Quantcast

Handlebar size question

BUFFALO

Vigorous Giver of Reputation
Feb 11, 2005
Renton, wa
I'm in the market for a new bar and have some questions. The current one is about 685mm wide with a 25.4mm diameter clamp size and 1.5inch rise. I'd like to try a wider bar but seem to be limited on options with the smaller clamp size. Should I get a different stem to open up more bar options or are there some bars available in a wider width with the smaller clamp size. I'm having trouble finding some and wonder if this is due to strength issues with the wider bars. I'm not really a smooth rider and don't want to worry about bending or breaking a wide and small diameter bar on a hard landing.
Thanks for any input.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Just go with bigger bars. Much more options. I'm pretty sure I've seen some 750 25.4bars but I think they were for trial.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
The Funn full on bar might fit the bill (750mm) I have them on my dh bike and I love them. As for strength, I've always heard that clamp size doesn't matter, maybe someone who knows for sure can chime in here. I wouldn't say they're the lightest or strongest, but I would say they have a good balance of the two and feel great.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I would just get another stem. You will have a lot more options and should be able to get whatever you want. Even if you don't want a bling stem there are quite a few inexpensive options...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Funn bars are cheap, especially compared to bar and stem. Dirt just did a small blurb touting how they feel like sunlike v1s.. I could agree with that since that's what I have on my other bikes. I don't think it's critical that you go up in size unless you plan on changing bars often.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Funn bars are cheap, especially compared to bar and stem. Dirt just did a small blurb touting how they feel like sunlike v1s.. I could agree with that since that's what I have on my other bikes. I don't think it's critical that you go up in size unless you plan on changing bars often.
Its easier to replace a 31.8 wide if you bend it as theres more readily available. Ive bent my protapers and it was nioce to hit a LBS in the middle of a ride (down the road a bit) and come back to ride the rest of the day and still not have to adjust to a narrower bar.
But thats just my .02

BUFFALO

Vigorous Giver of Reputation
Feb 11, 2005
Renton, wa
Thanks for the info and leads to some bars. I think I will try the Funn bars as mentioned above. It seems to fit my needs, or what I think they are, and the price is right!
Thanks again