Quantcast

Hah I just told someone to look under the desk for their PC...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
And they replied "I wouldn't know where that is."!?! She then proceeded to ask a coworker where she should look.

My question is that if you don't know where "under" is on a desk, how can you have survived in this world long enough to become a working adult?

It is like frikin' Sesame Street around here...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Tenchiro said:
It pays well enough that I can buy some hand puppets to help explain things.
Does it pay well enough that you can have the most incompetent employees killed?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Tenchiro said:
And they replied "I wouldn't know where that is."!?! She then proceeded to ask a coworker where she should look.

My question is that if you don't know where "under" is on a desk, how can you have survived in this world long enough to become a working adult?

It is like frikin' Sesame Street around here...
Welcome to my world...

"Yes, doctor... the big TV thing that has the pictures on it that make the programs go."

Seriously. No exageration... I have really had to say that to a frikkin doctor.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Ciaran said:
Welcome to my world...

"Yes, doctor... the big TV thing that has the pictures on it that make the programs go."

Seriously. No exageration... I have really had to say that to a frikkin doctor.
The Dr's here for the most part do ok, or they have the sense to make one of their nurses call us.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
fiddy_ryder said:
I am taking a IT Mafiosos approach, I dangle people over the edge on the roof and threaten bodily harm.
A couple of guys I knew used to get back at the most obnoxious users by using the remote desktop software to install benchmark/stress test programs and setting them as a high priority process, then hiding them.

One of two things would happen: A) the user would suffer with it, since nothing was actually crashing, the computer was just mind numbingly slow (good - punishment given), or B) the user would call and the IT guy would appear and banish the demons (also good - makes the IT guy look like a hero).

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
binary visions said:
A couple of guys I knew used to get back at the most obnoxious users by using the remote desktop software to install benchmark/stress test programs and setting them as a high priority process, then hiding them.

One of two things would happen: A) the user would suffer with it, since nothing was actually crashing, the computer was just mind numbingly slow (good - punishment given), or B) the user would call and the IT guy would appear and banish the demons (also good - makes the IT guy look like a hero).
That's awesome!

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
we typically unplug the users network connection in the datacenter and let squirm for a bit.

it also helps you introduce yourself to any attractive new hires.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
vinnycactus said:
we typically unplug the users network connection in the datacenter and let squirm for a bit.
Yeah, that's quite common but my experience is that 9 times out of 10 the user doesn't squirm for more than two and a half seconds before calling the helpdesk.

It takes them a while if you just slow their computer to a crawl, and some will live with it indefinitely :D

it also helps you introduce yourself to any attractive new hires.
Excellent strategy :thumb:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
So you guys are admin's too...I admin a few software tools here, and get a few help desk type calls a day as well. Some stuff is really hilarious...

splat

Nam I am
vinnycactus said:
we typically unplug the users network connection in the datacenter .... it also helps you introduce yourself to any attractive new hires.
:stupid:

Been there done that !!!

it also helps you hit your quote of help desk calls !

I once disconnected a whole department's Switch ( accidently ) 14 Helpdesk calls closed in shot !! :thumb: