Quantcast

hand pain after road riding

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
about a day after riding my road bike, i get pain in my left wrist (only, right one is fine). the pain seems to reside in my wrist and lower bone in my hand (carpal bone which is toward the bottom of my palm - if you were to try to do a karate chop, that's the one).

if i take a bunch of advil or tylenol, it goes away, but it's annoying to have this happen after pretty much every ride. it's not sore on the ride, mainly the day after.

any thoughts on setup?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Where do you spend most of you time? On the hoods? In the drops? Do you wear gloves? Are those Campy brake/shifters? I'm not all that familiar with the ergonomics of Campy, but the postion of them looks good to me. I know my hands get a lot more sore when I'm in the drops a lot.

Chris C

Chimp
Jul 30, 2006
Sturbridge, MA
I am the furthest from an expert on cycling, but really saw a difference when I started wearing gloves several years back. I wasn't riding a Road Bike back then, but definately experienced less fatigue and a better grip.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
narlus said:
any thoughts on setup?
Shorter stem. Raise handlebars.

Double wrap your bars -- I have a layer of cloth tape under Cinelli cork -- just gives a little thicker grip.

I always try to move my hands to the flats when climbing or on a empty road.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Wumpus said:
Double wrap your bars -- I have a layer of cloth tape under Cinelli cork -- just gives a little thicker grip.
I also started to double wrap my bar now. I use two layers of Deda foam grip tape and reinforce the bar end plug area w/ this special tape called ShurTape (it's like a canvas version of the duct tape, very nice stuff).

Also, when I set up my brifters, I angle them in a bit. Neutral hand/wrist position as you hold your arm out in front of you has a bit of inward angulation. I tried setting my brifters straight, but it put a strain on my wrist (I have some repetitive task syndrome issues from my Alaska cannery worker days). Angling them in took away that strain. I'm on my hood and flats 95% of the time and only drop into the hooks when I go down hill or in a strong head wind.