Quantcast

Handlebars - what do you use and why?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Right now I'm looking to change my handlebars on my Surly Karate Monkey.

I'm currently using some Easton Scandium DH Risers that I got from Salami - they are nice bars but they offer a little too much rise and not enough sweep for my current bike.

I'm looking for either a low rise bar or maybe even a flat bar with a decent amount of sweep.

I might even consider trying a set of On-One Mary Bars - but at about $45 a pop that's kind of pricey experiment at this time for me and my budget.

Some Titec Hellbents might do the trick - I had a set compliments of Mackie too at one point - but those went along with the Marin Nail Trail that I traded to Smelly. :(

So what are you Monkeys running for handlebars and why?

Help me out with some ideas please.

Thanks!

Mark

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
i use answer protapers on pretty much every bike. i like the feel of them, and they are pretty light w/o sacrificing strength.
Protapers have a pretty sizeable amount of rise on em though right Narlus?

I think I want something with about an 1" rise and a decent amount of sweep to em for the Karate Monkey. The Eastons just don't feel right on this bike.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I use a Jones H-Bar, i really like the feel of this bar, I no longer have wrist pain or have numb hands while riding......

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
MMcG said:

I think I want something with about an 1" rise and a decent amount of sweep to em for the Karate Monkey. The Eastons just don't feel right on this bike.
You can get them in a 1" rise as well, but theyre only 24.5" wide.

I use the protapers on my DH bike and a roox torque bar on my HT - though the roox bar is almost twice as heavy as the protapers.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MMcG said:

they do, but it hasn't bothered me.

try looking @ the Race Face riser; i think they make a 1" version which a friend uses on a lot of bikes.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
MunkeeHucker said:
I use a Jones H-Bar, i really like the feel of this bar, I no longer have wrist pain or have numb hands while riding......

Here's a pair that where on my KM...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
MunkeeHucker said:
Here's a pair that where on my KM...

Thanks but there is no way I can afford those bars. Plus they don't look to be too geared bike friendly.

If I could find a set of used Mary Bars, I'd give em a shot. But you see I'm on a low budget of sorts these days.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A few years ago I had some nagging wrist problems and found a little more sweep helped. A Titec Hellbent XC ended up being my favorite bar, not to tall but plenty of sweep. I ended up buying a Salsa Flat bar that has a crapload of sweep (11deg) but my wrists healed up and I just stuck with the Hellbent.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
MMcG said:
Right now I'm looking to change my handlebars on my Surly Karate Monkey.

I'm currently using some Easton Scandium DH Risers that I got from Salami - they are nice bars but they offer a little too much rise and not enough sweep for my current bike.

I'm looking for either a low rise bar or maybe even a flat bar with a decent amount of sweep.

I might even consider trying a set of On-One Mary Bars - but at about $45 a pop that's kind of pricey experiment at this time for me and my budget.

Some Titec Hellbents might do the trick - I had a set compliments of Mackie too at one point - but those went along with the Marin Nail Trail that I traded to Smelly. :(

So what are you Monkeys running for handlebars and why?

Help me out with some ideas please.

Thanks!

Mark
Dang it, THAT'S where those bars are. I've been loking for them, but as soon as I read your post I remembered sending them your way.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Westy said:
A few years ago I had some nagging wrist problems and found a little more sweep helped. A Titec Hellbent XC ended up being my favorite bar, not to tall but plenty of sweep. I ended up buying a Salsa Flat bar that has a crapload of sweep (11deg) but my wrists healed up and I just stuck with the Hellbent.

Wanna sell me that Salsa bar?