Quantcast

Hadley Hubs for XC/Trail Wheel Build?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I'm thinking of building myself a set of wheels for my 5 Spot. Our team has Hadley and Sun Rims for sponsors and I really love the red Hadley hubs.

So are Hadley hubs light enough for a trail wheel build? I'm not a total weight weenie, but I've only seen them on DH bikes.

Thanks, Amy

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
Well here are some numbers for you to consider:

Hadley front hub 194g
Shimano XT Disc 6 bolt 244g
Chris King ISO front 166g

Hadley rear Hub 355g
Shimano XT rear 435g
Chris King Rear 306g

So are they light enough for a trail bike. Only you can really be the judge of that.

Now with that being said, I ran Hadley's on my XC bike for quite a few years. The only hub I have not been able to break....very dependable.

They may not have the "Bling" factor like the Kings, but I think they will hadle anything that you can throw at them.

mtnbikej

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I have a set of Hadley / Sun Singletrack wheels on my Tracer.

I used a 108 point engagement rear with 10mm thru axle. Very nice hub and instant engagement when you start pedaling. Nice for wheelie drops. You just have to get used to the hissing sound when coasting.

Mike

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Thanks guys for the gram weight. I would love to get a set of King hubs but I don't have that kind of money. Since I get a deal on the Hadley's I think I'll go that route. My Sun Hub already makes the clicking sound when I coast. It used to really annoy me but now I'm used to it.

Second question: Spookes and Nipples( :nope: ).....is there a better/worse brand out there?

Thanks again, Amy

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Just get some Hadleys. They work and have boatloads of options if needed.

Spokes........DT or WS. Alloy nipples will save a little bit of weight but I tend to like brass nipples. I don't know much about butted spokes but since I'm more on the heavy side I tend to run 14g stright spokes.

Remember too when it comes to weight the rotating kind, the hubs don't matter all that much as the rims/tires/tubes will make a bigger impact.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Snacks said:
Thanks guys for the gram weight. I would love to get a set of King hubs but I don't have that kind of money. Since I get a deal on the Hadley's I think I'll go that route. My Sun Hub already makes the clicking sound when I coast. It used to really annoy me but now I'm used to it.

Second question: Spookes and Nipples( :nope: ).....is there a better/worse brand out there?

Thanks again, Amy
Amy, some more info would be good. What's your riding style? Are you smooth and floaty or point and bash. You said a 5 Spot which is a trail bike. I run a QR20 on my trail bike which may be slightly overkill for you. Your weight (helps w/ spoke/nipple and rim choice as well as number of crosses), disc or Vs, and tire choices (fall more to XC or heavier trail tires, tubed or t-less?).

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Pau11y said:
Amy, some more info would be good. What's your riding style? Are you smooth and floaty or point and bash. You said a 5 Spot which is a trail bike. I run a QR20 on my trail bike which may be slightly overkill for you. Your weight (helps w/ spoke/nipple and rim choice as well as number of crosses), disc or Vs, and tire choices (fall more to XC or heavier trail tires, tubed or t-less?).
Okay...disc brakes only(lots of mud here in PNW), tubes. I would like to think I'm more smooth than bash. I tend to ride more technical trails than smooth ones. For rims I'm looking at a set of Sun, DS1-XC, 32 hole. Weight = 135.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Snacks said:
Okay...disc brakes only(lots of mud here in PNW), tubes. I would like to think I'm more smooth than bash. I tend to ride more technical trails than smooth ones. For rims I'm looking at a set of Sun, DS1-XC, 32 hole. Weight = 135.
Oh hell yeah, they should hold up fine for your weight, even on tech trails. I'm thinking somfin like a 2.2 or 2.25 tire w/ about 30-37# of air and light tubes. And for your weight, you could use alloy nips w/ 14/15/14 butted spokes in a 3x front and rear. If your trails were a bit smoother, like here (CO), you might be able to get away w/ 2x, even w/ discs.
The Hadleys' weight shouldn't even be an issue. Hell, they're waaay lighter than the XT ones.
Base for comparison:
I weigh 185 loaded and I use DT Swiss' D4.1 (simular to the x17 Mavic XC rims), 36 3x w/ alloys and straight spokes in the rear, and 32 3x alloy w/ 14/15/14 to a 20mm hub in the front. Tires are IRC 2.25 Trail Bears w/ Stans. This is on an 5.2" '04 Enduro Pro (about 28#) Since the build, I've yet needed to true them. I ride pretty smooth and tend to not drop anything over 3 feet on this bike. Our trails are smooth, but the speeds are high. So when I hit things, it tends to be at higher speed.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Pau11y said:
Oh hell yeah, they should hold up fine for your weight, even on tech trails. I'm thinking somfin like a 2.2 or 2.25 tire w/ about 30-37# of air and light tubes. And for your weight, you could use alloy nips w/ 14/15/14 butted spokes in a 3x front and rear. If your trails were a bit smoother, like here (CO), you might be able to get away w/ 2x, even w/ discs.
The Hadleys' weight shouldn't even be an issue. Hell, they're waaay lighter than the XT ones.
Base for comparison:
I weigh 185 loaded and I use DT Swiss' D4.1 (simular to the x17 Mavic XC rims), 36 3x w/ alloys and straight spokes in the rear, and 32 3x alloy w/ 14/15/14 to a 20mm hub in the front. Tires are IRC 2.25 Trail Bears w/ Stans. This is on an 5.2" '04 Enduro Pro (about 28#) Since the build, I've yet needed to true them. I ride pretty smooth and tend to not drop anything over 3 feet on this bike. Our trails are smooth, but the speeds are high. So when I hit things, it tends to be at higher speed.
Hey thanks for your help! I'm sending in my Hadley order tomorrow and start the waiting game. Sun should come with in a week or two.

I'm really excited about building a wheel set! :) I'll post pictures when they're ready!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I'm also building a lighter wheelset for my Spot. Currently have Hadley/521's but will soon build some Hope Proto/819's.

just waiting for the hubs to get released