Quantcast

Happy first timer

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I've gotta say I'm really digging running the rigid as a single gear. It's my first offroad singlespeed--I had a townie bike I built a few years back, and a BMX, but they weren't quite the same.

I thought I'd have run back to at least a rear derailleur by now, but honestly, this thing has put the bike back into biking for me. No more messing around with derailleurs to adjust or bend, cables to lube, shifters to wear out, or even suspension of any kind to tune.

And climbing has been relatively easy with the 34x18, which I had not been expecting. I've shocked myself over the past two days with climbs I assumed I might only make after a few months of training. Standing and running on the pedals feels far more efficient on this bike than my f/s.

I think this is largely due to the fact that I'm riding dirt road, [horrendously torn up] pavement, and doubletrack for the most part, although I have hit the singletracks that I can along the way, and they've been fun. When it's gotten techy while climbing, though, it has been pretty tough and I've spun out the rear wheel or stalled outright a few times. I think I'd be getting far less enjoyment out of this if I was trying to ride the trails I used to ride in CA.

But it's just been tons of fun, and while a great workout, it's been relaxed, easygoing riding. Totally digging it for now. And it makes everyone laugh and smile (and kids shriek endlessly) as I cruise up a footpath or through the village.