Quantcast

Handlebar/Hand problems

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
This is a totally new problem to me. On my DH9 (and only the dh9) i have alot of pain riding in my palms, It starts ok and gets progressively worse, i can ALMOST get a full run out of it (at diablo!) Ill take it out, get 1/3 of the way down, have to take a break, than 500 feet 250 feet, 125, and so on. I ask on here, because it has the exact same set up as all of my bikes have. Sunline bars/stem, 2009+ fox 40, saint brakes, ODI grips. The same setup on my jedi will last me from 10-4 riding all the time, but i have yet to get a run out of my dh9. I test/tweak it by my house, and so far i tried rotating the bars backwards a little bit more, and switching the shifter/derailur. I also backed off all compression off my 40 since i figured mayb it was too "stiff". Any and all ideas appreciated.

*the RIGHT saint blade is bend slightly outwards, but i have moved it in to compensate, i do NOT think this is the problem, because it hurts my left hand as well.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Wider grips helped me. Its strange as I had the same grip width on my previous ride but on the new one with ruffians it felt horrible.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Sorry I ment thick/thin. Im not sure, rougues are pretty big. Do you have really big hands? If not I doubt it will help. Maybe you just feel less confident on the dh9 and deathgrip it?

Also - backing the damping all the way may not be the best idea. More damped ride may help. Im guesing now but maybe the rebound is setup a bit fast.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Sorry I ment thick/thin. Im not sure, rougues are pretty big. Do you have really big hands? If not I doubt it will help. Maybe you just feel less confident on the dh9 and deathgrip it?

Also - backing the damping all the way may not be the best idea. More damped ride may help. Im guesing now but maybe the rebound is setup a bit fast.
i feel more confident on that bike by a TON, more travel, bigger wheel base, softer ride, LOVE IT! i was debating the death grip, but i dont exactly think so, (based on) that i went to a mega easy trail that i really enjoy, rebound is a tad fast, but (imo) nowhere near problematic

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
I had a similar problem on the fast and rough tracks in the Alps, as well Fort William at home. At first I thought it was some sort of arthritis type pain in my knuckles, but I now think it's the tendon between my knuckles and the first finger joint. It's only on really rough tracks that it happens, it's fine on slower techy stuff in the woods. I think I'm maybe putting too much weight on my hands/onto the bars. Like I think a lot of people did, I made a bit of a conscious effort a while ago to get my weight further forward. While it works great in some situations, I think I've realised now that on rough sections it's often better to stay in the middle of the bike and let the bike skip about with less pressure on the bars. The reason I'm saying all this is that maybe the geometry of the bike that's giving you trouble puts you in a more forward position, and you might have to adapt your riding style between bikes. Perhaps rolling bars or trying different stems might help compensate as well. Just my 2p.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
That was your bike I saw it on the roof of a car and was like WTF???? Do I dare ask why?
minimum 9 inches of seatpost height to clear the tire, i cant ride the damn bike because i get smacked in the ass every time i hit a bump.

I dont sit down, so i dont really need the seat except to save my nuts if i loose the pedals.

this is the bar setup

currently has a sunline stem and the fork dropped to minimum to steepen the head angle, so it is the same height.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'd try rotating the bars forward. I need some upsweep to keep my hands happy.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
wouldnt that move the pain from my palms to my wrists?
Doubt it. I run things pretty far forward, and both my hands and wrists like that better. YMMV obviously, but I'd give it a shot at least.

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
I have fiddle with my bar's to get them perfect. It's seems a very small amount of rotation is the difference of pain or discomfort me in both hands and wrists.

I have med-large hands and ride the rouges, the ruffians are more awkward/painfull for my long-term grip.

Cockpits are a lot of personal preference and it takes trial and error to get it dialed. I'd suggest to keep fiddling till you get it right.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Maybe Demo9 needs to change what lube (oops i mean handcream) hes using?
Seriously it has to be down to a difference in riding position between bikes if everything else is the same....

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
minimum 9 inches of seatpost height to clear the tire, i cant ride the damn bike because i get smacked in the ass every time i hit a bump.

I dont sit down, so i dont really need the seat except to save my nuts if i loose the pedals.
This needs a "You're doing it wrong" caption. Not sure if you race, but does this even pass UCI/USAC muster?

I want to give you MacGyver points, but I think those are nullified by the ridiculousness of riding a bike that's too large for you.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
This needs a "You're doing it wrong" caption. Not sure if you race, but does this even pass UCI/USAC muster?

I want to give you MacGyver points, but I think those are nullified by the ridiculousness of riding a bike that's too large for you.
Never tried to enter a USAC race, but it isnt the frame thats too big for me, its the seatpost clearence, even a small needs a minimum 9 inches of post to clear the tire. Its only a medium, and everything is fine, except that you cannot run a seat at a normal height! I plan on attempting a different fork today, to see what happens with that. It doesnt help that i dont sit down nor ride seats high up on any of my other bikes, it only gets in the way.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Some numbers for you guys
(from middle of bb to top of seat)
demo 9 -19
jedi-18
banshee-18
dj bike is too low to sit at all, full out scooter

dh 9 has to be 25 inches to work, idk about anybody else, but i cant ride that, and i tried, every bump im getting smashed in the ass or jammed in the thigh, NOT enjoyable

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Never tried to enter a USAC race, but it isnt the frame thats too big for me, its the seatpost clearence, even a small needs a minimum 9 inches of post to clear the tire. Its only a medium, and everything is fine, except that you cannot run a seat at a normal height! I plan on attempting a different fork today, to see what happens with that. It doesnt help that i dont sit down nor ride seats high up on any of my other bikes, it only gets in the way.
Did you put all of this - the thread, pics, and backstory - in place because you want to advertise the fact that your balls are so huge they need massive clearance?

I do get what you're saying, though. For a pro in a similar situation, see Gee Atherton. His ass is on the tire nearly every run. Not sure how his seat (or junk, actually) manages to not get snagged in the tire.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
thinking 1 of the 2 below:

1. how much longer in the reach on the bike? if its a bunch longer, than that would expain hand pain... to much weight on hands = more force into them on bumps

2. fox 40 09 bladder blown - could easily do this. it will feel ok-ish, expect it looks small bump and gets really spiky and harsh at speed. but feels pretty normal in the parking lot.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
also, that seat has a bunch of saddle behind the end of the rails. you could always try a seat that is much "shorter" ie ike this brooks where the rails basically end at the end of the seat area

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
2. fox 40 09 bladder blown - could easily do this. it will feel ok-ish, expect it looks small bump and gets really spiky and harsh at speed. but feels pretty normal in the parking lot.
I have an '08, I blew the bladder on my cartridge at the beginning of the year and the damn thing felt like a pogo stick - there was basically no rebound at all (even in the parking lot). If it's blown, you'll know.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
how many fingers do you use to brake?

If 2, then you are only hanging on with your 2 smallest fingers and putting a lot of pressure on the outside of your hands. Slide your brakes inward (toward the stem) and set the brakes up to lock just before the lever hits the bars.

What tire pressure are you running?

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I have an '08, I blew the bladder on my cartridge at the beginning of the year and the damn thing felt like a pogo stick - there was basically no rebound at all (even in the parking lot). If it's blown, you'll know.
09 is different.it is less likely to totally blow, but it will get over pressurized and partially blow out the bottom of the cart. it would need to get re-bled then, and possibly have the bladder replaced. i had it happen a few times this season.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
maybe you should be a second, exact copy of that bike and see if it makes a difference.

There may be minute angle differences between the two. Find which one makes you more comfortable, then adjust the other one a little bit. Ride that one, and adjust accordingly. Eventually, you'll be able to get at least one bike to where you are mostly comfortable on it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
09 is different.it is less likely to totally blow, but it will get over pressurized and partially blow out the bottom of the cart. it would need to get re-bled then, and possibly have the bladder replaced. i had it happen a few times this season.

gotcha. disregard my post then, I couldn't remember if it was the '09 or the '10 that had updated internals over the earlier gen

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Called out on a rain delay, the original fork is a 2010 that was new so im going to assume that its working fine, i threw on a 2009 that i am going to try. The bike never hurt my hands until i got the heavier spring on the back (which is arguably still too light) and the fork back from fox.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Tried new fork and grips, I figure it has to be the geometry, anybody lookin for a mint dh9?
_________
if i was in the market for a dh bike that has shifting issues, an apparently uncomfortable geometry and a seat that either has to be sky scraper high or tied to the top tube I'd definitely call you up.

You could probably find someone on yeti fan more than willing to take it off your hands