Quantcast

Handmade Bike Show 2008.

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
I wanted to. Looks like a pretty good showing and few friends will be there too. But alas too many ice climbing trips have left me a slightly broke man. Enjoy the show!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I know there are a lot of local builders that don't get a whole lot of attention outside of this area, so I hope to see some sweet local stuff.

I will get as many pics as I can for sure.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was thinking about driving up, but I suspect all the riding spots between here and Portland will be covered in snow.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was thinking about driving up, but I suspect all the riding spots between here and Portland will be covered in snow.
You are correct, sir. There is much snow to be had at the moment. It's starting to piss me off, but I'm in no shape to ride yet anyway.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I'll be there. I plan on doing a comprehensive photo section of the entire event. That is if I can make with all the snow we have.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I'm bummed that it moved - it used to be conveniently held at walking distance from my work.

it's a must for any true bike fanatic - some amazing pieces are shown and the palace reeks of passion for anything bike related.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Still coming together but it looks like I will be there. Was great to have it in San Jose but I think it's pretty cool they can move around a bit. Portland builders have quite a scene happening to it makes sense to move up there this year. Looking forward to seeing some good friends and some fine bikes!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Well, I guess I'm not going after all. Turns out this weekend is The 33rd Annual Pacific Northwest Sportsmen’s Show. How could I pass that up? Hand made bikes are cool, but this has a casting pond!

The largest show of its kind in the Northwest, this year’s show promises to thrill outdoor enthusiasts from every standpoint.

Offering staples that include casting ponds, a free kids’ trout pond, seminar theaters and camp cooking, the 2008 Sportsmen’s Show will again be the leader in bringing you the one of a kind displays.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Well, I guess I'm not going after all. Turns out this weekend is The 33rd Annual Pacific Northwest Sportsmen’s Show. How could I pass that up? Hand made bikes are cool, but this has a casting pond!
I am || close to exercising my neg rep powers. How dare you get our hopes up?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am || close to exercising my neg rep powers. How dare you get our hopes up?
Oh please! I'm a redneck, but I'm not a "sportsman".

I did hear there were no photos allowed. Can anyone confirm that? I am taking my camera, just in case.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
http://handmadebicycleshow.com/2008/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=33

6. Can I take pictures?
A. Yes, as long as you ask the builder in advance if it is OK.

I'm not sure what the point of a show would be that you couldn't take photos at.......

You actually had me worried there for a minute JD :lighten:
Most likely there will be some very innovative "one-off" types of designs/frames/set ups so it might be to protect the intellectual property of the builders/designers.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Most likely there will be some very innovative "one-off" types of designs/frames/set ups so it might be to protect the intellectual property of the builders/designers.
If they are displaying it a show that is open to the public, they're not trying too hard to keep it a secret. I suppose they might be worried about international rip offs if pics get on the web but that's always a risk.

Here's a little preview from cyclingnews with a profile of Tony P, cool guy doing great work in Portland:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2008/shows/nahmbs08/?id=results/nahmbs081

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You actually had me worried there for a minute JD :lighten:
Nice work! I hadn't checked yet, but a friend at work said that you couldn't take pictures last year. I thought it seemed odd because they are on display, but you never know.

I will be bugging all sorts of people. I want to do as much research as I can before I take the frame building class at UBI this spring. You have to start somewhere, right?

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
Eh damn I was planning on busting out the new camera (canon 40d wooooooo). What is this ask permission stuff? Oh well I will take it and see how it goes.

jimmydean: that UBI school in Ashland looks cool, a little too much $$ for me though :( Please post your thoughts on the class after you take it.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
jimmydean: that UBI school in Ashland looks cool, a little too much $$ for me though :( Please post your thoughts on the class after you take it.
I can't afford to take time off for the full class, but I am doing a weekend TIG welding seminar. It's a 2 day class they offer between the brazing and welding courses. It's about 50/50 classroom/lab and they focus all on the welding aspect, not frame geometry or design.

Cutting, fitting, and welding cromo and steel. They do cover a little bit of aluminum setup and talk about Ti, but they said they focus on steel and form. The same basic technique applies with minor setup mods for different metals.

I know a few people that have gone to the school and it's supposed to be as good as it gets.

<edit> That 29er is pure sex right there. :drool:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I will go through my pictures tonight and post up any that might be worth it.

I have to say, there were some awesome bikes there, but getting pictures was a huge pain in the ass. Every time I tried to get a shot, some obnoxious hipster stepped in the way. I wanted to start clubbing people, but I refrained.

What I found funny was the announcement "Everyone who locked their bike to the handrail must move it or the lock will be cut." They announced this about every 15 minutes because as soon as everyone moved, a new batch would show up.

I would think a sign on the handrail would have been more effective.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My personal favorite, Titanium 29er from Black Sheep Fab that was just good looking:

BME Bamboo:

BME's version of the squirrel catcher:

Cool pinstripe at the Spectrum Powder booth:

Th original squirrel catcher:

This ride from Cloud Nine was just elegant:

A $10k ride for my daughter:

Cool web gusset work (ala West Coast Chopper CFL frame)

I hope RM got better pics because I am not a photo dude. But I did talk to a few cool people and saw some very slick rides. I got very tired of fixies, seems that's the staple for the show. Followed by the SS 29er, of course.