Quantcast

Happenings at the LBS... I stopped a crime!

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
So i work in the bicycle department of a sports store in San Francisco called Lombardi's Sports.

any way, its kind of a big store, so we have an elevator and 2 floors and all that cool stuff.

So a week or two ago, this guy comes in who looks quite legit, you really wouldnt think anyhting of him. he is pushing his baby in a stroller and walks from the elevator right to our department to the road bikes. He quickley picks a road bike that is his size, which happens to be a Trek Madone (what lance rides). He begins to sit on it and all of us employees asked him if he needed help, but he would always say that he had already been helped, even though none of us had actually helped him. so after we all decided that he was just off and didnt want help, we began to help other customers. as soon as we were all busy he tried to get on the elevator with the bike. my boss sees this and asks if he needs help, and all he could think of was "i'm going for a test ride" so, my boss, being smarter then most, says "well first off, its Pouring out we dont allow test rides in the rain, second off, that bike has no pedals. Also we dont have any information from you to make sure you arnt a theif and you have a baby" the dummy doesnt say anyhting just hands him the bike and leaves.

SOOOO, the other day, guess who came back wearing the exact same clothes, with, i assume, the exact same baby, incase you didnt know, it was the same guy. this time he had some sort of plan, which consisted of actually asking questions and not going directly for the bikes. Well as soon as he got off of the elevator i recognized him and ran and got my boss and told him that he was here and my boss came out and alerted the general manager of the store as well as the security guard. My boss told me to keep and eye on this guy and stall him by answering his questions. while i did this pretty much all of the employees of lombardi's set up a sting operation to catch this guy. eventually my job of stalling ended becasue he didnt have anymore questions, so i sat down and began to build a bike stand. he looked around and noticed everyone was busy again, so he walked the bike towards the elevator and leaned it against a clothing rack. then he came back and got his baby. he said thanks, and i just sorta nodded at him, as soon as he was out of ear shot i got up and was ready to tackle him, but my boss told me about the sting thing we had going on. he basically was allowed to walk right past security and into the parking garage. after like 1 minute, my boss and the large security guard walked down there amd confronted him. He had taken the wheels off and was sticking the bike in his car. they asked waht he was doing and he, of course, said he was going for a test ride to a safe palce for the baby, as this was going on some other employees closed the gates of the parking garage and the cops came. Long story short, this guy was charged with a felony and his baby was taken away becasue he/she was used as an accsessory to a crime.

Cops said that this guy had oodles of tools in his baby carriage, including like 4 different types of sensor tag tools. He also had sacks of cycle computers, gloves, and other accessories that he had stolen from other bike shops.

i was so happy that this guy got caught!

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
wow i just feel bad about the baby, now he has to be taken away because of his stupid mistake

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Thats cool man, good on you for helping to get that fool off the streets!

monkeyboy424 said:
im like a 100% sure he has his baby back already...
Are you sure because you know him? If not, he probably doenst have his kid back, especially if he is being charged with a felony and probably somthing for posetion of all that stuff. Sounds like the dude will probably be serving a little bit of time, and that makes him unfit, which means the child goes into foster care.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
what you say may be true, but the mother showed up to take the kid, but the police wouldnt let her. the weird thing was th mother wasnt even up set, she seemed genuinley pissed that he didnt get away with it.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Clever. Make sure you have a baby with you for that quick getaway.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I cant understand how people can be so stupid...to try it once and not get away with once and then to come back, with a baby no less, and attempt it again....glad he got caught... especially for putting any sort of risk to his baby

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
the thing that really cracks me is that he attempted to try again in the exact same outfit! he must have thought we were stupid or wouldnt remember becasue it is a bigger store...