Quantcast

~~~Happy Humpday Morning!!!~~~ (official)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
That would be my choice as well.
I've never ridden 40 miles in one shot on a MTB, but I'd consider giving it a try. What's the course like Stosh? Is it smooth singletrack or is it pretty technical?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
stosh said:
I f'd up one of the seals on the fork I"m fixing.
How? I said you had to kind of force it on but?? What did you do to it? Call up bikeparts and see if they can get you another one. Don't hit it with a hammer or anything.....jdcamb

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
stosh said:
Do you remember seeing some of the course the last tiem you rode MTA?

Anyway they have a BBQ after and during the race the hang prizes from the trees and stuff so you can stop and pick them up.

If you guys want you can come down the day before to pre-ride and camp/stay at my house.
Perhaps you could field a Team Asshat made up of assorted RM denizens...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jdcamb said:
How? I said you had to kind of force it on but?? What did you do to it? Call up bikeparts and see if they can get you another one. Don't hit it with a hammer or anything.....jdcamb
Thats pretty much what I did but I used a rubber mallet.... They were super tight and I almost couldn't get them in with a hammer.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
MMcG said:
I've never ridden 40 miles in one shot on a MTB, but I'd consider giving it a try. What's the course like Stosh? Is it smooth singletrack or is it pretty technical?

it should be a pretty fast course / mix of dirt roads & singletrack, not that technical.....no big hills

I'd like to finish in under 5, but hopefully close to 4 hours

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
There is a lot of up and down but no major climbs. All kinds of tech stuff, some long straight runs, and some great wooded single track. MTA has a little bit of everything from swamps to open fields and rocky rooty climbs/decents. I think every once and a while they throw in some open roads to give the riders a break and I know the start of the race is on the road for about 1/2mile to thin the pack out. Last year they had 200+ racers. All racers went pretty much at the same time except the pros went 5-10min ahead of everybody else.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
douglas said:
it should be a pretty fast course / mix of dirt roads & singletrack, not that technical.....no big hills

I'd like to finish in under 5, but hopefully close to 4 hours
You didn't think it was that "techy"?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
stosh said:
You didn't think it was that "techy"?
Maybe Douglas could compare the trails at Stewart to trails here in CT such as Case, Soapstone, and Nepaug - those are all trails that I consider pretty technical and because they are - they tire you out much faster than say smooth Kingdom Trails like singletrack.

So Doug, how does the MTA trail network compare to say Soapstone or Case or Nepaug?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
douglas said:
compared some of the CT trails IRB & MMcG ride, STA is less techy

didnt we do like 20 miles in under 3 hours just goofing around?
it's called MTA or Stewart Buffer Zone.

Gottcha!! I think thats why I like it because you can really cruise on some of the trails.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
last time I rode Stewart (STA) was summer '03 - after the snow melts I'll have to get back down there, so I can do a better comparison.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
Didn't we try that last year??

Screw it, I say we go with or wothout stosh. We just find some trails there and friggin ride them. :D

I want to hit Stewart - if Stosh can join us that would be awesome, but if he can't it could still be a good destination for a bunch of Monkeys to meet and ride (Treesaw and Squirrel, Douglas, Mackie, Jackson, NYC based Monkeys, Jackelopes, etc. etc.) :thumb:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MMcG said:
Stosh - have you ever ridden the trails at Ninham??
nope, the only trails I've ridden on that website are Stewart, Camp Orange, Plattekill(if you call falling down the mtn riding)

edit: and Vassar

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
TreeSaw said:
Monring/Afternoon!

Surprised by a 1 hour delay this morning :D

Now, I am off to the music store to pick up some new tunes for my kiddies to play.
My GF was hoping for one this morning too but it never happened....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Shyrmp said:
Good Morning Stosh! :D

Went for a small bike ride along the ocean last night....other than that not much else is new.

Have a good day! :)
Thats so funny because I went for a bike ride along the ocean last night too.... oh wait.... no I didn't......

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
TreeSaw said:
I was actually pretty surprised and I didn't think that we'd close yesterday either, but we did :cool:
The local school district extends up into the Shwangunk(sp?) mtns so they close sometimes when we don't have a lot of snow.