Quantcast

Half-links

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
Ok, so I hear many a good thing about using half-links to get your chain the right length for single speed on a bike with vertical dropouts. Now my question is, where might I find one of these half-links? Who makes them?

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Well, I guess needle-nosed pliers would be what I'd use in this case.

Actually, the pinless ones that BK linked to would be my preference for the most part... Can you wait until they get those in stock?

Here's a link to another like it, but sadly they only come in 1/8". Empire BMX

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
could somone explain to me what half links do?

you can even PM me if you dont want to hi jack this thread like i just did

thanks!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by monkeyboy424
could somone explain to me what half links do?

you can even PM me if you dont want to hi jack this thread like i just did

thanks!
Basically on a BMX, sometimes you want or need a chain length that can't be achieved by adding or taking out a link. It could be because you want to have your wheel way in the dropouts to make manuals easier, or maybe just because of the chainring and freewheel size. A half link allows you to adjust your chain length in half link increments.

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
Originally posted by Echo
Basically on a BMX, sometimes you want or need a chain length that can't be achieved by adding or taking out a link. It could be because you want to have your wheel way in the dropouts to make manuals easier, or maybe just because of the chainring and freewheel size. A half link allows you to adjust your chain length in half link increments.
But I don't understand how the chain will still fit around the cog/chainring with only half a link...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by SwisSlesS
But I don't understand how the chain will still fit around the cog/chainring with only half a link...
I'll try and get a pic of the one on my BMX. The chain goes around fine :D

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I recently made my street rig a single speed. My question is if i can use one of these with a standard mountain bike chain. Let me know! thanks.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by SwisSlesS
An normal chain has to have an even number of chain links. One male link to every female link. It looks like the half link has one male side and one female side allowing an odd number of links in a complete chain.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
or....

you can go to any decent hardware store and get the exact same thing.

these were invented for weedeaters or something that runs on gas and has a chain.

then they came into the bmx/ bike world....

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Originally posted by manhattanprjkt83
I recently made my street rig a single speed. My question is if i can use one of these with a standard mountain bike chain. Let me know! thanks.
no.

Gene Spicer is working on getting some 3/32 half-links made (3/32 is 8sp chain width)

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
Or buy a 1/8" chain, which is the size that all halflinks come in, and have the added security of a chain that will take one helluva beating. That's what I did. (and then it turned out that i didn't need a half link, lol!)

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
The most recent update: when I tried to go to a shop to buy a half-link, the first few didn't know what the hell I was talking about, and the last one I went to called the supplier who informed me that half-links break really easily. Anyone use a half-link and can confirm or deny this?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by skinny
The most recent update: when I tried to go to a shop to buy a half-link, the first few didn't know what the hell I was talking about, and the last one I went to called the supplier who informed me that half-links break really easily. Anyone use a half-link and can confirm or deny this?
some are crappy. Aliance makes really good ones, available easiest online at your fav. online dealer

try www.flatlandfuel.com I'm sure they have them and they are full on riders so they know what's up with these silly games that's played by the women....(actually, they is just one guy named Pat)

or go to a GOOD hardware store and they will have them as well. do NOT go to one of the large chain hardware stores such as home depo or eagle or lowes. they won't have a clue what you are talking about.

half links can break. I use one on my 20 inch, most people I ride with use them. chains break as well, I haven't noticed a difference....

I would stop going to that bike shop you mentioned....