Quantcast

~~Happy Humpday Morning~~~

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
How is everybody today?

So RIP you got something important to say or something?

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Not really.

Morning :stosh:

Well my new wheels are done, now I just have to wait to get back to nh to pick them up. Otherwise nothing interesting going on here.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Good morning :monkey:s. This week is going by fast....too fast. I have SO much work to finish :eek: Tonight I will be spending some time on the trainer and making homemade banana cream pies for my mother-in-law's birthday. Tomorrow I have to drink in honor of the Irish and do mounds of work for 2 seminars I am teaching on Friday. Not sure how I am going to get it all done.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
back to volleyball lastnight after 4 weeks off........I stubbed my tow real bad Sunday, its a nice black/blue & red - only hurt a little until a teammate stepped on it - umm, ouch!

10day forcast says 40 °F plus predicted for Sunday on !! :D

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Hi!

Ok I do have something....

Just like the last time I purchased a bike I'm making myself go thru the run-around.

Saturday I put a deposit on an MKIII Tuesday I spoke with some of my online friends and came to find out that I'm paying $700's to much. So now I'm in the process of getting my deposit back but I have to drive an hour down there tonight after work.
I knew I was paying to much but I didn't know I was paying that much more. Last time I bought a bike online it came without anything being done to it at that shop. This time it's going to be fully put together then lightly disassembled.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
douglas said:
back to volleyball lastnight after 4 weeks off........I stubbed my tow real bad Sunday, its a nice black/blue & red - only hurt a little until a teammate stepped on it - umm, ouch!

10day forcast says 40 °F plus predicted for Sunday on !! :D
I might try to ride...

J

JRB

Good morning. I found this weekend that the rims are cracking on Julie's wheels. They are 517s with some rough miles, so it is to be expected. I ordered some silver 317s from Universal for $30 each. I also decided to get 14g spokes for her, since I am a tightwad. She says she won't notice the 1/4 lb it adds. Rip's wheels reminded me of that. That's all I've got.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Intervals to increase maximum power output. Spin up to a high cadence in with low resistance then crank up the resistance to the point where you can just move the pedals go for all you are worth for 15-30 seconds. If done properly you can't do more than 30 seconds or so. Fully recover between sets.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
stosh said:
How is everybody today?
Getting a wrought iron rail installed at my place today. Now that's exciting. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

F'in insurance company says that the steps need a rail or they will drop us.
Damn you allstate! :mad: :mad: :mad:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Westy said:
Intervals to increase maximum power output. Spin up to a high cadence in with low resistance then crank up the resistance to the point where you can just move the pedals go for all you are worth for 15-30 seconds. If done properly you can't do more than 30 seconds or so. Fully recover between sets.
Interesting....*thinks to self I'll give it a try and see if I die*

I can always use more power, but what I really need is speed.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
G'mornin!

Had a fun ride last night with evilbob and snacks :D - the mosquitos tho are already coming out full force. I'm looking forward to the rain today.

Does it ever seem to anyone else that Ayn Rand was right - the disease of mankind is the increasing inability of the average person to want to think for themselves? Or take responsibility for their work/actions?
Case in point - our marketing lady - I confirmed with the head boss dude that requests for brochures for partners go to her for printing and mailing etc. She asks - do you want them customized or generic? I said "generic". Two days later (this request is due on Friday btw and I gave it to her last Wednesday)...so - sorry to have to ask you more questions - but did you want to have the partner's contact information on the back of the brochure? well uhhh - no cuz that counts as customizing the brochure. Today (and again we're about 2 days from the last question) third email - so do you want a logo on the front for the partner? gahhhh!!! I said generic! general! not specific! not special! growl -

why can't people just print up the request as it was formed and if I made the error let me deal with it?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Morning! Finally a nice day in the north country!! Going over to my parents to help my dad tape and mud his garage and then GOING FOR A RIDE DAMMIT!!!

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
TreeSaw said:

Aren't they one & the same? Except when going downhill I suppose - then it's maybe the ability to let go of the breaks...my continuing problem :p

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
gotta order up some fancy new parts for my new 5 spot today. I need some cranks and hubs. Going for Race Face Deus cranks, but I got no idea what I want to get for a hubset.
Anyone got any hub/wheel suggestions? It'll be going on a 5 spot that will mostly just be trail ridden, although I may hit a dirt jump or two with it. I think i'll probably go with Mavic 721's for rims. I'm thinking I may build two wheelsets (But that's more $), a lighter and a heavier set. Originally I wanted a King hubset laced up to 721's, but Kings just went up in price, to the point where they aren't worth the cost IMO. I'm thinking about a set of Hugi Freeride hubs, but I may go cheap and get Onyx hubs. I've also considered a set of 240 discs, but i'm worried they may be too fragile, and it seems kinda contradictory to build a superlight hubset into a heavy duty rim. Or I could just get XT hubs, which aside from roasting a freehub body once a year and being heavy have served me well in the past.
yeah, that's my day.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
TreeSaw said:

Power/weight=speed. But power has to be considered over time. How much power can you put out for 5 minutes doesn't mean much in mountainbiking as how much power you can put in over a few hours. What is described above is a maximum power workout.

I only half way know what I am talking about here so take it with a grain of salt but max. power is easily lost. It is better to work on endurance and overall fitness this time of year. If you do max. power work outs only do it one day a week to prepare your muscles for more power work outs later in the year.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
McGRP01 said:
Morning! Finally a nice day in the north country!! Going over to my parents to help my dad tape and mud his garage and then GOING FOR A RIDE DAMMIT!!!
This must be the time of year for drywall'ing. Seems everybody is doing it right now.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Smelly said:
gotta order up some fancy new parts for my new 5 spot today. I need some cranks and hubs. Going for Race Face Deus cranks, but I got no idea what I want to get for a hubset.
Anyone got any hub/wheel suggestions? It'll be going on a 5 spot that will mostly just be trail ridden, although I may hit a dirt jump or two with it. I think i'll probably go with Mavic 721's for rims. I'm thinking I may build two wheelsets (But that's more $), a lighter and a heavier set. Originally I wanted a King hubset laced up to 721's, but Kings just went up in price, to the point where they aren't worth the cost IMO. I'm thinking about a set of Hugi Freeride hubs, but I may go cheap and get Onyx hubs. I've also considered a set of 240 discs, but i'm worried they may be too fragile, and it seems kinda contradictory to build a superlight hubset into a heavy duty rim. Or I could just get XT hubs, which aside from roasting a freehub body once a year and being heavy have served me well in the past.
yeah, that's my day.
Looks like you are going to have a nice Spot :) Based on some of the other parts on your build-namely the 721s, you may want to consider the Atlas cranks instead of the Deus. They just seem a little out of place-ie too light.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Dogboy said:
Looks like you are going to have a nice Spot :) Based on some of the other parts on your build-namely the 721s, you may want to consider the Atlas cranks instead of the Deus. They just seem a little out of place-ie too light.
I thought about that. Still thinking about it actually. I'd like to save weight where I can, and I've never busted any cranks, but closest I came was bending a square taper XT bb a few years back. I figure I won't really be slamming on the things, so lighter ones should hold up just fine. But then again, I'll be running a DRS (26-36, but I'm mainly running a bash because I never use the big ring, not because I like to run into stuff, and before I had the DRS I had major problems with chain dropage in really gnarly sections), so maybe it's worth the extra 100 grams for the Atlas. Are the Deus cranks really that fragile?
I'm going for 721's because I like running 2.5 tires, and I'll pinch flat like crazy on anything narrower. It's also nice having a sturdy wheelset beneath me that rarely has to be trued.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
today is good. went to a local trail last night to let of so steam. i was happy to see my lights and battery are in great working condition. It has been way to long since my last single track adventure at night. i had forgotten how much fun it is. everyone.. instead of sleeping this evening go to a trail and instead sleep at work.. tell your boss i said it is ok :rolleyes:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
hooples3 said:
today is good. went to a local trail last night to let of so steam. i was happy to see my lights and battery are in great working condition. It has been way to long since my last single track adventure at night. i had forgotten how much fun it is. everyone.. instead of sleeping this evening go to a trail and instead sleep at work.. tell your boss i said it is ok :rolleyes:
YOu ever ride upstate?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Jr_Bullit said:
Does it ever seem to anyone else that Ayn Rand was right - the disease of mankind is the increasing inability of the average person to want to think for themselves? Or take responsibility for their work/actions?
i don't quite understand what a generic brochure is supposed to be myself, but i fully agree. :D

i am up early because i have my last final of the quarter in an hour and a half. it's kind of scaring me. :dead:

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
I bet you could have built her wheels with straight 15s or at least the front.
They didn't have any, but she is plowing over crap, and at a stage in her mountain biking life where she is trying to kill her wheels. I never trued those wheels when I rode them, and true them every three rides for her. I don't know what she is doing. Do you have a tension tool? I think Kevin does, but thought I would check you, too.

*edit - now Mr. Frugle is critiquing. :think:

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
Yeah, I have the park tension-o-meter.

Actually, I've decided to save up until I can afford a better wheelset for the Jamis. And when I rebuild my wheels, I go to DB.
Can I borrow it? What kind of wheels??? No Kings I hope. :eek: The cost is scary. I like my Hugi's. I like Julie's Hopes a lot, too.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
loco said:
Can I borrow it? What kind of wheels??? No Kings I hope. :eek: The cost is scary. I like my Hugi's. I like Julie's Hopes a lot, too.
I would say hugis would be my first choice. My old set is still going strong and I like the ones on the banshee. Going to look into the WTB and see who makes them.

King priced themselves out of my market.