Quantcast

Handguns

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
Went to the range today and rented a Springfield XD 9mm... Shot it well, had a pretty nice grouping at 7yds. Started pulling low and left at 15 yds, but still consistent. So over did well.. Only my 2nd shooting a handgun. Still interesting in shooting the Glock.

The W might go to the Springfield because of the 2 safety's. The trigger safety on the Glock doens't stand for much, and i would like to keep my limbs.

Yeah people get saved all the time by civilians with guns:crazy:...now I'm not anti gun but if that's your only reason then you need to re-think it...D
Just because you don't hear about it don't mean it doesn't happen.

Media in america is historically bias when it comes to covering stories where people defended them-self's with firearms and came away the victors.

You are correct... rental price is not any kind of indicator of the suckage. I am referring to the quality of the weapon you rent vs a weapon that you own and paid hundreds of dollars for. Most gun shops/ranges used inventory is used and abused (at least here in LA and Vegas).

If you want to go out and buy a new truck are you going to test drive new ones to find out which one you like or used ones that have been working out on a construction site for years?

Renting a used and abused piece of equipment will give you a poor indication of performance and quality.
True. Add also that most(90%) of ranges rent guns with "their" ammo they loaded in the back. Granted rolling your own is easy to do and financially smart, some ranges dont care if you have to "tap, rack and pull" once, twice or three times a mag. Then the renter is turned off to a particular weapon because of the malfunctions he/she encountered during firing.

Went to the range today and rented a Springfield XD 9mm... Shot it well, had a pretty nice grouping at 7yds. Started pulling low and left at 15 yds, but still consistent. So over did well.. Only my 2nd shooting a handgun. Still interesting in shooting the Glock.

The W might go to the Springfield because of the 2 safety's. The trigger safety on the Glock doens't stand for much, and i would like to keep my limbs.
Glock set the standards when it comes to internal safety mechanisms. If you understand how they work there is no way a Glock can have a AD if you keep your finger off the trigger. The grip safety on the springy was taken from the 1911 series of pistols and there are people that say they wont carry a 1911 for the same reasons you stated.

Autoloaders are cool and I love them just as much as anyone but don't overlook wheel guns, just as deadly and can be reloaded and shot just a butt hair slower then auto's. My 2cents.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Who is teaching you to shoot?

Anyone who thinks you require a manual external safety on a handgun is teaching handguns incorrectly. Period, end of story. A Glock is just as, or more, safe as any other handgun. Use a quality holster and follow the 4 safety rules.

Learn to keep the booger hook off the bang switch.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Autoloaders are cool and I love them just as much as anyone but don't overlook wheel guns, just as deadly and can be reloaded and shot just a butt hair slower then auto's. My 2cents.
I also wouldn't recommend a revolver except as a fun shooter or backup snubby, unless you're looking for a .44 or larger to pack in the wilderness.

Reloading a revolver takes several more movements, even with a speedloader, and requires you to fit little things into little holes. This can be done reasonably quickly on a range. It's not going to be done quickly or, more importantly, reliably, under combat stress.

I love shooting revolvers. But telling someone to use one as a fighting gun instead of an auto is bad advice in lieu of some other mitigating factor (none of which readily spring to mind, but they might exist...perhaps a disability preventing someone from racking the slide...)

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
Who is teaching you to shoot?

Anyone who thinks you require a manual external safety on a handgun is teaching handguns incorrectly. Period, end of story. A Glock is just as, or more, safe as any other handgun. Use a quality holster and follow the 4 safety rules.

Learn to keep the booger hook off the bang switch.
Haha! thats funny.

No one is really "teaching" me yet. But the gun shop guy said in his personal opinion he'd recommend the Springfield over the Glock due to that reason. I haven't shot the Glock yet. But after shooting the springfield and thinkin about it, the grip safety is almost... pointless because i would think when you draw the weapon its more than likely engaged... But ive never drawn from a holster, so i guess my opinion isnt really relevant. I was looking at the '08 XD's... they have a third safety(a thumb safety)...i think thats overboard

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Grip safeties are even dumber than thumb safeties.

If you're in a real fight you may not establish that perfect grip--let's say you're fighting off someone with a knife and your hand is cut and bloodied. Or let's say you have to crossdraw with your off-hand.

Grips safety could kill you.

Get a Glock. Or a SIG (my personal pref, but not a great value). Maybe the S&W M&P.

Edit: Wait, I forgot you were headed to a police academy. Don't buy a gun--let them teach you on their gear with their standards and methods. Please. As someone who was certified to train shooters and run ranges for the military and law enforcement, please don't.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
a glock will ONLY fire when you depress the trigger, not much safer than that. external safety's are unnecessary unless you're using the gun strictly for range practice. if you're carrying a handgun for personal protection then it better be loaded and ready to shoot because in that split second when your brain goes from la-de-da to i'm about to die, you don't really want any fine motor skills to get in the way of your body's natural reaction to flinch and push away danger....while pulling the trigger.

go play a game of close quarters paintball or airsoft and you'll see what i mean. even when you're in a perfect low ready shooting position you're body will still flinch and you will punch out at the threat if it surprises you. your mind just doesn't have time to think about taking the safety off.

I also wouldn't recommend a revolver except as a fun shooter or backup snubby, unless you're looking for a .44 or larger to pack in the wilderness.

Reloading a revolver takes several more movements, even with a speedloader, and requires you to fit little things into little holes. This can be done reasonably quickly on a range. It's not going to be done quickly or, more importantly, reliably, under combat stress.

I love shooting revolvers. But telling someone to use one as a fighting gun instead of an auto is bad advice in lieu of some other mitigating factor (none of which readily spring to mind, but they might exist...perhaps a disability preventing someone from racking the slide...)
Stuck in that new school mentality. Hows talking about speed loaders, Moon Clips Baby!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Nope, stuck in reality, that's all. Nothing to do with a mentality.

I was talking about using speedloaders. Still takes quite a few movements to do--most of them fine motor skills, not gross movements. Doing it efficiently even requires shifting the weapon between your hands. It can't be done one-handed under any circumstance.

I can reload my semiauto with either hand alone and my holster if need be...and with both hands, I can do it in a split second with a minimum of movement, even at a sprint.

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
a glock will ONLY fire when you depress the trigger, not much safer than that. external safety's are unnecessary unless you're using the gun strictly for range practice. if you're carrying a handgun for personal protection then it better be loaded and ready to shoot because in that split second when your brain goes from la-de-da to i'm about to die, you don't really want any fine motor skills to get in the way of your body's natural reaction to flinch and push away danger....while pulling the trigger.

go play a game of close quarters paintball or airsoft and you'll see what i mean. even when you're in a perfect low ready shooting position you're body will still flinch and you will punch out at the threat if it surprises you. your mind just doesn't have time to think about taking the safety off.

Awesome view point! Your opinion was the one I was waiting for. I know most departments carry Glocks now-a-days anyways so that's what I'm leaning towards. Just gotta save up $500 dollars... On a broke college kids wages. :happydance:

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
I own and use a Glock on duty, own a XD and H& K, the Glocks are a .40(duty) and 9mm, the XD is a 9mm(Competition only, had a trigger job and refined along with slide work), and the H&K is a .45 and my Carry gun . I enjoy all of them and it is a personal thing, you need to fire all of your choices to see what you like.

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
I own and use a Glock on duty, own a XD and H& K, the Glocks are a .40(duty) and 9mm, the XD is a 9mm(Competition only, had a trigger job and refined along with slide work), and the H&K is a .45 and my Carry gun . I enjoy all of them and it is a personal thing, you need to fire all of your choices to see what you like.
Yea, I plan to fire all of my choices first. H&K was an idea brought up by the gun shop dude, but that price tag is a little out of my league.

What do you prefer with your glocks, the .40 or the 9mm?

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
Glock has a direct purchase program for LEOs, wait until you make it out of the academy and you'll get them much cheaper...

For the sake of yourself and your FTU, learn to shoot at the academy. While most current police shooting programs aren't grounded in reality, they still train you to the standard you are expected to perform at in your qualifications. I went into the Sheriff's Academy assuming that the military taught me how shoot. My TIs quickly re-aquainted me with the front leaning rest position.

Save yourself the hassle. Unlearning everything you learned at the academy is something that every officer must go through, but you need to pass the academy first.