Quantcast

Hanging modern stuff on an old frame

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
I have a mid 80s Bianchi Professional (with Ishiwata 220 tubing) and I was looking at what it would take to moderize this frame. I have some questions that I have with doing this.

I have 1" of clearance over the TT is that enough? Also the current setup (stem and handlebars) are a bit long. I need to shorten it by 1.5" (was thinking the only way would be the stem).

I plan on cold setting the frame and then squaring up the rear dropouts so it will work with new 10sp stuff.

Being somewhat heavier(220) I am going to build my own wheels. I have a clark kent front hub that I want to use on something.

Also the big question.
I have worked as a wrench for a year in a shop and was exposed to SRAM and Campy stuff but never got to ride any. What do you guys like?

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
i have always liked shimano. first road bike i built up was with Ultegra, then called 6oo and it lasted. so i've always stuck with it. do you have experience with cold setting frames? if not then i'd look for a local builder to have them do it. TT clearance is fine, and yes you would have to go to a smaller stem.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Don't know if you've seen this already; it might be helpful: http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

As for the groupset, I use older Shimano stuff and it works great. Campy, SRAM and Shimano all make good stuff right now, so I think it comes more down to your preferences as well as prices and weights. But for this particular frame, I might suggest Campy Athena. Never used it, but people seem to like it, price isn't too high (relatively) and it comes with a more classic look (alu levers and rear mech) that might suit the bike better than alternatives.

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
I did read sheldon browns article on cold setting.
Most of the people I have been asking seem to be steering me to campy. I need to put my leg over a campy bike to try it out.

I did measure my self for a ball park fit and my frame is 2-3cm too large. :(

This means I need to find a new frame.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I was thinking it might be too big if you thought that the bars needed to move so much back. Thought about buying just a new bike? Maybe not as interesting to you, but you'll get a much better deal than building it up yourself...

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
Yea I have thought about it but was hoping to do this on the cheaper, since I already had a frame.
The bike that I was looking at building is currently setup as a fixed gear and I really like the way it rode. So if I did buy a bike I would like to get a steel one.

Just have to see how things work out.
Thanks for the help guys.

splat

Nam I am
a few Years Back , My Wife wanted to upgrade he 1979 Fuji Professional, After being told by Several Bike shops that we could not afford to replace that Frame,we decided the upgrade path. So I bought her a campy Chorus Groupo, then we took it to a local Frame builder ( Hot tubes ) , where he spread the triangle and re-aligned the entire frame. she has been very happy with it ever since.

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
I found out there is a frame builder in Richmond VA, right up the road from me.

First I need to sell a bike to make room and funds. Initially the funds were going to go to components but it looks like now it'll be a frame. I am not a roadie by any means so I really dont need the latest go fast carbon bike. Just something comfortable to ride.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Go test ride a bike and pick your group. I don't care for SRAM. Some love it.
Shifter hood is different between the 3 choices. If it doesn't suit you, it can be annoying. It seems trivial but you spend an awful lot of time there not to be comfortable.

I've cold set many frames as a professional. The hard part is keeping it aligned, which will require a special gage. Not worth buying if you have a decent local shop.