Quantcast

Half Decent Bike ?

Sam Smith

Chimp
Dec 24, 2012
Somerset,UK
This is my current Bike, I bought it off a mate a while back.

Now beginning to ride it a lot and would like to know what you guys think of it and whether it would be okay (for now) for 'small' dirt jumps and trails ?

All decals on the frame has been removed so can't make out what brand it is, although it has 'Zoom' on the suspension and handle bars ..

Here it is anyway !

Cheers !! :P

IMG_3538.jpg

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
You might want to visit a local bike shop and check out their bikes. Look for one that carries mountain bikes and bmx bikes. That's where you'll find dirt jump bikes.

Ride fast, take chances.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
It looks like a low end department store bike. Go ahead and ride it, but maybe not too hard. Components failing catastrophically could be painful. If you decide to keep it up, invest in a better bike at that time.

Sam Smith

Chimp
Dec 24, 2012
Somerset,UK
It looks like a low end department store bike. Go ahead and ride it, but maybe not too hard. Components failing catastrophically could be painful. If you decide to keep it up, invest in a better bike at that time.
BTW, What makes it look like a low end bike ? jw :)

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
You are asking guys on a site that is focused on mountain bikes. Many of the more experienced members are bike shop employees, industry guys, and racers. They know what the design and technology landscape looks like, and wht it has looked like for years. The suspension and frames design, the weld quality, the component choice all scream "I look flashy to people who don't know bikes" and at the same time "I look like a bad idea" to the experienced eye. It is a bit like asking a horse expert what makes a horse look good for a certain purpose; they can just tell (and could explain it to you if you had the time to listen).

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
You are asking guys on a site that is focused on mountain bikes. Many of the more experienced members are bike shop employees, industry guys, and racers. They know what the design and technology landscape looks like, and wht it has looked like for years. The suspension and frames design, the weld quality, the component choice all scream "I look flashy to people who don't know bikes" and at the same time "I look like a bad idea" to the experienced eye. It is a bit like asking a horse expert what makes a horse look good for a certain purpose; they can just tell (and could explain it to you if you had the time to listen).
Translation...they are all a bunch of elitist assholes.

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
It's a bit of everything. Even though the pic is a bit low res, you can see the rear shock is low quality (coil without remote reservoir), front fork has department style look (see, e.g., the tiny triple), the cranks and in particular the chainring cover, the frame design is really odd and not really reflective of current bikes although the seatmast approach was shared by GT in the past. There are lots of other things that make me go hmmm, but here are a couple.