Quantcast

hanebrink forks?

ifouiripilay

Chimp
Sep 1, 2005
san diego, north park
i bought my bike from a guy who bike builds and sells. the bike itself is a couple yrs old but was sold to me brand new just a couple months ago. the guy had it in storage for yrs and decided he wouldn't be riding it. haven't heard to much about these forks, only that you either like em or hate em. . .

do any of you know how to adjust/ work w/ them? i was considering buying a new fork but only after i put this to work. so far its done all i've ask. what do you think of them?

ifouiripilay

Chimp
Sep 1, 2005
san diego, north park
i have a turner rfx 02 bought it for 1125. brand new when i got it no cable rub, no scratches what so ever.
6" front and rear,
romic shock,
xtr rear
xt front
diablous
king headset
321 mavic wheels
hadley rear hub
holzfeller cranks
just put on e 13 tensioner

Attachments

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
Hanebrink forks are very unreliable, and not a terribly good choice. HOWEVER, you have a rippin bike. Like bacardi said, ride the fork till it craps out and get something else. Youve got a sick ride there.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
hanebrink are crap. i proto their long single crown fork a while back. bent the steerer tube and the damping on fork never worked. no matter what we tried.
buy a marzocchi when that dies or buy one now. you'll love your bike more...

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
DHS said:
hanebrink are crap. i proto their long single crown fork a while back. bent the steerer tube and the damping on fork never worked. no matter what we tried.
buy a marzocchi when that dies or buy one now. you'll love your bike more...
that is true, they are pretty darn junky. Id take a junior t over one in a heart beat.

Feb 24, 2005
Dude ditch that fork before it gets you hurt!! I went through three of them in about two months a few years back and one had an automatic lock out when you dropped anything over 3ft it would not rebound back until you got off the bike and kicked the front wheel!! No kidding it took kicking the front wheel to get it un-stuck?? The fork I had was the G-7 {7'inverted dual crown}. Its the one that Mtn.Bike Action mag had done a review on and showed Dan Hanebrinks $50k machine he had built to test his forks!

Now after I went through the first one in a week they were pretty cool with sending me another one! After the second one a few weeks later they told me I was riding it beyond its means and it was more for use as a XC/trail bike fork?? 7'dual crown xc fork? They got kind of pissy with me and didnt want to send me a new one but they finally did after a phone call a day for a week! The third one in another week and no one there wanted to deal with me at all? I finally got Dan himself on the phone and I tried to remain calm and civil about the matter until he started using alot of 4 letter words and thats when I let him have it! I told him I could have saved him the $50k on his fork testing machine if he would have only bought me a 6pack of taco's from TacoBell I could have told him his forks were piece's of S@#T and he would be $50,000 richer! He didnt much care for that so he sent the fork back to me about half fixed and I sold it to someone I knew would not actually use it for anything! They claim their forks will handle a 300lb man dropping off a 15ft cliff where I found out it couldnt handle my 180lb butt off of a four ft. cliff? Dont buy Hanebrink forks because they are JUNK!!!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Wow, haven't seen a Hannebrink thread or fork in a while. They need to be pulled apart often to feel good, which is pretty easy to do. They tend to twist in the crowns a lot, like after crashes.

Like DHS said, you got a great bike that will be even better with a Marzocchi.

ifouiripilay

Chimp
Sep 1, 2005
san diego, north park
thanks guys.... this all good info..
i got a friend who loves these forks... as for me, these forks seem to be doing the job but i've been look for a good fork to replace it... just gotta save the $$$.

any suggestions for a replacement that has 6" of travel

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
DID YOU KNOW THAT? Dan Hannebrink does not make his own dampers, instead he buys them from coffin companies, they are a stock non adjustable coffin lid strut. that being said get a 66 on that thing and go have a good time.
NOW YOU KNOW!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah, general consensus on any forum is that Hannebrink sucks.

HOWEVER, if they're doing the job for you, don't replace 'em just because a bunch of internet geeks say they suck :D. Take your time and save some money, just be aware that the Hannebrink could blow on you and try not to be too suprised or disappointed when it does.

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
I raced on a Hanebrink for 3 years with very little maintenance, no problems at all. Maybe I got the only good one who knows? After 3 years it did need to have the damper rebuilt but that's probably true for most forks.

rainbow_smoke

Monkey
Sep 19, 2003
Bellingham, WA
ifouiripilay said:
thanks guys.... this all good info..
i got a friend who loves these forks... as for me, these forks seem to be doing the job but i've been look for a good fork to replace it... just gotta save the $$$.

any suggestions for a replacement that has 6" of travel
If your doing big stuff and want something strong go for the '06 66, if your lighter and don't need a 66 get the z1, that or a 888, but just get the 7", the 8" might be overkill for that frame, and get the rc, not the vf, ssv is ok but hscv is so much better!!