 50 is the limit before servicing a Hadley from what I'm getting.

And I agree with JonKranked. I'm calling Hadley now to order the whole kit. I got the thing completely apart, I might as well for next season's ride. Thank God I got two bikes. I would have been down a month and a half with all the fails this summer. And I don't even race. GEESH.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I'd also recommend this:

http://www.go-ride.com/SPD/hadley-hub-tool-set--1B970000-1166282938.jsp

yea, its pricey, but IMO worth every penny. Granted, it was easier for me to justify as I have several sets of Hadleys. And I also loan the tools out in exchange for some beers to friends who have Hadleys but not the tools.
Other than the spanner wrenches and the thin open end wrenches, what else is included? What's the closed circle thing for? Still need a bearing press, correct?

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Can I tap the bearings in with the flat end of a wood dowel over buying a bearing press?

And THIS is the tool I would have needed on the right. Man could I have used that last night.

Anyone know where I can get that? Regular pin spanner's just bent. I was on pins and needles with a vice grip and rubber over the nut.

Lastly, Enduro has this type of seal... is it the same? It looks different. Has a pressure ring around the rubber seal it seems. Mine didn't.

Is this better than what came in my Hadley?

Last edited:

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Does anyone have a link showing photos of the free hub rebuild? I'm shooting shots of taking out the bearings to put up in case someone in the future wants to know how to do it. Unless that's on here already in which case let me know.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Other than the spanner wrenches and the thin open end wrenches, what else is included? What's the closed circle thing for? Still need a bearing press, correct?
i think the circle thing is a clamp for some early model hubs; i've never used it

and yes still need a bearing press.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Update: I spoke to Suzanne at Hadley today. They do want me to send the whole thing back to look at it. She said if the bearing was defective they'd replace them for nothing. They also ware concerned with looking at the hub internals etc to see if the rusting bearing could have caused any other damage to other parts, if so they'll cover them. Boy what a great company, just like Cane Creek man. No hassles, just happy you bought from them, that's downright American man. Gotta love that. I told Suzanne to just go ahead rebuild the free hub while it's there. Might as well.

Anyone need a new $25 spanner and $10 21mm cone wrench? LOL

stballer13

Chimp
Jun 3, 2007
Hadley does produce their freehub bearing in house. Mine had a lot of side to side play. I searched everyone trying to find a place to buy them. It is a really weird size with a 29.5 od. I couldnt find it anywhere so I gave hadley a call. They only sell the bearing with the freehub rebuild kit.