Quantcast

Hampton Super Track

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Has anyone around Hampton Roads ridden this place? I was thinking it would be a good place to get some conditioning in before 4x season gets going.

Let me know if anyone has a line on this place. I am all about using BMX places to get the sprint back in shape for the season, but not if its going to be some crap with angry dads, white trash kids, fat toothless momma's, all that.

http://hamptonsupertrack.com/
Check out the link, see if it something you'd want to go session. Training works better if you have someone to race with...

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
We hit that place when we are in the area visiting. It's usually a little rutted up between races. The wind can play havoc if it's breezy. More so on that track then most.
I ride it on my slalom bike and the first 2 straights are good. The last jump on the 2nd straight didn't flow well if I remember correctly.

3rd and 4th straights are kinda tight on an MTB.
It's good practice, you can hit the first step up out of the gate on an MTB.
Some tracks are sketchy about letting MTBs on at gates and races even though the NBL specifically allows them. And of course you will need a license if you want to use the track during gates and races, otherwise it's open to the public.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Thanks Peete. I was reading the website, I guess they have rebuilt the track in the last year or so, but it also sounds like they are having issues with people riding when its wet, and rutting it all up to hell.

None the less, it would be nice to get some practice in, especially in the wind. The Sea Otter 4x is always windy, so this is like endurance training.

I am not much for racing in the BMX scene, I did it for a couple years as a kid, just too white trash for my blood. Wouldn't mind training there though.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
I've never ridden there. I went to the site to look at the photo's and every photo was the exact same shot head on the same hit. Gives you absolutely no idea what to expect. Let us know what you think if you end up checking it out.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Tattooo said:
Thanks Peete. I was reading the website, I guess they have rebuilt the track in the last year or so, but it also sounds like they are having issues with people riding when its wet, and rutting it all up to hell.

None the less, it would be nice to get some practice in, especially in the wind. The Sea Otter 4x is always windy, so this is like endurance training.

I am not much for racing in the BMX scene, I did it for a couple years as a kid, just too white trash for my blood. Wouldn't mind training there though.
Bwahaha! My kids have been racing BMX for 8 years. My oldest is the only one still doing it. You haven't seen white trash until you go down to a race in Florida.:oink:

I envy you for going to S.O.:drool: We went last year and had a blast in spite of the mtnx track sucking ass. Race the DS also, it was incredible fun last year. I'm sure this years mtnx track will be off the hook to make up for last year.
It was a little breezy at SO but you don't notice it since you are going down hill. Bring cold and hot weather clothes and bring them to the venue. The weather changes often. And if you are going to watch the pros race saturday bring plenty of beer. We had a nice beer bottle garden beside the DS course when the pros finished.:evil:

As for the track getting ridden when wet, any track that isn't locked up gets abused. Ours does even though there is a big sign that says stay off when wet. I guess that's open to interpretation.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I have been at the Otter for the last five years, just missing last year due to school stuff. The MTX is always kinda weak, they either dumb it down or they build it just stupid. The first year I raced the 4x was 3 years back, and the second take off was 7' to flat, which since I was on a 24" hard tail kinda sucked.

I used to race BMX in interesting places like Fallon, NV and Pocatello, ID. I know what you mean about the WT vibe. The place I raced and trained in Reno was so gnar gnar that you could smell the meth coming off the parents during the summer. Always a good time.

I am going to go roll that place on Tuesday while the wife is working, see what there is to see there. I will post a report.

Sir Knight, want to roll out on Tuesday to see what's what? Be a good place to learn your jumps and to get your sprints dialed.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I think we get Sir Knight, Sir Crackien and my fat ass and head over Tuesday and see what the score looks like