Quantcast

Hanging Bikes??

Roachmeister

Chimp
Sep 13, 2001
Canada. Great White North
Well, as winter approaches, i'm starting to think about how i am going to 'store' my bikes for those cold winter months...

Is it ok to hang them by the front wheel? Could it be bad for the Fork or wheel itself? If it matters, my DH has a Shiver and my XC a Judy. Any inputs appreciated. :thumb:

J

JRB

kinghami3 said:
It doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Why not hang it by the back wheel?
I hung a bike that belonged to a friend's fiance for a few months by the back wheel, and her Magura Marta on the back filled with air. I hang mine by the front wheel. That is the only brake that had issues, but it did.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
loco said:
I hung a bike that belonged to a friend's fiance for a few months by the back wheel, and her Magura Marta on the back filled with air. I hang mine by the front wheel. That is the only brake that had issues, but it did.
Who woulda thunk it. That's good to know though.

Roachmeister

Chimp
Sep 13, 2001
Quote From Bigmike : I hang my bikes up year round, but thats because they get ridden year round. Why would you want to hang them up for a few months?

Mostle because of the snow...! I'd rather ski instead during the winter...
A pic is worth a thousand words

So no biggy for the fork and such then ? Thanks guys. :D

Attachments

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Over here, the DH season ends in October and starts in mid-may or early June. That's more than 6 months! I personnally completely disassemble my DH bike and puts the parts away so I won't see them. :(

edit: oops too late...

Roachmeister

Chimp
Sep 13, 2001
FlipSide said:
Over here, the DH season ends in October and starts in mid-may or early June. That's more than 6 months! I personnally completely disassemble my DH bike and puts the parts away so I won't see them. :(

edit: oops too late...
What's up FlipSide? :) Long time no talk! You actually take it apart? Yikes... :eek:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I'm going good!... :D

Yes, I live in an appartment and I have 4 bikes in a very small room. For the winter, it's no luxury to have the DH bike out of the way.

Actually, what I do is I leave the fork crowns + stem/HBar/shifter/rear brake + rear Derailleur on the bike, I remove everything else and I hang it on the ceiling. The rest of the components goes in a box until next spring. It's actually a very good way to start the next season with a "fresh" setup. I don't have the money to start with a new bike every year...so I start with a fresh build! ;)