Quantcast

Hamster wheel blueprints

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
I few years back I heard rumors that the blue print to the hamster wheel from a new world disorder video was available on line. Back then I didn't have a mind/place to attempt building one, but I've recently come across some privately owned land that would be the perfect place to give it a go. Has anyone seen it? Where can it be found? I can die a happy man once I've built and conquered that stunt.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
haha yeah i know, that would be a cool stunt to accomplish, but some pics up once you have. to answer your question i am not sure have you tried www.google.com and googaling it. i would like to try it as well so maybe you can tell us where it is once oyur done building it haha jkjk, i sure you don't want a lot of people around that land.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
think its from new world disorder 3 if that helps, I'm workin on the blueprints but I need to register and be approved by an admin into the site its on, so I'll see how that goes.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
so might getting up in the morning. just start building, and go for it. maybe study the pics a bit but deffenitly get on it... and post pics once you get.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
I already know how to steam the wood and shape the radius', and since I work in a machine shop making the axles doesnt pose much of a problem. The only thing thats throwing me is the locking mechanism

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
it's a block of wood that sticks out on the entrance and exit that hits the bridges on eather side. you got most of the hard parts solved from your skills. the thing i can't get is the return mech. if it's a weight then the entrance has to be higher then the exit, unless you stagger he weights. or you could use an elastic, but longevity would be an issue. build a model of it with tounge depressers things and tooth picks and test stuff out. train a rat to ride it on a teck deck.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
If you use elastic or weights wont it be hard to pedal enough to move it? I think a trip to get some balsa wood and make a model is in my near future

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
It must be built. Failure is not an option. I dont see any visiable counter weight's so I'm wondering if its made out of round so that the weight of the structure will bring it back.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i'm constantly amazed by the ingenuity of trail builders. i haven't seen the hamster wheel in the flesh, but i did ride a cool triple stacking teeter -totter near nelson. amazingly well built & intimidating to look at (wish i had pictures), but functioned well. i've seen a couple cool pivoting teeters as well. and a long cable-supported suspension bridge. (dangerous) dan was talking about building an elevator with self-returning counterweights; i don't think that ever got anywhere though. any other interesting "mechanical" trail features spotted out there?

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
also note they dont have a thru axle on this one, which would mean we could build a smaller diameter one and it would still be rideable. Also the roundbar would probably be easier and stronger, although not nearly as cool looking.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
The Amish said:
It must be built. Failure is not an option. I dont see any visiable counter weight's so I'm wondering if its made out of round so that the weight of the structure will bring it back.
if it's out of round it would be hard it line it up with the entrance and exit. the smaller you make it the more of a chalenge it would be. make it like 8-10 feet in diamiter so it's more of a arc. that would also make useing weights to return it easy.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Its a no go on those blueprints I thought I found Amish. The board was for some chicago freeriders, and when I dug up the old post they all ragged on how it was a lame idea. Oh well, if you really want to do it we will make it work.

LIPS

Chimp
Jul 19, 2005
Portland
Just an idea, but if you use a smaller version of an overhead garage door spring it might do the trick. That way you can keep your radius constant as well as the weight around the perimeter. You need a spring that will make one full revelution around the axle without becoming to stiff at the end. Which shouldn't be much of an issue concidering the leverage that the riding diameter will have over the spring. The spring should have virtually no tention on it at rest, and when wound up one revolution have enough force to return to the start.http://www.engineersedge.com/spring_torsion_calc.htm :thumb:

LIPS

Chimp
Jul 19, 2005
Portland
spacemanspiff06 said:
if it's out of round it would be hard it line it up with the entrance and exit. the smaller you make it the more of a chalenge it would be. make it like 8-10 feet in diamiter so it's more of a arc. that would also make useing weights to return it easy.
It's going to need to be at least 12' in dia. or the axle is going to rub on your helmet :D unless you're really short.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
I like your spring idea that sounds like it would get the job done. BTW I was thinkin minimum 12'-14'. If not for head clearance then just to be huge. Im gonna start working on some scale models. Ill keep you all up to date on how it goes. If I ever figure it out I'll post the design. Any other suggestions are of course welcome.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
GumbaFish if ou make a model make it out of bass wood. it much stronger and more flexible. also if you do make it you most post pictures of it. also most places that have bass wood will also have many dimenional tubes/rods and so on made out of metal

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i know the one in the video is a self returning. i think it was like a rope tied just bolow the enterance of the wheel that was connected to a peice on wood that brought the wheel back around

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
Sir_Crackien said:
i know the one in the video is a self returning. i think it was like a rope tied just bolow the enterance of the wheel that was connected to a peice on wood that brought the wheel back around

perhaps rope attached to aweight with a pulley system,, or some type of wooden or metal lever that you could load up like a bow and arrow to get the wheel to return.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Hey thanks those extra pics will be helpful for sure. It needs to be self returning that is for sure. I should make a model in a while, its just a matter of either finding a craft store here in syracuse or waiting a couple of weeks when I go home to get the supplies and make it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
GumbaFish said:
Hey thanks those extra pics will be helpful for sure. It needs to be self returning that is for sure. I should make a model in a while, its just a matter of either finding a craft store here in syracuse or waiting a couple of weeks when I go home to get the supplies and make it.
Your going to make a miniature giant hamster wheel?:think:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MMike said:
Or a bag of sand on a rope that winds up as the wheel spins. The weight would unwind it.
Have a drawbridge type teeter after the wheel than when weighted down and lowered pulls a rope that rewinds the wheel.

Or even better, have a balloon that the rider runs over and pops that scares a goat that runs away and pulls a rope that pulls a lever that opens a valve that drops water into a bucket that is tied to the wheel that returns it.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Also we could just pay a midget to move the wheel back.
And yes I am going to make a miniature giant hamster wheel, to make sure it works...if not I'll sell it at a craft fair to somebody who wants a custom hamster wheel, the idea will take off and I will parlay it into a career of making wooded miniature giant hamster wheels.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
GumbaFish said:
Also we could just pay a midget to move the wheel back.
And yes I am going to make a miniature giant hamster wheel, to make sure it works...if not I'll sell it at a craft fair to somebody who wants a custom hamster wheel, the idea will take off and I will parlay it into a career of making wooded miniature giant hamster wheels.
Make sure you get a really big midget.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
Westy said:
Have a drawbridge type teeter after the wheel than when weighted down and lowered pulls a rope that rewinds the wheel.

the drawbridge sounds cool.. going throuhg the wheel pulls up the bridge,, dropping the bridge returns the wheel

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
A steel frame sounds easier. Just tack it together, make sure its right , put nice beads on everything, then put wood on it.

THats crazy; I don't get it - how the hell do you enter it?

These mechanical things sound cool- an elevator would be so cool (no more hills needed for drops)

LIPS

Chimp
Jul 19, 2005
Portland
STOP STOP my stomach hurts. After the day I had I needed these tidbits. Especially the balloon and goat! This is why I love mountainbiking.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
if you build that i will have to find it and ride it

that looks fun, i would probably fail after one attempt and quit, but it still looks fun