Quantcast

Handguns

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
So not too sure this is the place for handgun opinions, but I've seen a few gun posts so I thought I'd do the same..

I'm looking into gettin a handgun this summer for the sake of personal protection and practicing with a weapon before Im required to do so in police academy.. Anyways... Any of you monkey's out there have any recommendations as to what to get.. I was eyeing the Glock .40.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Plenty of handgun opinions here. You'll see some of my fellow liberals are very afraid of guns and think good people shouldn't have them, because if good people can't get them, bad people won't get them either.

I actually bought a colt 40 years ago. Don't even think they make them anymore. Actually, I'm not really a gun person, but I do advocate the right. You need to ask someone who you trust that will take the time to visit a gun shop w/you. Once you pick some up and handle them, one should stand out.

Don't let the gun haters limit your posting. There is a lot of knowledge here on RM. We all can't live in a utopian middle class society w/no poor, low crime and good healthcare. Some of us live outside US Metropolitan areas.

Sideway

Chimp
Apr 22, 2008
Which Glock are you referring to? the ".40" is simply the caliber (40 S&W), and there are several Glocks offered for that round. The first thing I would suggest is finding out if the department(s) you want to work for have any requirements/specifications about duty guns, or if the academy does.

If you are free to choose whichever you want, the next step would be finding a shop that offers basic safety classes and rents guns. See what you shoot well with. Alternatively, you could wait until you enter the academy and see what they suggest.

About Glocks themselves; they are relatively inexpensive, reliable guns. I do not like them much, but its completely a personal preference, and many people love them.

And about the .40 S&W round; it is quite a snappy round, but might be a bit more than you need depending on where you a serving. If the department subsidizes your ammo expenses, its not much of a problem, but if you have to pay for your own rounds it might be a little expensive. That said, if you think you might have to serve in an area with a high level of violent crime, you might want a more powerful round, but else you might want something a bit smaller like 9mm. There is also a level of personal preference when it comes to picking the caliber. Renting some different models and seeing what you like is advisable here as well.

Hope that helps!

Everyone has something to say about asking about guns. But when you run into the one in a billion chance that you're at the mall with your wife and kids and some psyco is on a rampage like we all see on the news all of the time, you may think differently. Everyone is running and screaming because no-one is carrying and then someone like me ends the retards existince, then you'll learn to thank the citizens that carry consealed because instead of the head line reading "15 killed in rampage" It'll say "unlikely hero saves untold lives". Every one is so quick to hate on something that isn't wholesome. I hope no-one ever has to experience something like that but more and more often that's what's happening.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Everyone has something to say about asking about guns. But when you run into the one in a billion chance that you're at the mall with your wife and kids and some psyco is on a rampage like we all see on the news all of the time, you may think differently. Everyone is running and screaming because no-one is carrying and then someone like me ends the retards existince, then you'll learn to thank the citizens that carry consealed because instead of the head line reading "15 killed in rampage" It'll say "unlikely hero saves untold lives". Every one is so quick to hate on something that isn't wholesome. I hope no-one ever has to experience something like that but more and more often that's what's happening.
Yeah people get saved all the time by civilians with guns:crazy:...now I'm not anti gun but if that's your only reason then you need to re-think it...D

Sideway

Chimp
Apr 22, 2008
Yeah people get saved all the time by civilians with guns:crazy:...now I'm not anti gun but if that's your only reason then you need to re-think it...D
more than once a day here in the US, and that doesn't count cops =D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Umm.. he asked for opinions on what hand gun to get, not for a political discussion on gun control.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I can get tighter groups with a 9mm vs. a bigger caliber(.45)
Go shoot some guns at the range,most ranges have rental guns.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I agree with the advice to shoot rental guns at the range before deciding to buy. Personally, I love Glocks and own both a 9mm and 10mm full sized...but I have big hands. Once you find a quality weapon that fits nicely and that you can point "instinctively", controlling and grouping well, you can always fine-tune the grips with aftermarkets like Hogue or Pachmeyer. If it were me, though, I'd probably go with a .45ACP. You don't have to put 230gr +P through it if you are that worried about recoil...just use lighter, less pressurized rounds.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Glock Model 22. .40 caliber pistol with decent accuracy, accepted for use with most all law enforcement agencies. ANd when talking to a couple law enforcement friends, its pretty Deputy proof

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
If you are going to a police academy then I would chechk out Glock .40, Sig .40 and springfield XD .40. Most law enforcment use .40 cal so you need to get use to it ,but for CC a 9MM would be fine ( I use a H & K USP Compact.45 it is a bit $$$$)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
You can't go wrong with the Glock for dependability and accuracy but if you're looking for sex appeal go with a 1911 model.
you need to focus more on a gun that fits comfortably rather than "shoots tight groups" because any meat-head can put rounds close together on a piece of paper but in a real life/death shooting, you want something that you can get out of the holster, point and shoot faster than the bad guy. shooting a tight group on a live subject is actually not the best thing or realistic....if your goal is to "stop the threat", which works better: 2-3 holes in the same place or 2-3 holes spread out over more vital areas?

are there any departments out there that DON'T issue sidearms these days? i've never heard of a department that doesn't provide the weapon AND ammunition. heck, we get 100rds of .40 and 50 of .223/shotgun every payday for practice at the range.

sinkemlow

Chimp
Apr 23, 2008
Millsboro, DE
I currently own, and have carried Glocks, HKs, Walthers, and Smiths. But it seems every time I walk out the front door lately I have a Taurus Model 85 Ultralite stainless in my front pocket loaded with .38 +P HPs. Used to be mainly a summer gun, but it's so comfortable to carry, I use it year round. Beyond that, the Glock 19 was second in line. With today's modern ammo(do some research), I don't feel undergunned with 9mm and .38s. Not a huge fan of the .40, though I've owned quite a few over the years. Also, if you're looking for comfort, check out Kel-Tec.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Don't buy anything. Let your department issue you a gun, ammo, and train you on it.

You'll learn from them the way they want you to learn it on the gear they require to use. Having trained people in the military and having been trained by several civilian agencies, I can attest to the fact that going in as a blank slate will make your learning experience better. From there, if you want/need another gun for another purpose (off-duty carry, whatever), get it.

That said, the Glock 19 is the best value ever in a handgun; the best quality for the lowest price. Stick with 9mm so you can get more ammo to train with, and believe no Internet stud who claims his .45 or .40 will knock someone down or cause some huge deathy wound or whatever. They're pistols. Shot placement and repetition are what count.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I've got the 4 versions of the Glock in .40.

The 27 and the 23 tend to beat you up more then the 22 or the 35. However, for CC the 23 by a lot of real hard core gun folk I run into is considered the end all be all of CC guns.

I put the Haarts system in all of my guns, which unfortunately they are no longer making due to the risks of welding around mercury. However, for fast, triple tap, on target tight groups, a good SS or Tungsten rod with a different weight spring is almost an essential.

Check with the department, that's a good place to start. All of my buddies in Parole carry the 23's, all of my friends at the PD carry the 22.

And don't forget your back up weapon. Snubbie .357 is the way to go, hammerless, with only a ramp sight. Never know when it might save your ass.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Best advice I can give.

Ask what makes/models/calibers your future department authorizes as a service weapon. Then test the compact version. I'm sure either your instructor or one of the officers in that department is willing to share their recommendations or even let you test fire it.

Most modern handguns will do what you want them to do, but it's just like buying a bike.... you get what you pay for.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
believe no Internet stud who claims his .45 or .40 will knock someone down or cause some huge deathy wound or whatever. They're pistols. Shot placement and repetition are what count.
:clap: very well said mike. there is a huge overhead sign at the HK cqb training facility that says, "Bullets Don't Work"

it's all about, "did i hit it...did it work."

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
are there any departments out there that DON'T issue sidearms these days? i've never heard of a department that doesn't provide the weapon AND ammunition. heck, we get 100rds of .40 and 50 of .223/shotgun every payday for practice at the range.
A friend of mine joined the NYC police dept (guarding reservoirs in upstate NY, ha!), and although he was issued a sidearm, he was encouraged to purchase his own backup, so it seems that this could come in useful even after he joins the academy. I'd definitely go with whatever caliber gun he'll be issued, as 100 free rounds/day for target practice sounds a heck of a lot better than paying for it yourself. :monkeydance:

evomo

Chimp
Apr 14, 2008
Los Angeles
I have shot with the Walther P99 and the springfield XD- both are nice and solid, but its quite interesting how different each feels and aims. I tend to go with the XD.

You really need to go to a range and try different guns... and not the ****ty $10 rentals - they suck.

evomo

Chimp
Apr 14, 2008
Los Angeles
You are correct... rental price is not any kind of indicator of the suckage. I am referring to the quality of the weapon you rent vs a weapon that you own and paid hundreds of dollars for. Most gun shops/ranges used inventory is used and abused (at least here in LA and Vegas).

If you want to go out and buy a new truck are you going to test drive new ones to find out which one you like or used ones that have been working out on a construction site for years?

Renting a used and abused piece of equipment will give you a poor indication of performance and quality.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Renting a used and abused piece of equipment will give you a poor indication of performance and quality.
Maybe. But I can't afford to buy some of the guns I have been able to rent.

As far as hitting paper targets is concerned. A tight group is the only gauge I get to measure myself. For the most part its the only opportunity I get to shoot. And its wicked fun. I think it makes me a better shooter then the average Joe. I really do think I am better prepared then the average criminal/wrongdoer. Hey maybe I am wrong. Lets hope I never have to find that out....

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Maybe. But I can't afford to buy some of the guns I have been able to rent.

As far as hitting paper targets is concerned. A tight group is the only gauge I get to measure myself. For the most part its the only opportunity I get to shoot. And its wicked fun. I think it makes me a better shooter then the average Joe. I really do think I am better prepared then the average criminal/wrongdoer. Hey maybe I am wrong. Lets hope I never have to find that out....
I agree. It's a rental gun. So what does it matter if it's used or abused. All one looks for when renting a weapon is if you're comfortable shooting it and would possibly like to buy it. One usually rents those guns with the knowledge that it's either super dirty, been abused in one way or another, but most likely both. On another note, both of my sigs have shot 1000's upon 1000's of rounds over the past 10 years. They've only gotten better with age... just like me. :D