Quantcast

Handlebar rise

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by zibbler
How do you measure the rise on handlebars? Do you measure from the bottom of the bend to the top, or is it something more sinister than that?
Measure?
Uh... you just look at it and you can tell.

If it looks like a regular riser, then it is 1.5in.
If it looks like it is a tall riser, it is 2in
If it just barely looks like a riser, it is a 1in rise.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by -BB-
Measure?
Uh... you just look at it and you can tell.

If it looks like a regular riser, then it is 1.5in.
If it looks like it is a tall riser, it is 2in
If it just barely looks like a riser, it is a 1in rise.
what about the low rise .75 xc?

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by The Toninator
what about the low rise .75 xc?
I thought all the "Lowrise" bars were 1in...

Wait... checking Cambria...

Ah... you are right. There are a few 25mm bars. There are even some 15mm rise bars.
:rolleyes: 15mm? just get a flat bar.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
center of the barclamp to an imaginary line intersecting the top plain of the ends.
any rise is generally bad for xc racing, but for generall "trail riding" i'm into 1.5"

Tharkun

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
I am interested in this subject as well,

Was looking at TruVativ Hussefelt bars/stem combo and there was a deal on a 2" riser bar and a 75mm stem. I like the stem length because it is the longest available for Hussefelt and seems like a good length for all around riding. I am more concerned by the rise of the bars, is 2" too much? Someone said that they use 1.5" for general trail riding, and 2" just can't be too much difference. I probably wouldn't even notice. So what is the general feeling on the rise of handlebars, 2" good for all around? I have some riser bars right now on my giant warp, they are pretty low rise and I've had no problems. Just any comment on this subject would be appreciated!

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Drunken_Ninja said:
1 inch is the standard rise for xc.

flat bar users often buy bar ends to add back all of that extra weight they lost. Something to do with climbing i hear.

Well, going to a flat bar isn't usually to lose weight, it's to keep the rider(usually an XC racer) in a better position to put more power to the pedals. Barends are usually for climbing, or sprinting. You'll see some pro XC racers with those short barends, which I would think would come in handy for sprints, mashing the pedals, or when you get up out of the saddle to stretch out on a long climb(similar to having the hands on the hoods of a road bike).

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
McGRP01 said:
He said generally, which would be true. You do lose a little climbing power when you go to a riser. On the other hand, there a lot of pro XC racers going with low rise bars, namely Geoff Kabush. So maybe they aren't that bad :confused:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The rise of the bar really doesn't matter. What matters is the final hand/body position you achieve. Someone with a tall headtube and spacers or a riser stem and a flat handlebar could well have a riding position that's less XC oriented than someone on a different bike with a different stem configuration and riser bars.

MD

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
OMG... I can't believe that this thread is alive agian. Not that I remember this one, but the fact that there was almost a 2 year hiatus.

Remember Zibbler?
I wonder if she still owns her house, or if she is living on the street with no insurance, but with two sweet Hecklers.

Or how her hubby's Pool business is going.
Shoot... they had some MAJOR tornado's since then too.

:rolleyes:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
True, true, but I wasn't going there...and it's all part of hand position, anyhow.

I like my Titec Flattracker 25" wide flat bar with loads 'o sweep...8 or 9 deg.

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Whoa, that was some quickass editing work, BB...and I forgot to use 'quote,' dammit.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
-BB- said:
:sneaky:

I find that the Sweep also has a significant effect.

(is that better? ;) )
Oh, now you're just making it more confusing, but OK...

You're dealing with a dude who's at home, sick, trying to get better for a 3-month vacation leaving on Monday, and is stuck to the comp ripping CDs for his MP3 player. So count on immediate posting responses from me. 'Cuz I'm lamer and geekier than normal.

MD

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Now just copy and delete your original post, then re-post it after my RE-post, and we will be back to normal EXCEPT the fact that I quoted you already. THen I'll post it again, and you will have to post again, and on and on....
We can create a rift in the space time continuum!!!

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
MikeD said:
Oh, now you're just making it more confusing, but OK...

You're dealing with a dude who's at home, sick, trying to get better for a 3-month vacation leaving on Monday, and is stuck to the comp ripping CDs for his MP3 player. So count on immediate posting responses from me. 'Cuz I'm lamer and geekier than normal.

MD

Where are you going?

:drool:

I wish I could take off for 3 months...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
-BB- said:
We can create a rift in the space time continuum!!!
I think the dilithium crystals will fail before we manage to do it...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
-BB- said:
Where are you going?

:drool:

I wish I could take off for 3 months...
New Zealand, heh.

Benefit of being a very recent EX US Marine, who's waiting on other gov't jobs to hire him in long, bureaucratic processes. And an ex-Marine who socked away cash for 2 years to take the trip.

MD