Quantcast

Hah, they tested the freon here and killed the power to the datacenter...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
:rolleyes:

So most Halon fire systems are set to kill the power when they detect a fire, because the most common cause of a fire in a datacenter would be electrical.

Well they did a test of it today, and didn't disable the off switch and brought down the ENTIRE network.

At least they restored the internet connection first. :thumb:

EDIT -- I mean Halon not freon... :mumble:

menachite

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
The All American Valley
Tenchiro said:
:rolleyes:

So most freon fire systems are set to kill the power when they detect a fire, because the most common cause of a fire in a datacenter would be electrical.

Well they did a test of it today, and didn't disable the off switch and brought down the ENTIRE network.

At least they restored the internet connection first. :thumb:
Where was this?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Someone has been complaining about his job on an internet forum, then the power goes out at his employer's datacenter. Hmmm...

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
I take it your position has nothing to do with bringing the network back up. That would be a total nightmare if that happened where I work.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
BUCKET said:
I take it your position has nothing to do with bringing the network back up. That would be a total nightmare if that happened where I work.
I do end user support, suprisingly though it seems to be going up pretty smoothly.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
MINT. I hope all the executives have to cancel golf on Friday. I also hope they lost lots of money.

HOORAY FOR THE DATACENTER GOING DOWN

Data? Who needs it. It doesn't really exist anyhow. I've never seen DATA and I'm an Oracle DBA, so trust me, I'm telling you FLAT OUT THAT IT DOES NOT EXIST.

kNuCkLe

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Network crap is not as vulnerable as disk. One time the electrican accidently turned off the power (which he claimed he did not do, but he retreated for the rest of the day).

I sat in the machine room for 6 hours praying for recovery.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
sanjuro said:
Network crap is not as vulnerable as disk. One time the electrican accidently turned off the power (which he claimed he did not do, but he retreated for the rest of the day).

I sat in the machine room for 6 hours praying for recovery.
Oh it was the entire data center. (including the SAN) They are still working on getting all the different servers up and stable.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
surfinguru said:
Oh, somebody's efed. I shudder to think what would happen here if our data center lost power. So what happened to the UPS system? Does the Halon over-ride that setup?
I was wondering the same thing, but the Halon must override it.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Transcend said:
You guys still have an actual HALON system? That stuff has been banned for years now due to being incredibly toxic.
They are in the process of relocating the datacenter and are getting rid of it then.