Quantcast

hands go numb when riding exercise bike/trainer

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
2008 Giant STP with stock seat set up on my trainer thingy...

After about 25 minutes my hands go numb. I pedal both sitting up fully and holding onto the bars.

Someone said my seat is pinching nerves and causing the numbing.

I know there are many different, expensive seats that help deal with this issue but since I'm not working, I can't really afford to buy a bunch of seats.

I do have some lycra shorts with the padding which I will try next time I pedal.

Thoughts/suggestions?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
question - is your front wheel on a block? if not, your front end is lower than usual and is putting extra load on your hands.

also, an STP on a trainer :rofl: that's your first problem

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
STP is all I have. I guess I could put my six inch all mountain bike on it.. or my bmx bike.

I do have a non-knobby on the rear.

I'll throw a 2x4 under my front wheel.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Make sure your wheels are relatively level. As for saddles, spending the $125 for a Specialized saddle was worth it. They have tools to measure your butt so that you get the right one. My boys have never loved riding so much.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Make sure your wheels are relatively level. As for saddles, spending the $125 for a Specialized saddle was worth it. They have tools to measure your butt so that you get the right one. My boys have never loved riding so much.
how is a saddle going to keep his hands from going numb? :confused:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Im assuming you don't get the same issue riding outdoors, or you would have mentioned that. I'd do a double check on your hand and wrist positions, as well as your shoulders. You may be pinching a nerve or two with a poorly angled limb.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
how is a saddle going to keep his hands from going numb? :confused:
Someone said my seat is pinching nerves and causing the numbing.

I know there are many different, expensive seats that help deal with this issue but since I'm not working, I can't really afford to buy a bunch of seats.

I do have some lycra shorts with the padding which I will try next time I pedal.

Thoughts/suggestions?
If his saddle doesn't fit or is positioned incorrectly, he will be adjusting his position improperly and putting more weight onto his hands. Hence, saddle is most important.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, he's using a street/jump bike on a trainer. i suspect he won't be putting on a split rail ball fondler saddle for proper fitment.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Stoney not in this case I already said he is on a trainer but has not leveled the bike. No matter how well his seat fits him that is not going to change that. If you hands are too low they are too low.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Stoney not in this case I already said he is on a trainer but has not leveled the bike. No matter how well his seat fits him that is not going to change that. If you hands are too low they are too low.
I did not see that he was not leveled. Basic assumption if you are on a trainer...

your lack of anatomical knowledge is astounding.
No isht dumbass

1. See above for my first post.

2. Bars too low = hurting hands/numbness
2b. Assuming level and front end not TOO low, bad fit/saddle will make shift you to have more weight on your hands.

It all works together. If your hands are too low, instant pressure. If you are level and still having the issues, look at what else might cause you to shift weight forward.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
1. See above for my first post.
see my first post. i beat you to the punch

2. Bars too low = hurting hands/numbness
2b. Assuming level and front end not TOO low, bad fit/saddle will make shift you to have more weight on your hands.
this is more affected by saddle height (and fore/aft adjustment) than actual saddle fitment. but yes a sh*tty saddle is sh*tty and puts you in a bad riding position.

then again, this is a DJ bike, and isn't intended for long periods of seated pedaling.

yeesh. stoney gets his first bike fit and he's suddenly an expert :rolleyes:

did you get a free team replica kit too? or just stay at a holiday in express ;)

mark, you know i'm just busting your chops here right?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
yeesh. stoney gets his first bike fit and he's suddenly an expert :rolleyes:

did you get a free team replica kit too? or just stay at a holiday in express ;)

mark, you know i'm just busting your chops here right?
I know that from my prior nut/hand issues. The fit was for a kind of riding that is barely considered normal.

Asshat

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
holy english!

1. last time I rode my trail bike (six inch squishy) my hands did go numb riding up the 3-4 mile hill to the trail head.
2. the seat post on the STP is fully extended and my legs get full extension (or whatever it's s'posed to be, I used a tape measure based off my height to position the seat post)
3. I put real toe straps on it, so I really feel like I'm an extra in Breaking Away.

I did throw a 2x4 under the front wheel, I think I need to add a bit more wood or something to make the wheels level. I was able to ride for 15 minutes yesterday with zero hand numbing but that's not really long enough to see if the problem has been fixed. The numbing usually sets in around the 25+ minute mark.

As to why I'm riding to nowhere... I initially purchased the trainer to help fix my knee. But since I'm currently sitting here with a broken shoulder, I want to stay in shape. Sitting and pedaling is pretty much all I can do...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
holy english!

1. last time I rode my trail bike (six inch squishy) my hands did go numb riding up the 3-4 mile hill to the trail head.
2. the seat post on the STP is fully extended and my legs get full extension (or whatever it's s'posed to be, I used a tape measure based off my height to position the seat post)
3. I put real toe straps on it, so I really feel like I'm an extra in Breaking Away.

I did throw a 2x4 under the front wheel, I think I need to add a bit more wood or something to make the wheels level. I was able to ride for 15 minutes yesterday with zero hand numbing but that's not really long enough to see if the problem has been fixed. The numbing usually sets in around the 25+ minute mark.

As to why I'm riding to nowhere... I initially purchased the trainer to help fix my knee. But since I'm currently sitting here with a broken shoulder, I want to stay in shape. Sitting and pedaling is pretty much all I can do...
trying rolling your handlebar slightly forward or back. I've had that issue before when the bar was at the proper height, and it was the sweep angle (as impacted by the bar rotation) causing the issue.