Quantcast

Happy 75th Birthday Planet X!!!!!

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
OK, Not really a birthday, more like an anniversary.....

Planet X - later renamed Pluto - was discovered 75 years ago today!

Oh, you didn't think I meant the bike company Planet X, did you???

Any other Monkeys into astronomy/space?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Mackie said:
OK, Not really a birthday, more like an anniversary.....

Planet X - later renamed Pluto - was discovered 75 years ago today!

Oh, you didn't think I meant the bike company Planet X, did you???

Any other Monkeys into astronomy/space?

Dr. Tombaugh (discoverer of Pluto) was a friend of my parents back in the 60's and 70's. He was a frequent guest in my house as I was growing up in Las Cruces NM (Mesilla Park to be more exact). He worked on stuff at White Sands Missile Range as did my dad (who was a preverbal Rocket scientist).

He used to take us kids to his observatory and let us look at the stars and planets in the summers at NMSU.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
N8 said:
Dr. Tombaugh (discoverer of Pluto) was a friend of my parents back in the 60's and 70's. He was a frequent guest in my house as I was growing up in Las Cruces NM (Mesilla Park to be more exact). He worked on stuff at White Sands Missile Range as did my dad (who was a preverbal Rocket scientist).

He used to take us kids to his observatory and let us look at the stars and planets in the summers at NMSU.
That's seriously cool.
Closest I can get is that I've had a few friendly converstaions with Neil deGrasse Tyson, the head of the Hayden Planetarium, at the AMNH.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Dang! I thought you were talking bikes. Oh well.....here's a pic of mine just to make this a bike related thread :cool:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
N8 said:

Thank you Cliff Clavin

J

JRB

Morryjg said:
Dang! I thought you were talking bikes. Oh well.....here's a pic of mine just to make this a bike related thread :cool:

Nice bikey. :thumb: