Quantcast

Happy 4:20 you dorky Stoners!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
The number 420 is a euphemism for cannabis and its associated culture. The exact origin of the term is unknown, although there is much speculation and many urban legends about its origin. Smoking marijuana at 4:20 (preferably AM, as 4:20 PM can be construed as 16:20) or on April 20 has special meaning to some.

Origin theories
Snopes.com and The Straight Dope claim that in the early 1970s a group of teenagers at San Rafael High School in San Rafael, California used to meet every day to smoke marijuana after school at 4:20 PM. The time became a code word for the drug, and usage spread. 4:20 PM has since become a popular time to "smoke up". (It's also worth noting that 4:20 PM is the time of LSD creator Albert Hofmann's first deliberate ingestion of the substance, in 1943 on what was later dubbed Bicycle Day; perhaps this is where the San Rafael teenagers picked up the idea.)

Another possible origin of the term can be found in the works of H. P. Lovecraft. A short story of his, entitled "In the Walls of Eryx" and first published in Weird Tales [34, No. 4 (October 1939), pp50-68], contains this passage:

I had encountered at least one of those curious mirage-plants about which so many of our men told stories. Anderson had warned me of them, and described their appearance very closely—the shaggy stalk, the spiky leaves, and the mottled blossoms whose gaseous dream-breeding exhalations penetrate every existing make of mask...Although everything was spinning perilously, I tried to start in the right direction and hack my way ahead. My route must have been far from straight, for it seemed hours before I was free of the mirage-plant's pervasive influence. Gradually the dancing lights began to disappear, and the shimmering spectral scenery began to assume the aspect of solidity. When I did get wholly clear I looked at my watch and was astonished to find that the time was only 4:20. Though eternities had seemed to pass, the whole experience could have consumed little more than a half-hour.

In 1955, Raj Kapoor directed a film entitled Shree 420 (Mr. 420), a reference to someone who has a reputation for theft and deception, since apprehensions for such crimes are usually section 420 of the Indian Penal Code.

Other theories include the following:

*Urban legend claims, incorrectly, that 420 is or was a police code for a drug bust.
*It was, at one time, believed that there were 420 chemicals in marijuana.
*April 20th, or 4-20, is the last day on which one is supposed to plant cannabis seeds.
*April 20th, or 4-20, is the birthday of Adolf Hitler.
*The Beatles song "Come Together" is 4:20 in length.

Occurrences
*The number 420 is common in classified ads describing housing or individuals which permit or encourage marijuana use ("420 OK"). This practice is common in socially progressive communities such as Craigslist. One such "Housing to share" listing, from the Santa Cruz Sentinel in 1994, read:
Rm avail Veggie household. 420. No pets M pref
*Many of the clocks in the movie Pulp Fiction are set to 4:20. (It is often erroneously claimed that all of them are.)
*In an episode of the show Futurama called "The Farnsworth Paradox", an alternate universe where everyone is a hippie is numbered as Universe 420.
*The Lovecraft theory for the origin of 4:20 was first postulated on the official web-site for the rock band Tool.
*The California law that authorizes and regulates medical uses of marijuana was Senate Bill 420 (Chapter 875/2003, Vasconcellos).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Dude, thanks for reminding me or it would have like totally slipped my mind.

Has anyone seen my box of Oreos?

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
So I am totally freaking out......... this troll doll started teaching me about the origin of 4:20............ And it was like he had infinite wisdom man..............Like time and space was the same thing.....................Whoa!

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
"Diclaimer"(I would like to point out that I have no affiliation nor coallition with the term 4:20, or the veiws and ideals brought with such association)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
huh... wha?

Good thing I called in sick today

huh? wha?

I'm going to go ride and "celebrate"

huh? wha?

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
I tore my ACL / royaly fawked my knee exactly one year ago... Heh, dont ride bmx bikes and try to go grinds after to many bongs. But alas. All of y'all should enjoy this day no matter your preference.

.. I got the day off, my bike, a fresh sac, and some northshore trails to work on. Its gonna en excellent day.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Drugs are bad mmmkaaay....

golgiaparatus said:
N8: You forgot to add that April 20 = Hitlers birthday... how awful is that.
Yeah and to think last night my roomie convinced me to Bic my head and i didnt even realize that it was hitlers bday till they mentioned it when it turned 12.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I cannot wait to get off work before 4:00pm to continue the day's festivities. A 4/5 of Cointreu and a sick dub o' BC Big Bud x Mikado await me. I even heard a rumor of peanut-puna butter cookies for later this evening. Can I get a witness!

Height 6 feet. Flowering time 7 wks. Veg 1 wk for sea of green. Yield 8oz full size. 3/4oz in a 2 gal. pot. Harvest outdoor Oct 7.

mostly indica. The finest fourth generation male Mikado with all the typical Mikado traits was selected for this cross. Male flowers started to show under 18 hours and opened quickly under 12. The BC Big Bud variety originated from Sensi Seed Bank, it has Sativa leaf structure and has been acclimated to the Vancouver area for many years. Classic Big Bud girth and flavour. It has the potential to be a massive producer with a short flowering period.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
April 20th, 1994. 4:20am....Location; Zark's dorm room.....Current activity; sleeping with girlfriend.

<knock knock>
Me: "F*ck off!"
<unknown perp. jimmies door with credit card>
my buddy Darren: "Dude get your bong, its 4:20!"
Darren puts a 10 pound bag of swag in front of me
Me: "Dude, you wake me up in the middle of the night for this cr*p?! Wake me up when you got the KGB!"

Ahh college.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
llkoolkeg said:
Can I get a witness![/B]
Got a jar of G.O.D. at home... this year's cannabis cup winner, aww jeah. Gonna have a get together with a bunch of friends later for a taste test of many different strains. Rumor has it Widow is in the house and some kind of super dank BC grown strain, as well as something called Mountainberry.

:evil:

steelewheels

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
El Scrocho has treated me well this rainy day stuck inside strippin down my new beater for a flashy paint job. Hitlers bday? Nazi Pope? How can I fit Bush in to this conspiracy?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i wouldn't think many stoners are familiar w/ Lovecraft's work.

fun fact - when in college i lived on the same street (waterman) which HP did (in providence).

ridecruz888

Chimp
Feb 8, 2005
its now 4:20 here in colorado :D

good times...everyone ignore what i post from this point out for the rest of the night :blah:

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
golgiaparatus said:
Got a jar of G.O.D. at home... this year's cannabis cup winner, aww jeah. Gonna have a get together with a bunch of friends later for a taste test of many different strains. Rumor has it Widow is in the house and some kind of super dank BC grown strain, as well as something called Mountainberry.

:evil:
Sour Diesel, Super Skunk, Blueberry for me.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
N8 said:
The number 420 is a euphemism for cannabis and its associated culture. The exact origin of the term is unknown, although there is much speculation and many urban legends about its origin. Smoking marijuana at 4:20 (preferably AM, as 4:20 PM can be construed as 16:20) or on April 20 has special meaning to some.

you almost take the fun out of it :nope: