Quantcast

Hanging Bikes Vertically

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Search doesnt seem to be working for me so here goes...

I need to make some space in my house for my new kid, Colt a 1-1/5 year old black lab. I was thinking of getting a rack that held the bikes (2) vertically by the front wheel. Any harm in doing so? I assumed not as anytime I see photos from WC races, most of the bikes in the tents seem to be hung by the front wheel.

Im running a Fox40 and Pike if that matters at all

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
There should be no problem hanging them vertically but there is something you need to do everytime you pull the bikes off. Cycle the fork and shock a couple times before you ride. Depending on how you hang them (fork up or fork down), the oil might settle and you'll have to cycle the suspension to get the oil back to where it's supposed to be.

All my bikes are hung on the wall vertically for storage and I've yet to have any problems.

ryanrider

Chimp
Nov 20, 2007
In some instances ( I think..), hanging your bike vertically can help to lubricate the fork internals and such. Can anyone confirm this? I remember hearing about it a while ago...

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
It won't harm your brakes but hanging them will let you know how good of a bleed your brakes have. Small air bubbles from the reservoir can move into the brake lines when the bike is vertical. Sometimes just pumping your brakes will bring them back if not getting a good bleed will fix the problem.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
There should be no problem hanging them vertically but there is something you need to do everytime you pull the bikes off. Cycle the fork and shock a couple times before you ride. Depending on how you hang them (fork up or fork down), the oil might settle and you'll have to cycle the suspension to get the oil back to where it's supposed to be.

All my bikes are hung on the wall vertically for storage and I've yet to have any problems.
Fox actually recommends storing the 40 upside down to keep the seals and bushings lubricated with the bath oil.

Nov 11, 2007
norcal
My Reba started leaking oil out of the Floodgate when upside down. There was a little puddle on the floor. Now I just hang that bike by the back wheel instead of the front.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
My Reba started leaking oil out of the Floodgate when upside down. There was a little puddle on the floor. Now I just hang that bike by the back wheel instead of the front.
Yeah, in my experience that's a RS trait, got 6 bikes hanging in the garage and the two with Revelation forks hang from the rear wheel to keep the oil in.;) My Fox 36 must have better seals.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
If you are storing your bikes in the garage, I recommend getting a pulley system. you can pull the bikes all the way up to the ceiling so they are out of the way and you will save wall space for shelves. you can hang your bike upside down or upside right w/these systems. i have a fox 40rc2 and 36rc2, since getting those i have been hanging the bikes upside down.

you can find the pulley systems almost anywhere now and i have seen them for less than $20.00. the are the best bike storage system for long term or short term storage imo.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
I've seen a lot of different forks leak while hung by the front wheel. It's fine for a month, but longer than that, and I'd flip them around and hang by the back wheel. The seals are for dirt, not really to hold in the oil for long periods of time.

mtbrider106

Monkey
May 23, 2009
auburn
i hang my bike from my celing for years now and no problems, and the brake bleed job will show if your bike is hung bars up, i have seen in my l,b,s the the fork will leak over time if hung down towards the floor