Quantcast

Handlebars.

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
Well since you are in the Seattle area, I would suggest Fluidride. If they dont have them in stock, they should be able to get you a set in a couple of days (FSA/Gravity is in Woodinville).

If you want to play mail order, universal cycles says that they have them in stock.
Alright, thanks. I go right by fluidride frequently. (My trumpet lessons are right up the next street)

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Haven't ordered them yet because I can't decide on color :P. Not green or black or gold. Sooooooo blue, orange, purple or red.
i have the orange ones on my rig right now they are rad, i also have the blue ones. my team mates have the black, gold and purple ones.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I went with the 777's. They feel amazing. The bike corners better, jumps better, and just feels a lot more stable all together.
Nice. I just put those same bars on my trail bike (chopped to 750mm). Looks like you need to roll your bars forward a bit though, to get a little bit of upsweep. It'll make your wrists much happier.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
...Looks like you need to roll your bars forward a bit though, to get a little bit of upsweep. It'll make your wrists much happier.
I would say the same thing. When I first put mine on, I had them semi-flat like yours. Spent a few minutes riding around the street, rolling them up, riding, rolling.... Now they feel great. From behind, they look just like a large aircraft wing. Totally personal setting, but I think the no-rise makes it a bit harder to just eyeball the up-sweep/back-sweep ratio to match riser bars.

Funny, the logo ends up pointing down at something like 70* from horizontal once they are rotated to the right spot (for me).

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Sorry to bring this thread back up but I need a replacement for my Controltech House Carbon bars which decide to crack after three months riding. Problem is I love the 5deg backsweep and 4deg upsweep but can't find any other bars with the same specs, any ideas?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Welcome to the new century. IIRC the OG protapers were around 690mm. ANYTHING current would feel more controled than those for somone your size.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Sorry to bring this thread back up but I need a replacement for my Controltech House Carbon bars which decide to crack after three months riding. Problem is I love the 5deg backsweep and 4deg upsweep but can't find any other bars with the same specs, any ideas?

YEA cheap carbon!!! :rolleyes:

I dont think you will find anything with that little back sweep unless you go to an old school 25" wide XC bar. The simple reason is that it is not ergonomic. The 'right' angle will change a bit depending on the relationship between shoulder width and bar width. As bars get wider WRT shoulders, the angle should increase.
The ONLY possible reason I could think of the House bars being so straight (other than a typo) is because they are really narrow compared to the designer. For a 'normal' hight individual, that same proportion would dictate something like a 24 or 25 inch bar....

If you go with a little wider bar, you will need a bit more sweep to 'feel' the same as the CTech bars. You can also roll a bar to increase one sweep while decreasing the other. If you found something with less upsweep, you could roll the bar to gain 'up' and loose 'back'....but no matter what, you will most likely have to get used to a little more sweep.

FullMonty

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
I give a thumbs up to my Sunline v1 762 flat bars. Feel VERY comfy, perfect width for me, and the aggressive position is great.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
YEA cheap carbon!!! :rolleyes:

I dont think you will find anything with that little back sweep unless you go to an old school 25" wide XC bar. The simple reason is that it is not ergonomic. The 'right' angle will change a bit depending on the relationship between shoulder width and bar width. As bars get wider WRT shoulders, the angle should increase.
The ONLY possible reason I could think of the House bars being so straight (other than a typo) is because they are really narrow compared to the designer. For a 'normal' hight individual, that same proportion would dictate something like a 24 or 25 inch bar....

If you go with a little wider bar, you will need a bit more sweep to 'feel' the same as the CTech bars. You can also roll a bar to increase one sweep while decreasing the other. If you found something with less upsweep, you could roll the bar to gain 'up' and loose 'back'....but no matter what, you will most likely have to get used to a little more sweep.
A few of my mates have Sunlines and it feels like you are riding an 80's girls bike, 9deg of sweep is retarded I'll go 7 max. A while ago people were saying wide bars position your weight further over the front which is good, now people are saying more sweep is the go which would put you in a similar position to a narrower bar.
Shame these have no rise-http://www.sixpack-racing.com/shop/product_info.php?info=p24_SIXPACK---Handlebar-Driver780-XXL-Flat-780mm.html

FullMonty

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
A few of my mates have Sunlines and it feels like you are riding an 80's girls bike, 9deg of sweep is retarded I'll go 7 max. A while ago people were saying wide bars position your weight further over the front which is good, now people are saying more sweep is the go which would put you in a similar position to a narrower bar.
Shame these have no rise-http://www.sixpack-racing.com/shop/product_info.php?info=p24_SIXPACK---Handlebar-Driver780-XXL-Flat-780mm.html
FYI, flat bars only bend in one direction, the up and back sweep numbers are probably calculated with the bar rotated so the logos are facing direct front.

Soooo, if you just laid them on a flat surface, they probably have more than 7* of sweep! :eek: :weee:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Shame these have no rise-
Not exactly, the more sweep is for your shoulders so you dont end up in pain, the low and wide is still putting your weight further forward, but with the width, if you keep the sweep the same, your actually tweaking your shoulders a bit, this is why there are different designs available, and why some work for some people, others for other people. its all about matching the bars to your body build. Me for example, My shoulders<roadie measurements> are 50 cm apart, for road thats a 50cm bar, pretty straight forward, not so straight forward for Mountain bikes, I run a 30 in bar, with a little bit of sweep, put me over the front of the bike in a very natural position, and because my shoulders are also pretty wide, I dont need much sweep to keep my shoulders also in a god position, while you take the same bars for a kid that only has 42 cm shoulders, now he is reaching extra wide for his body, his shoulders are not pointed alot out, and his wrists will be in a goofy position, that kid would need more sweep for the wider bars.

That make more sense on why you look at sweep?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm also not a huge fan of a lot of backsweep and I really like my Spank 777s...Sunlines didn't feel "right" to me like the Spanks do. I don't know the exact numbers off the top of my head though.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
it seems to be a nice handlebar got one on my dirtbike cut to 720mm

really like it in the undergound carpark...
didn't get to really ride the bike so far :(

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Another option to consider is the Nuke Proofs, they are 30", and lighter and cheaper than many other options.
Yep, that's what I went for too. CRC sell them (well, they pretty much own them too).

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
plus sweet cutting guides. :rofl:
How wide do you want to go?

Reverse are doing 820mm bars!

http://dirtmountainbike.com/news/reverse-820mm-bars.html
This seems to be the way of the future, instead of companies offering multiple lengths, they seem to be narrowing it down to just one wide ass bar, indexed so the customer can but them to whatever they want.... The question is....... What will they do with warranty if a custome cuts the bars down........

I do agree though 820 is just ****in retarded

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Well it is if you are a 6'5" beanpole and have narrow shoulders. Bar width is based on shoulder width. You go too wide, you lose leverage and then can't turn, no matter how wide your bars are.
Ya I dunno, I'm 6'7.5" with pretty wide shoulders and anything wider than like 30.5 feels like it's getting too wide. You'd have to be REALLY beastly to go with 820. Maybe like Huck Banzai, he might be bigger than me.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I just got some of the new 780mm Element Nickel wides, 280 grams, REALLY good bars!
You mean the flats? I love mine but they are 760mm and the real weight is 299/298g based on my measuring and one found on rm though I'd rather have them closer to that and not bend like the nuke proofs (or the what is rumored to happen with atlas)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Turns Australia is sold out of Funn bars, I have been forced to order a horrid looking Pro bar, oh well at least its ugliness will match the rest of the bike.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Got the Pro Bars decided to run them at 750mm which I have learned after punching a few trees is too wide for me, the bike seems to bounce around more through fast rock sections as I can't absorb as much shock through my arms. I have ordered some Old School shaped Controltech Venom bars which will be cut to 720mm, I tried the trend and I don't like it.

Found this(I love Dirt Mag)-http://dirt.mpora.com/news/wide-bars-fashion-or-function.html

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
So it turns out the Pro Vanderham bars bend very very easily so I'm going to order two more of the Controltech Venom bars as they are the best shaped bar ever and they are much stiffer than the Pro. I just wish there was a 30mm rise option as 20 is just a bit too low on my hardtail.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Got a chance to put some time on the deity blacklabels.

Love the lower stance and wide grip makes throwing the bike into a lean and cornering a bit more solid the lower front is nice for cornering... sofar i like them full length and will hammer them this week to get a real solid feel between the park and some runs down from the mountain.