Quantcast

Handlebar width: Are people still going wide?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
The Syntace pedals I bought were silly money, but I would buy them again.
I'm not really sure what happened to the Deity T-Macs I loaned a friend, but one pedal body fell off within maybe six months of use, for some reason it spat the balls with no damage to the body.
My Syntace pedals still have zero movement, they have about 2000km on them and you just pump grease through them instead of disassembling. In saying that, you could probably screw a grease nipple in to a lot of pedals and force grease through with a proper(not bike) grease gun.

Burgtec Ride Wide bars were pretty big sellers in Oz when they came out, they were like the replacement for the Sunline V-One.
What happened to Sunline?
Same thing which happens to most small parts brands.

The bars were a big seller, so they expanded into some stems which were only ok and some headsets that were completely average etc…suddenly they have inventory of dozens of parts which aren’t selling - a new cool bar brand comes on the market and suddenly the whole thing which made Sunline interesting at all is kind of behind the times and the company goes under.

I’m amazed Deity managed to become a big brand after their first offerings, it’s a hard jump for many to make.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Diety make parts aimed at the DJ/pumptrack/freeride/slope market too. So I suppose won't be quite so reliant on mtb "trends".

Sunline released a headset designed to use straight bearings with no angular portion. And no expander. But instead. A sort of Snap in shim thing. An absolutely terrible design. That particular failure was way above "average"

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I’m amazed Deity managed to become a big brand after their first offerings, it’s a hard jump for many to make.
i will say its pleasantly surprised to see their longevity. i remember BITD their 3 pc cranks were relatively popular. nice that they have expanded beyond that.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
It’s such awesome logic, see, you have to pay for handlebars not once, but twice, with the 35mm on the bike and then to fix it aftermarket. F*cking genius.
Ain’t this the truth? Decided to “fix” both my bars slightly too wide and my hands go numb on long descents problems in one go. Ordered some new 31.8 bars and stem today, will cut down to 780 and report back.
When you heading up to a bike park? Let's meet up. I haven't done that in like forever. Family life. I'll buy you a beer. Just not the warrior princess. Keith Stone?
Probably never? Haven’t been to a lift served bike park in close to 10 years, I think. If I did, it’d probably be CB since it’s an hour and a half away and there’s killer trail riding as well. And honestly, I just don’t think it’d be the same without a DH bike.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Ain’t this the truth? Decided to “fix” both my bars slightly too wide and my hands go numb on long descents problems in one go. Ordered some new 31.8 bars and stem today, will cut down to 780 and report back.

Probably never? Haven’t been to a lift served bike park in close to 10 years, I think. If I did, it’d probably be CB since it’s an hour and a half away and there’s killer trail riding as well. And honestly, I just don’t think it’d be the same without a DH bike.
Did you move?
CB is classic awesome sauce. Wish it was closer. Probably one of the only places left that is best on a DH bike.
So is Steamboat. So good.
Haven't been to Keith in a while.
Sol Vista, yes.
WP, no.
Vail. yes.
Beaver Creek. Yes. Will be there (BC) around da fourf o july if interested. I just bring the eeb and go until the batt is gone. No lift needed, really. And can go early, no need to wait for lifts to spin. Fun natural trails. Then it's hot tub time machine cocktail time.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
It’s such awesome logic, see, you have to pay for handlebars not once, but twice, with the 35mm on the bike and then to fix it aftermarket. F*cking genius.
Yeah plus you need a bar and a stem for the conversion, so even if you're due for a replacement unless you've cooked both you're always getting rid of one good one.

Chromag needs to do their OSX 31.8 in a 35mm rise dammit.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
it's not compulsory, you could. Y'know... just ride your fucking bikes

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I’ve been on 35 bore alu bars since they came on my 2018 YT. I have never owned or ridden a carbon bar. Never had a problem with alu 35s but wouldn’t mind if they magically turned into 31.8 overnight.

I don’t get arm pump or have wrist issues… sensus meaties keep my XL-XXL hands happy.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I’ve been on 35 bore alu bars since they came on my 2018 YT. I have never owned or ridden a carbon bar. Never had a problem with alu 35s but wouldn’t mind if they magically turned into 31.8 overnight.

I don’t get arm pump or have wrist issues… sensus meaties keep my XL-XXL hands happy.
Yeah my 35mm bars really don't give me any crazy issues these days. I did a couple of 8 hour XC events though and by the end my hands were so fucken sore I was wishing I had foam grips or something to stop the chatter but then I remembered riding that long is stupid and that solved the problem.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Speaking of handlebars.... who's gone from 35mm back to 31.8??
Im going 35mm around soon. I prefer not feeling any flex. Most noticeable on the pumptrack bike…it really bothers me on that bike, amd thats at 750mm. I live the secure feel of a stiff bar sending a huck, but at 190lb im sure im in the weight zone for 35mm bars. Lightweights would not like them understandably.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I did back to back testing with Race Face Respond 31.8 and Atlas 35 a few years ago. After hucking a couple jumps with the 35mm bars, going back to 31.8 felt scary. I never realized how much those bars flexed!

Now I have a local brand's alu 35mm bars in my Siskiu, replaced a Chromag BZA Carbon 35 because they were too low and my back was killing me. But damn, if the alu 35mm feel stiff, those crabonz bars felt like they had adiamantum woven.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK