Quantcast

Hafjell (NOR) 2013 World Cup #5

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
So I think those positions means Gee goes into Leogang with only a 17pt lead over Smith...

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Did you think they'd put out a video showing anything else? Carbon's their new material, of course they're going to make a video showing it dicking all over aluminium. For all we know the ally frames were weakened and the carbon ones had 20% more layers than the production models. Just saying.

No off course not, then they wouldnt even have made the video or bikes in carbon. Look at the inverted 40 somethings dont become anything else than prototypes if they dont offer any advantage over current tech. Simple business. But carbon is used in other various high stress application way beyond dh bikes and in hockey sticks that break like twigs. Carbon done right is stronger than alu, carbon done wrong not so much.

Ok it was the Nomad they tested. However as long as they arent really flat out lying the alu ones were left over production stock and the carbon was an old fatigue test mule (which had also been ridden for two years after) and Sven martin's personal frame. And the carbon was stronger by a healthy margin in both tests.

Albeit the carbon frames just snapped whereas the alu ones bent.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
No off course not, then they wouldnt even have made the video or bikes in carbon. Look at the inverted 40 somethings dont become anything else than prototypes if they dont offer any advantage over current tech. Simple business. But carbon is used in other various high stress application way beyond dh bikes and in hockey sticks that break like twigs. Carbon done right is stronger than alu, carbon done wrong not so much.

Ok it was the Nomad they tested. However as long as they arent really flat out lying the alu ones were left over production stock and the carbon was an old fatigue test mule (which had also been ridden for two years after) and Sven martin's personal frame. And the carbon was stronger by a healthy margin in both tests.

Albeit the carbon frames just snapped whereas the alu ones bent.
I'm not debating whether carbon is good or not (for the record, I'm a fan).

But citing that video as a reason to praise their carbon is EXACTLY what the other guy meant by saying he was "marketing's wet dream".

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Blenkinsop seems to have found consistency this year. Awesome.

And Peat in 6th. Very cool.

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
Did you think they'd put out a video showing anything else? Carbon's their new material, of course they're going to make a video showing it dicking all over aluminium. For all we know the ally frames were weakened and the carbon ones had 20% more layers than the production models. Just saying.
You haven't seen the video have you?

It's Pinkbikes, not Santa Cruz'. If it doesn't convince you, I can't imagine what would.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Like everyone else Im so stoked for Neethling. Only 12s down on the best time in the dry. Hucking that road gap in the wet is beyond me. Wow. Even Hill squashed it. And did you see Beer's roost??? 0_0

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
Am waiting to watch the broadcast, but wow... Steve Peat in 6th!?

And Gee had the worst Sector 2 of anyone in the top 23... yikes.

Last edited:

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Been an exciting season so far! At the start, I expected Gwin to continue his domination, Stevie to become consistant top 3 guy, pushing Gee down. Totally underestimated Gee's drive to win. I kinda expected this to be the year that Hart, Brook, Bruni, and Brosnan to be moving up, pushing some of the older blood off the back. Pretty awesome to see Mick, Blenki, Needles doing well.

Looking forward to the finals. Go Stevie!

Last edited:

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Stoked for old school Peaty and Niklas Wallner, about time he got to step out of his brother shadow and got some sunshine. Shame though that Robin couldnt put down a worthy run

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Been an exciting season so far! At the start, I expected Gwin to continue his domination, Stevie to become consistant top 3 guy, pushing Gee down. Totally underestimated Gee's drive to win. I kinda expected this to be the year that Hart, Brook, Bruni, and Brosnan to be moving up, pushing some of the older blood off the back. Pretty awesome to see Mick, Blenki, Needles doing well.

Looking forward to the finals. Go Stevie!
Both wins this year in the rain for Stevie, in quali he got beat pretty well by Gee and Mick. Pray for rain at Leogang!

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
That steep right hander was evil wasn't it, and that step down, fookin hell! Think I held my breath for every rider coming over it! It's funny I'm never sure who I want to win until they actually start racing....today turned out to be Hart, so close.

Next round is going to be tense!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
t! It's funny I'm never sure who I want to win until they actually start racing....today turned out to be Hart, so close.

Next round is going to be tense!
Yeah, I find myself rooting for whatever rider happens to be on course a lot.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Almost want to drink some Red Bull just because they give us this great footage for free. This season has been a lot more fun to watch without Gwins domination. Cool to see somebody like Blenki working his way up there again I think Ratboy could learn something from his playbook. What a race it will be next weekend.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
that was an awesome race. stevie is really turning into the consumate pro, and fierce competitor. Nice to see Needles with the kind of result he is fully capable of on a regular basis. And Blenki up there too. He's such a talented rider, and with fitness to boot, I'm expecting good things from him in Leogang.

so... anyone know what tires Stevie was running? Those are the kinds of conditions we see a lot of here, and I'm curious to know if it was the Magic Mary or the Wicked Will?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Dirty Dan - cut perhaps?
Also would not rule out a DirtyDan Magic Mary combo.

Great to see Peaty showing the younger ones how it's done. Would really like to see him on the Podium a couple more times.

Mustache Power!

michael

Last edited:

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
looks like the junior men got mangled, most of the top lads had DNF's.... so presume the rain has arrived:eek:

nice game changer to make it even more interesting.

Suding took some digger in practice...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=571106872949040&set=vb.123645314350878&type=2&theater

don't see many head tube failures these days.....
i think its douchey to post broken bikes on facebook that are from competition use. And that includes whether its a one-off or a production model, or if its carbon or aluminum.

i'm not sure why GT went back to aluminum for the Fury, but I'd guess its economic reasons, or timing of getting something under their team riders for this season - which seemed to work pretty well for them since Gee and Rachel are killing it on the new bike. Plus with the spectre of 27.5 hanging about, it might be a financial bungle to make a brand new full carbon DH rig this year. Oops. But you know what pretties up a bungle? Rainbow stripes.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
was just looking at the podium shot. Good thing for Fox that Minnaar was on the podium... Othewise it would have been a Boxxer sweep. I remember Fox making a big deal about it when they first got their podium sweep (I think it was in Val di Sole last year? or the year before?)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Geek stats are up: http://dirt.mpora.com/news/geek-stats-2013-hafjell-world-cup.html

Smith fastest in Sectors 1 and 2, third in last sector. Last sector is closest to Leogang no? Some wide-open and some technical gnar... so it should be a good representation of the Leogang presumably? If that's the case, then we could see another solid result from Blenki, Smith and Hart.... and possibly even Minnaar... Not that I'd ever count Gee out...