Quantcast

Handlebar width: Are people still going wide?

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
I had Goldtec Draco and Sam DH hubs back in the day, I lived in wales, they were a Welsh brand, I wouldn’t hear a bad word about them.

They sorted me out with a free spacer for the front hub so I could get a hope mini to work, plus they sent me a milled dial to replace the crappy plasticy lever for the “climb switch” on my marzocchi drop off. I forget what the actual term Marz used for it was, but it progressively locked your fork travel down, giving you a lower AtoC measurement and a god awful rebound speed and top out clunk. A truly awful innovation that I loved at the time.

Pace, Marzocchi, Goldtec, X-Lite, Funn, Azonic, Titec, IRC… I had a lot of components from brands which have now ceased trading, or are alive in name only and are a completely different product now.
I had a 2005 Marzocchi AM1 that I bought 2nd hand. So many features including one that locked the fork at 80 mm for climbs. Coil spring in one leg too. Loved that fork.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I had a 2005 Marzocchi AM1 that I bought 2nd hand. So many features including one that locked the fork at 80 mm for climbs. Coil spring in one leg too. Loved that fork.
It was horrible IMO. It used a "bladder damper", but it was that in name-only, it had a non-functional orifice for compression and the same for rebound. No HSR circuit. Spring over a washer basically for compression. The lock-down ETA/ECC was strange, it would make it feel like you were pedaling "into" the mountain. It would keep the front end on the ground better with those low AS bikes, but it was definitely a band-aid and your bike would handle really funny with it engaged. I eventually got fed up and bought 20mm lowers and a Z1 cart for it. To be clear, the Z1 cart wasn't great either, piss poor damping circuits still...but a good bit better than the AM1.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
It was horrible IMO. It used a "bladder damper", but it was that in name-only, it had a non-functional orifice for compression and the same for rebound. No HSR circuit. Spring over a washer basically for compression. The lock-down ETA/ECC was strange, it would make it feel like you were pedaling "into" the mountain. It would keep the front end on the ground better with those low AS bikes, but it was definitely a band-aid and your bike would handle really funny with it engaged. I eventually got fed up and bought 20mm lowers and a Z1 cart for it. To be clear, the Z1 cart wasn't great either, piss poor damping circuits still...but a good bit better than the AM1.
It was mounted to a 4x hardtail that I used for trail riding. I loved it because the previous fork was a 2003 Z1 SL that I couldn't adjust much. I got the pedalling into the mountain feel but got used to it on steep climbs. Regarding non-functional orifice for rebound are you saying your rebound didn't work?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It was mounted to a 4x hardtail that I used for trail riding. I loved it because the previous fork was a 2003 Z1 SL that I couldn't adjust much. I got the pedalling into the mountain feel but got used to it on steep climbs. Regarding non-functional orifice for rebound are you saying your rebound didn't work?
You had to set the rebound extremely light, because there was no HS rebound circuit, just one ported orifice rebound circuit to control them all. Compression was similar, if I remember, it was a piston with a few holes in it for the 5 settings and each setting would cover up more holes, with a spring-backed blowoff. These were unbelievably crude and Marz should have known better. It was the "meh, it's probably good enough for mtb and riders won't care"-era. This was a little after the Z150 if I remember, they went super-lightweight with the AM1, but in every way except weight it was worse IME. Several of us built them into "ZAM1s".

The "SL" forks were pretty frustrating I remember too, for their positive/negative springs and setting height, etc.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I still don't understand the hassle around burgtec. Their design is mid pack at best and their prices are well above the quality they deliver.
Who is Burgtec? I think I heard of them in the past, but never saw them. This past month I've seen them as OE on some Santa Cruz bikes and some friends bikes.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Orange used to be very reasonably priced English shit.

Burgtec began with one product at pretty much the highest price for that particular product

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
The only bars I've ever broken or snapped apart myself were a set of Kore back in the day. I've bent a couple of others in crashes - Azonic and Easton ones. I've got Chromag on both bikes now because I like the feel (although I'll die on this hill - I swear the 31.8 clamp ones have nicer sweep than the 35mm even they they claim they're the same). Normally replace them about every three years if I';m using them for DH or Enduro.

I've seen stacks of broken Renthals but they're so popular that's probably just small percentage of a very big number. By far the majority of snapped bars I've seen in the past few years have been carbon and where people have either over tightened a clamp on the bar, or ridden them when they should have been replaced after a crash or impact. A couple of those times the handlebar stabbed the rider in the resulting crash and we've had to Celox them and get them to hospital. Really gnarly one in Trans Madeira where we were ages from a road for getting the dude out.
That reminds me of an old pro (old now, back then not so much) Aussie. Justin? Not Havikanan (sp?). Broke a bar over here mid run in Colorado. I think he was on Yeti at the time. Hence Colorado. Don't remember the brand of bar. That must've sucked. Never done it, but can certainly imagine the PTSD from that. It was on a super fast whoop section near the end, IIRC.

Totally unrelated, same bike park. They actually named a jump after him "Lip Skidder" cuz he skidded on the jump lip cuz it was his first time and didn't trust it. And wanted to come to a stop. Or so the legend goes. I think there's a video out there. It's not there anymore, but was def an intimidating feature. It wasn't big. It was just looooong. With def chances of a case-a-dilla with a side of guac.

Ah those were the days.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I own 4 sets of Burgtec flats. 2x Alu, 2x composite... All great.
And good value (at trade). Durable AF and fully rebuildable/serviceable should you so wish.
Would I pay retail? For the composites. Yes. Alu
No.
But there's not much I'd even consider paying retail for.

Oh.. And I also own a BURGTEC t shirt because. Not because Im a fanboi. But like I said they used a visually pleading logo/font... And they're cheap (to me)

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I own 4 sets of Burgtec flats. 2x Alu, 2x composite... All great.
And good value (at trade). Durable AF and fully rebuildable/serviceable should you so wish.
No.
But there's not much I'd even consider paying retail for.

Oh.. And I also own a BURGTEC t shirt because. Not because Im a fanboi. But like I said they used a visually pleading logo/font... And they're cheap (to me)
IDK. I've never really seen burgtec here in the states. If someone from around here knows more, please chime in.

I'm sure it's possible. Kinda like Nukeproof. They're about and around. But you really gotta want to get something from them. Which, in the business world, we'd call that a barrier to entry. And there's plenty of competition.

I've got one of these. And believe me, it's sweet. https://nukeproof.com/products/robe. Even the wife likes it. Mainly a "changing robe" like the surfers have. But good for all kinds of stuff. I had to really hunt that down.

Probably like someone from the UK paying for a Yeti or a Canfield. It's possible. But ya, you have to really want to do it.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
No.
Alu pedal prices are mental these days. Most people justify the insane prices they are paying with brand prestige allegations, when they are all practically made by 4 factories in Taiwan. 150 bucks and all you get is a moar commonly findable bearing size? Fuck you!

I still remember the good old days of ~50 dollar decent pedals. 200 bucks for something with "Deity" or "Yoshimura" stamped on it it's absurd. We definitely need Supreme branded pedals at $400 a set.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Alu pedal prices are mental these days. Most people justify the insane prices they are paying with brand prestige allegations, when they are all practically made by 4 factories in Taiwan. 150 bucks and all you get is a moar commonly findable bearing size? Fuck you!

I still remember the good old days of ~50 dollar decent pedals. 200 bucks for something with "Deity" or "Yoshimura" stamped on it it's absurd. We definitely need Supreme branded pedals at $400 a set.
Yoshimura is US machined, no?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Unfortunately Nukeproof is now a dead company.
Not just the bikes/frames. But all the soft goods, clothing and components too.
plenty of their products were good and many were very good value.
it's left a huge gap for affordable quality products.
Hopefully someone can fill.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Pretty sure Burgtec's OG Penthouse flats were manufactured in Wales by BETD (same place Goldtec used). and partly explains the high cost at the time. Not sure where now. Could ask Dan next time I see him. And also ask why they're not pursuing the US market. I expect it'll just be cost+tax Vs hassle.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I honestly can't justify paying most bicycle industry pricing anymore.
The only new product I've REALLY REALLY wanted in the last decade is an Aenomoly switchgrade. But despite riding a couple of times pretty much every day I couldn't possibly justify £190 (inc shipping) for a seatpost clamp to myself. Plus with 2x hardtails, 2x FS and an FS Emtb I'd want one on each. Plus I wouldn't actually want 3 positions. Just two.
Saddle nose down is fucking stupid and spazzy looking

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Unfortunately Nukeproof is now a dead company.
Not just the bikes/frames. But all the soft goods, clothing and components too.
plenty of their products were good and many were very pood value.
it's left a huge gap for affordable quality products.
Hopefully someone can fill.
Yeah I'm running their flat pedals on one of my bikes and I'm bummed I can't get more when they eventually die. They're great pedals and are proving more durable than Vaults

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Bike co-ops are a great place to dip in and pick up random parts, you can’t really expect them to have what you need, but they nearly always have something I want…

I picked up a pair of raceface composite pedals at the CFC store in Manchester, and they have been a great commuter pedal. Composite pedal bodies make so much more sense over alu (to me at least) anywhere you’re likely to hit the pedal on concrete, metal or rock. The cheapo alu platforms deformed after being pedalled in to the road, the composites don’t seem to send as much vibration through when I do clip something.

And to bring things back on track I run about 780 on my mountain bike (race face atlas) and 800mm Ritchey Kyote bar on my city/commuter. The length and forward swoop plus a pair of extra long ODI longnecks gives loads of hand positions and helps add a bit of space to the cramped top tube.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Now that we've all provided our widths, lengths, heights and girths someone should now do the data analysis.

@Gary , do you have any aliexpress pedals and have they survived the UK weather?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No.
But NOTHING survives UK weather without maintenance.
They seem to use standard sealed bearings and bushings. And look to be fully serviceable. The only thing I'd be dubious of would be axle strength. No mention of axle material.
It was just an example of what's left under shandy's 50dolla limit.
Not a lot any more

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Speaking of handlebars.... who's gone from 35mm back to 31.8??
:wave:

I went back to alloy 31.8s and won't be returning to 35s if I can help it. Depends on the brand and bar length of course, but I feel like they don't transmit as much buzz to my hands. I do think there's some nice 35mm plastic bars out there that ride well, but they scare @kidwoo , so I am honor bound to follow suit.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

The Syntace pedals I bought were silly money, but I would buy them again.
I'm not really sure what happened to the Deity T-Macs I loaned a friend, but one pedal body fell off within maybe six months of use, for some reason it spat the balls with no damage to the body.
My Syntace pedals still have zero movement, they have about 2000km on them and you just pump grease through them instead of disassembling. In saying that, you could probably screw a grease nipple in to a lot of pedals and force grease through with a proper(not bike) grease gun.

Burgtec Ride Wide bars were pretty big sellers in Oz when they came out, they were like the replacement for the Sunline V-One.
What happened to Sunline?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Totally unrelated, same bike park. They actually named a jump after him "Lip Skidder" cuz he skidded on the jump lip cuz it was his first time and didn't trust it. And wanted to come to a stop. Or so the legend goes. I think there's a video out there. It's not there anymore, but was def an intimidating feature. It wasn't big. It was just looooong. With def chances of a case-a-dilla with a side of guac.
IIRC it was Jared Graves that skidded that lip on his first run up to it. Like you said, that jump was long as by "back in the day" standards. Something like 44' from the lip to the sweet spot? And the lip was like a parking curb, only a foot or two high. You had to be rung out in your hardest gear and no braking for a hundred yards just to squeak over that thing. Terrifying.

IDK. I've never really seen burgtec here in the states. If someone from around here knows more, please chime in.
The Momentum Trail guys were importing Burgtec components for a few years about 10 years ago, I had a set of Ride Wide bars on my hardtail back then. These days, I'm starting to see Burgtec stuff (primarily stems) show up as OEM on some of the bougie brands like Yeti and Santa Cruz.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I bought a new to me bike last winter that came with 35mm stem and bars. Couldn’t get my hands to stop hurting. Tried a bunch of big soft grips. Didn’t help. Went to 31.8 PNW Range bars that I have on my other bike and the pain went away.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Burgtec Ride Wide bars were pretty big sellers in Oz when they came out, they were like the replacement for the Sunline V-One.
What happened to Sunline?
Man, those Sunline V-One bars were like everyone's gateway drug to wide bars, weren't they? I remember my first pair of 711 bars, and then the 745s. Mind blowing!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It’s such awesome logic, see, you have to pay for handlebars not once, but twice, with the 35mm on the bike and then to fix it aftermarket. F*cking genius.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Got 35mm on the Capra. Simply because that's what it came with. (Race Face Atlas) all my other bikes are 31.8 now so other than it being a slight PITA to fit a garmin or light mount can't really say I give a fuck..

What exactly was wrong with 25.4?

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
Considering they never worked particularly well that’s just dumb. At least you get a big chunk of metal for your money
right? people gushed about those things, but a generic pin pedal had better grip than those mud accumulating bricks. hard to put a price on nostalgia, i guess.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Man, those Sunline V-One bars were like everyone's gateway drug to wide bars, weren't they? I remember my first pair of 711 bars, and then the 745s. Mind blowing!
I still have one. On the push up machine. There's a post somewhere with a pic even. Recently, even.

When you heading up to a bike park? Let's meet up. I haven't done that in like forever. Family life. I'll buy you a beer. Just not the warrior princess. Keith Stone?