Quantcast

Halp! My internetz haz teh brokenz.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Long story short: no Internet access for several days now. No pc/activity light on the modem. I can find my home wireless network but not actually connect to the Internet. I've repowerd everything probably a million times, borrowed a known good modem, physically by passed the router, and spent hours on the phone with Comcast who insist there is no problem on their end. I had thought perhaps the network card on my computer took a dump so I ordered one from newegg yesterday afternoon but then I had something of an ephinany this morning: even if my computer had an issue shouldn't all of my other devices still be able to connect to the Internet? Isn't my desktop irrelevant to the health of my home wireless network? As long as I've got a modem and a router properly set up shouldn't I be able to remove the computer completely from the equation and still be able to use things like the Wii for Netflix and use the wireless on the phones or do I not understand correctly?

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
In answer to my own question, teh googler tells me the computer is irrelevant to the existence of my network post setup. Since I've eliminated both router and modem as causes, I guess it's time to call Comcast back and tell them they are full of ****.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Same thing happened to me a couple years ago, turns out the wireless router went bad. Could connect to the network, but no internet access, wired or wireless. Bought a new router and it's been fine since.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
In answer to my own question, teh googler tells me the computer is irrelevant to the existence of my network post setup. Since I've eliminated both router and modem as causes, I guess it's time to call Comcast back and tell them they are full of ****.
I'm not sure you have eliminated the modem. With Comcast a new modem needs to be activated before it will work. (I am not sure how this actually works but you can't just plug in a different modem.)

Tell Comcast you aren't paying 70 f'n dollars a month to not have internet. They will send out a tech who will tell you your modem is like 15 generations old. I've been through this several times and it has yet to cost me an extra cent.

Edit: Also shake fist in the air because you can't get Fios or Google fiber.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I'm not sure you have eliminated the modem. With Comcast a new modem needs to be activated before it will work. (I am not sure how this actually works but you can't just plug in a different modem.)

Tell Comcast you aren't paying 70 f'n dollars a month to not have internet. They will send out a tech who will tell you your modem is like 15 generations old. I've been through this several times and it has yet to cost me an extra cent.

Edit: Also shake fist in the air because you can't get Fios or Google fiber.
I can't say you aren't correct on this, however, that ship has sailed. I pre-emptivly called called qwest (or whatever th fvck they are calling themselves now) and switched. We'll have tv service for the first time in years, high speed interwebz, and still save 20+ bucks a month. Fvck Comcast.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Holy balls! You want to get a hold of a live person right fvcking now at Comcast? Choose the options to cancel service. If technical support was that fast I might still be a customer.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Holy balls! You want to get a hold of a live person right fvcking now at Comcast? Choose the options to cancel service. If technical support was that fast I might still be a customer.
when we had comcast in NJ we learned how to work it. sign up for service on whatever bonus package they are running at the given time. when the bonus expires, call and act like you want to cancel, then they'll offer you another bonus (typically identical to the one you had).

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
when we had comcast in NJ we learned how to work it. sign up for service on whatever bonus package they are running at the given time. when the bonus expires, call and act like you want to cancel, then they'll offer you another bonus (typically identical to the one you had).
The qwest lady actually told me to do just that when my year is up with them. Comcast tried to cut me a break too, but quite frankly my issues with Comcast go beyond simple pricing shell games.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The qwest lady actually told me to do just that when my year is up with them. Comcast tried to cut me a break too, but quite frankly my issues with Comcast go beyond simple pricing shell games.
Make sure you get a receipt when you return the equipment and that they have your account closed in good standing. They are know to screw things up and may even ding your credit report if they have an error that your account was closed and there was a balance or equipment not returned.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
My D-Link modem thingy goes bonkers every now and again and for some reason you either have to reinstall the firmware or go through the setup as if you are installing the modem for the first time.

Had the provider people telling me they could see the modem but I had nothing at my end, will not get a D-Link modem again.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
My D-Link modem thingy goes bonkers every now and again and for some reason you either have to reinstall the firmware or go through the setup as if you are installing the modem for the first time.

Had the provider people telling me they could see the modem but I had nothing at my end, will not get a D-Link modem again.
Quality for consumer routers varies tremendously even within brands depending on firmware, hardware revision, third party support etc. The D-Link DIR-655 is actually one of the better consumer routers - its more of a budget model these days though.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I can't say you aren't correct on this, however, that ship has sailed. I pre-emptivly called called qwest (or whatever th fvck they are calling themselves now) and switched. We'll have tv service for the first time in years, high speed interwebz, and still save 20+ bucks a month. Fvck Comcast.
Hahahaha. I did this *exact* same thing due to a very similar issue.

Except I dumped CenturyLink and went to Comcast. Comcast service is WAY faster. And $30/mo.

Fvck CenturyLink.

:D

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Hahahaha. I did this *exact* same thing due to a very similar issue.

Except I dumped CenturyLink and went to Comcast. Comcast service is WAY faster. And $30/mo.

Fvck CenturyLink.

:D
i've been on both sides of this in only this past year, and can attest for him, century link is the better option (up to 40m in his area)

for me, the hinterland only has comcast as a viable option, but i see the qwest army deploying new fibre almost every day...maybe this time next year i'll return to my vomit?