Quantcast

Haha...my brother made the front page for riding his bike

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i just got an email from my sis-in-law about my brother being on the front page of their local paper.

kinda cool, he's a doctor and still chooses to ride his bike to work.(even though it is a road bike :mumble: :D )

linky

Cyclist gives up commuting by car

By NIKKI YOUNG
The Times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kevin Barber thought Hall County roads were safer and friendlier to bicycle traffic than metro Atlanta's until he wore a University of Florida cycle jersey.

"I had three cups of coffee thrown at me," the North Hall resident said. "Now, I try to wear red and black more often."

Since he moved from Atlanta in June, Barber started riding his bicycle to work at Gainesville Eye Associates.

As gas prices soared above $3 last week, he was glad to own a vehicle powered by human sweat. Even his economical Honda Accord seemed to guzzle too much fuel.

"It's always been my dream to ride my bike to work. It just seems more efficient," Barber said.

Riding to work wasn't a safe option while Barber completed his opthamology residency in Atlanta. The roads are too busy and bicycle lanes too scarce, he said.

A cyclist since age 7, Barber rides 100 to 150 miles each week. Last week, he made the first trip to his employer's satellite office in Blairsville.

Barber hasn't tried the trek to the Cornelia office by bicycle, but the alternative of paying more than $3 a gallon at the pump might be the motivation he needs.

Even if prices drop again, Barber plans to keep pedaling.

"I guess I'll do it as long as I can stand it," which may be until the weather gets too cold for the 31-year-old Florida native.

Barber hopes rising gas prices will convince more residents to hop on their bicycles.

"The more people who do it, the safer it will become," he said.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Bwaaa, every one should ride to work.

All the guys i work with ride their bikes to work and its 22 miles each way.

There are so many bikes and bike paths in Sun Valley that all the cop cars have bike racks on them to arrest drunk bikers around the bars at night.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Sometimes i wish i had a job where i sat on my ass all day, then i'd ride to work everyday myself.
But then i'd have to probably wear a suit or somethin, that would be unnacceptable.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
mack said:

There are so many bikes and bike paths in Sun Valley that all the cop cars have bike racks on them to arrest drunk bikers around the bars at night.

wtf? it wasn't a pissing contest thread, just thought it was cool that my doofy-arse brother made the paper. thought it was funny that he's getting harassed for wearing his UF cycling team jersey in "gainseville, GA". :D

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
mack said:

nice avatar

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
manimal said:
wtf? it wasn't a pissing contest thread, just thought it was cool that my doofy-arse brother made the paper. thought it was funny that he's getting harassed for wearing his UF cycling team jersey in "gainseville, GA". :D

No, no pissing contest. I can just picture some one reading that article and saying, "Honey! Come look at this! This fellow rides his bike to work, can you imagine!"

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
manimal said:
just thought it was cool that my doofy-arse brother made the paper. thought it was funny that he's getting harassed for wearing his UF cycling team jersey in "gainseville, GA". :D
i would imagine your brothers retort to this would be in the realm of his ability to fit into the jersey versus his donut eating brother. ;)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
rooftest said:
I'm wondering why an opthamologist is complaining about $3 gas.
He's extremely frugal. just recently started at a practice where he can actually make some money. has been making $35k for the past 3 years as a resident and won't make the true big$$ for another 4 year after he buys into the practice.

besides, it's just the principle of the thing. he's always enjoyed road riding and he's stoked to live somewhere that is bike-friendly.

skookum - nah, he doesn't make too many doughnut jokes. ever since i was about 17 i've been his big little brother. he tried to wrestle me a few years ago.....he lost. :D brother = 5'8", 155lbs v. me = 5'10, 240lbs :oink:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
rooftest said:
when you factor in the monetary value of the risk of riding a road bike on traffic... i think he might be loosing money.

i wish the lloyds had a public info list for stuff like that...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Now my question is:

In a cycling pentathlon:

Road
XC
DH
DJ
Super-D

Who would win, Manimal or Manimal's brother?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
sanjuro said:
Now my question is:

In a cycling pentathlon:

Road
XC
DH
DJ
Super-D

Who would win, Manimal or Manimal's brother?
Looks to me like its coming down to the Super D:rofl:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
rooftest said:
because some people, no matter how much money they make, think its fricking ridiculous to pay 3 bucks a gallon when you can ride a bike for free.

Its sweet that he made the paper. although not as sweet as making it on the news, and I would totally rub that in his face. :p