Quantcast

Half-lid

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So what's everyone's choice these days for a non-full-face? I have an older Fox that rattles around a lot when the trail gets rough, unless it's set painfully tight, and even then it likes to shift. I have a skate-style lid that's a little better at staying in place, but not vented.

Would like something that stays in place like my o'neal fullface but doesn't cook my head when it gets pedally.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Really comes down to what fits your head best.

I happen to be right on the edge of medium and large in the main brands. Sometimes they will make a medium a bit large, and that’s what I end up with… often times riding with a helmet that’s 4 weeks of hair growth away from too tight. The alternative is large/xls, which end up looking huge and not actually fitting that well. Recently had that experiment with a POC… it was comical. Looked like the dude from Space Balls.

Recently tried a Sweet Protection, and that’s the best-fitting helmet I’ve had innover 10 years.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Also worth pointing out that there are independent tests out there that might be worth your consideration. This led me to the sweet.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
For the last few years I've been running the IXS Trigger Full face and the Leatt 4.0 Enduro convertible helmet.
Totally rate both of these,
IXS is light & super well ventilated, there is a solid structure built into the jaw that wraps up around the back of the helmet so for it's light weight it's actually a reasonably tough helmet.
Leatt is in the same territory as the Giro Switchblade in terms of impact resistance, a bigger beefier more confidence inspiring helmet than the 3.0 it replaced.
Again the Leatt has been really well ventilated, bit heavier than the IXS but thats due to having more of an overkill build ethic up through the main part of the helmet than the IXS.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I really like my A3. Incredible fit and stability for my head.
The magnet buckle is cool, but I’d rather have a normal buckle and pay $50 less for the helmet.

The A2 is a good helmet; A3 is a great helmet.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I like my TLD A2, but the liners are pretty disposable and it's not that cool. It also leaves two gnarly imprints on my forehead, which makes me look like a klingon during post ride beer time. Use this mostly for night and winter rides now.

Also have a Giro Montaro, which I use the most now. It is definitely a little better in the vent category than the TLD.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
A1 sucks, it's too hot. I've tried too many helmets (most of them $$$), and there's one that's head and shoulders above all - the Specialized Ambush. Lightweight, fits my head well, one of the best (if not the best) vented helmets on the market, their MIPS implementation is very unobtrusive, very confidence inspiring coverage, excellent sweat management, looks great, also very light and well vented. Plus it's really well vented. Oh and the beak actually works, unlike the A1 and A2's.

I have the Leatt convertible as well and the Spesh is much better.

Edit: I own the A1 and not the A2. Updated, my bad.

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I really like my A3. Incredible fit and stability for my head.
The magnet buckle is cool, but I’d rather have a normal buckle and pay $50 less for the helmet.

The A2 is a good helmet; A3 is a great helmet.
How does your A3 fit compared to the A2? Any time on an A1? My old A1 was much more comfortable on my head than the A2 I replaced it with. The A2 is cooler than the A1 but I'd love even more ventilation given most riding is in hotter than hell NC.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have a Giro Montaro MIPS and it is like an air fryer for your head.

As a baldy my options were limited if I didn't want tiger stipes on my forehead in Summer.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Well, they both fit me well, but I don’t know anything about my head shape other than I’m usually right between M and L.
The A2 feels and fits similar to every other XC/trail mips helmet with typical helmet suspension to me: it sits sort of above my head like a crown and feels a little jiggly/pivoty. The A2 allows you to adjust the depth of the suspension to place the helmet a little higher or lower but you still get that jiggly feel with it in the low-rise position.

The A3 sits closer to my head in the back and feels locked in and secure like an open face, rather than an XC lid. That’s why it’s more comfortable in my view. The A3 feels like it wouldn’t fall off if I crashed with it unbuckled. Of course it would come off in that scenario but it FEELS like it wouldn’t. I like that, especially on rougher trails.

Not sure if this helps. I suggest trying one on.

Also the brow sweat seal thingy works as advertised, which is an added bonus.

How does your A3 fit compared to the A2? Any time on an A1? My old A1 was much more comfortable on my head than the A2 I replaced it with. The A2 is cooler than the A1 but I'd love even more ventilation given most riding is in hotter than hell NC.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
IXS Trigger AM works for me.

Similar fit to Giro stuff (as opposed to Bell), and the fidlock buckle is nice.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I have and really like the Fox Speedframe and TLD A3. The Speedframe is a great value (MIPS, Fidlock buckle) and can be found for as low as like $130. But I prefer the A3 most of the time because the sweatband works better, and the liner padding extends all the way around, so more sweat absorbion. Plus I like the look of the A3 better.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Thx for all the i put! I notice no one has even mentioned the Fox Dropframe...

I can get pro-deals on Leatt through work...hmm...

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

I was considering the drop frame but it gives me pressure points on my head. I wasn’t sure I could modify it to my shapes.

The Giro Switchblade is not comfy either. The Giro Spherical might be nice? Are you getting something with ear covers? I definitely prefer eating shit and dirt napping with ear covers more than without.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

Not a fan, under built IMHO
And their Proframe is one of the rare helmets to make it onto my "Do NOT buy" list, I've seen several fail badly when the jawbone's essentially imploded on fairly small crashes.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have a Dropframe. It is comfy, but hot. I liked the idea of moar coverage after I broke my face, but I only ride in it when it’s cold and not humid, a.k.a. almost never.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
A1 sucks, it's too hot. I've tried too many helmets (most of them $$$), and there's one that's head and shoulders above all - the Specialized Ambush. Lightweight, fits my head well, one of the best (if not the best) vented helmets on the market, their MIPS implementation is very unobtrusive, very confidence inspiring coverage, excellent sweat management, looks great, also very light and well vented. Plus it's really well vented. Oh and the beak actually works, unlike the A1 and A2's.

I have the Leatt convertible as well and the Spesh is much better.

Edit: I own the A1 and not the A2. Updated, my bad.
I'm happy to read this. I just picked up last year's Ambush as a replacement for my cracked IXS trigger.

I went to a bunch of bike shops to try on helmets to see which one fit best. My head seems to sit right at the break in sizes between M and L for most brands. Giro seem generously sized, so I could fit in an M, but it would be perched very high on my skull, and didn't seem to provide full protection. But an L was way too big and loose. The "oval vs round" shape of Fox, Bell, and Troy Lee didn't seem to be as comfortable on my head as the IXS and Leatt.

But the specialized was the best. I think this is in part because they had 4 shell sizes, and I could find the "cinderella" size for me. I also like the weight and ventilation. Only thing I'm not happy about is colour... I'm not a fan of plain dark colours for a helmet. I like them to be bright so I can be seen... on the road by vehicles, but also in the photos!!! But this was a previous-year model, so I couldn't be choosy.

IXS Trigger AM works for me.

Similar fit to Giro stuff (as opposed to Bell), and the fidlock buckle is nice.
The only thing I didn't like about my IXS was how squeaky the MIPS was... But it worked to protect my head when I crashed, and it was relatively light and airy.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I have but rarely use the Ambush (last model, not the '22 one). What I don't like about it is that the MIPS is basically the liner pads got soaked in rubber on the back half, so they slide around. That means that they're about half as absorbent as normal pads, leading to them dripping sweat in my eyes. The pads are also not very durable, I had them start to disintegrate within like 6 months and had to get a warranty replacement set. It is light and breathable though.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
All very interesting.

The Dropframe was #1 on my interest list because a review said it fit the head like a fullface rather than using the thin padding/rear-head-clamp-plastic arrangement, just hugged it with ample padding. I was hoping that could alleviate the bouncing-around-in-the-rough aspect of my current helmet. But it's also hot and humid right now here and gonna be that way through the rainy season.

I actually have a Team Wendy bump helmet from work, with a proper Boa system and good padding...hmmm. Never gonna use it again for the kind of work it was meant for...and I bet the forward nightvision mount can double for GoPro or a lamp lol. I'd feel a little stupid wearing it, but if the shoe fits...

just grabbed it, and it's a dense foam liner, not styrofoam...rated to whitewater BS EN 1385:2012 standard. Wonder if that's more or less than MTB? Guessing less...and at least so different as to be less than relevant.

Maybe what I really need is a half lid with a retention system that goes fully round the head, not just tightening across the back. Hmmmmm.

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Also, and don't punch me here, anyone tried the Oakley DRT5??

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Bell Sixer here. It's about time for a new helmet and I might just buy another one. It checks all the boxes for fit and whatnot, plus it has a removable gopro mount so I can quickly snap a light on there for night rides. Looked around and didn't see any other helmet that does that.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Replaced my Smith Forefront with a version 2 MIPS jobber.

Wife has a POC Kortal Race MIPS and seems happy with that too.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well REI has the POC Kortal Race MIPS on sale and I have a dividend, sooooo...

Dark horse wins!!

It has the 360-style fit deal, so I'm eager to see how that works out.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Dark horse wins!!

The POC (.*)tals fit weird for a few people I know. I’d try it before buying it, and you may have to adjust the depth of the helmet.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
The POC (.*)tals fit weird for a few people I know. I’d try it before buying it, and you may have to adjust the depth of the helmet.
Yup, my head's like 60cm or so and was exactly in between POC helmet sizes when I looked for a half shell. Medium was too tight to even get on my head, and large was so loose even with the adjustment fully tightened up that it just flopped around.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Not much chance of a try-on in El Salvador. If it doesn't fit, can probably sell for equal/more than I paid.

I have an Aliens-shaped head so maybe it'll work.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not much chance of a try-on in El Salvador. If it doesn't fit, can probably sell for equal/more than I paid.

I have an Aliens-shaped head so maybe it'll work.
A few places have them more on sale than REI

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, but I don't have free money with them from spending money...

That's a good price, tho, and I wouldn't have minded non-MIPs. Wish I'd seen it beforehand. Thanks a LOT, Westy.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

Dark horse wins!!

Picked up this helmet recently. Was surprised by how massive it was. Definitely stout, and half way to fullface in the construction. Fit was good though, but the sweet fit me better. fwiw.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Also worth pointing out that there are independent tests out there that might be worth your consideration. This led me to the sweet.
Do note that their testing methodology does not simulate skin or hair, its as if the helmet is sitting directly on your skull. So it will show MIPS and other similar style helmets as being unjustifiably better than standard helmets.

I kind of switched to the specialized gambit as my go to helmet unless I'm on the mildest of XC rides, its almost as light as my half shell and doesn't really breath any worse.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Kortal seems to fit me well in the xs/s...long oval like my head. I'm at the top end of it but under the minimum for M/L. Looks a lot bigger on my head than in the hand...just the shape I think.

I think it will be a lot better staying in place than my old Fox was.

I wish I'd not taken a chance on a weird color, though.