Quantcast

Half link chain...

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Ok, I have a 2008 eastern nighttrain. Chain popped a few times this week. But I have a problem with the chain. The chain has gotten significant chain growth, but the back wheel is slammed and I intend to keep it that way.

If I try to take out a link, I will come up a little short. Think it's time for a half link chain? If so, do I need a different chainbreaker (maybe pins are different diameters?), because I saw this:

http://www.danscomp.com/464041.php?cat=PARTS

Look at the link above the picture. Thanks.

Edit:Confused, what's the 1/8" and 3/32" measurement for chains mean? Thanks, again.

Last edited:
May 23, 2007
Stamford, CT
pish posh! you can break a half link chain with the cheapo park CT-5 chain breaker. The shadow breaker is 2 bucks more tho, on Danscomp. So its up to you.

Any which way, half link chains are the shiz. They do stretch maybe half a half link in total (overtime) but the extra long pins on the shadow chain make it almost indestructible. I ran the first generation when it came out and i am now running the V2 in black.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
half link chains are a joke. they wear out really quickly and wear out your drivetrain faster as well. Just get a kmc 710sl and a half link or two for it and slam away

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Why have an extra 1/2 pound in a full 1/2 link chain? Get the 710SL and a half-link. Done.

That is what I did. It literally has not stretched at all and I have had no issues.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I think the thinner chains are made for gears. Lighter, and more flexible, and take up less space. (So you can cram more gears into a cassette)

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
Why have an extra 1/2 pound in a full 1/2 link chain? Get the 710SL and a half-link. Done.

That is what I did. It literally has not stretched at all and I have had no issues.
You have a pic of what that looks like, I didn't know that was an option, thx.

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
Ok, found what chain looks like, still looking for the extra half-link. Looks tough, what's the diff between the 710sl 1/8" and 810sl 3/32" for running SS, maybe use of tensioner or something? Is the 710 stronger?

Last edited:

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
Ok, found what chain looks like, still looking for the extra half-link. Looks tough, what's the diff between the 710sl 1/8" and 810sl 3/32" for running SS, maybe use of tensioner or something? Is the 710 stronger?
you could buy the superstar half link which is nice but try checking with your LBS. they probably have pcs of half links in abundance. if they don't give you one for free they might charge a buck or two.

3/32 refers to the width of the chain. its smaller than 1/8. used mostly on geared setups, better clearance. if its SS, i'd go 1/8.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I actually used a link from my Shadow V2 on my 710SL. I had to use the roller from the 710SL inside of the 1/2 link but it works perfectly.

Pick on the bike:

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
I actually used a link from my Shadow V2 on my 710SL. I had to use the roller from the 710SL inside of the 1/2 link but it works perfectly.

Pick on the bike:

Yeah, I was wondering how the half-link goes onto the chain, thanks 4 the info. Like Stoked said, I'll see if LBS has something like this.