N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Man Hits His Own Car Then Sues Himself
API | Mar 16 7:17 AM US/Eastern

LODI, Calif.

When a dump truck backed into Curtis Gokey's car, he decided to sue the city for damages. Only thing is, he was the one driving the dump truck. But that minor detail didn't stop Gokey, a Lodi city employee, from filing a $3,600 claim for the December accident, even after admitting the crash was his fault.

After the city denied that claim because Gokey was, in essence, suing himself, he and his wife, Rhonda, decided to file a new claim under her name.

City Attorney Steve Schwabauer said this one also lacks merit because Rhonda Gokey can't sue her own husband.

"You can sue your spouse for divorce, but you can't sue your spouse for negligence," Schwabauer said. "They're a married couple under California law. They're one entity. It's damage to community property."

But Rhonda Gokey insisted she has "the right to sue the city because a city's vehicle damaged my private vehicle."

In fact, her claim, currently pending at Lodi City Hall, is for an even larger amount _ $4,800.

"I'm not as nice as my husband is," she said.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
T-Dog said:
Sounds reasonable to me. The city should pay up because their employee damaged a citizens car.

Then fire the employee for being a careless driver.
Nice. :thumb:

When will the madness stop!?!?!?!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
T-Dog said:
Sounds reasonable to me. The city should pay up because their employee damaged a citizens car.

Then fire the employee for being a careless driver.
that is the most logical solution I think I have heard!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Only in Lodi, would something like this happen.

I would guess the city would treat it like any other damage. He could be fired even though it's his own car because I'm sure they could prove he at least scratched the truck in the process.

They should write it off as damage and then fire him. Makes sense to me.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
partsbara said:
in essence, sh1t like this is the main problem with the US... unfortunatley the ROW (inc. oz) seems to be following...
I hate the fact that we live in such a litigious society… but I am torn... I hate the fact that people can sue and win frivolous law suits... but at the same time I have a hard time thinking about limiting peoples ability to sue... I wish we had a board of common people who would review law suits and approve or dis-approve them... kinda a commonsense board... not related to the courts... the above case would definately never make it to trial:mumble:

end of rant:dead:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
brungeman said:
I hate the fact that we live in such a litigious society… but I am torn... I hate the fact that people can sue and win frivolous law suits... but at the same time I have a hard time thinking about limiting peoples ability to sue... I wish we had a board of common people who would review law suits and approve or dis-approve them... kinda a commonsense board... not related to the courts... the above case would definately never make it to trial:mumble:

end of rant:dead:
everyone wants a free ride... but, 'where do you draw the line'... go DKs :)

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
partsbara said:
everyone wants a free ride... but, 'where do you draw the line'... go DKs :)

I draw it at what I consider frivolous :)

this is a case in point... it has wasted how much of our tax money already? the driver should be ashamed of himself... then again it sounds like his wife was behind the suit in the first place... he probably came home with the story and she probably ear beat him until he said OK and filed the suit!!!:rolleyes: PVSSY!!!

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
I heard on the radio today a woman is suing the post office. Apparently she went on vacation and did not have the post office hold her mail so it piled up on her porch. When she came home she tripped over it and hurt herself. Good lord.

J

JRB

That's it. I am suing N8 because this guy hit his own car and N8 was watching laborers pour concrete.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Bullitrider said:
I heard on the radio today a woman is suing the post office. Apparently she went on vacation and did not have the post office hold her mail so it piled up on her porch. When she came home she tripped over it and hurt herself. Good lord.
that sweet... hopefully the fat POS will choke on a cinnabon till she dies...